Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trunk Rattle fix PSA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The sound at the back of my MY seemed to be that the rear tailgate wasn't tightly shut. I smeared some goop on the two bumpers (I used mayonnaise but you can use the condiment of your choice) and found that the bumpers were not actually touching the insets next to the rear floor. I unscrewed the bumpers a little, then a little more, and finally they made contact. I've had no tailgate rattle since.
MY Rear Tailgate Bumper.jpg

The sound at the back of my MY seemed to be that the rear tailgate wasn't tightly shut. I smeared some goop on the two bumpers (I used mayonnaise but you can use the condiment of your choice) and found that the bumpers were not actually touching the insets next to the rear floor. I unscrewed the bumpers a little, then a little more, and finally they made contact. I've had no tailgate rattle since.View attachment 1009283
To screw them are you just twisting them with your hand or using a tool?

The sound at the back of my MY seemed to be that the rear tailgate wasn't tightly shut. I smeared some goop on the two bumpers (I used mayonnaise but you can use the condiment of your choice) and found that the bumpers were not actually touching the insets next to the rear floor. I unscrewed the bumpers a little, then a little more, and finally they made contact. I've had no tailgate rattle since.View attachment 1009283
LMAO Mayonaise. Definitely should've tried that.

I’m still hunting for one rattle somewhere in the back of the car. Sound like plastic piece is touching a panel or glass. Removed all the trunk panels, sealed the clips, removed left part of the trunk soft padding, sealed plastic there… And still it’s there on some of the bumps. People who sit on rear seats say it somewhere in the trunk.
PS I did all the same “improvements”, found a bolt that was not tightened from the factory..

Where was the bolt?

Reactions: VipinLJ