Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Trunk Rattle fix PSA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've finally able to fix the rattle I've been hearing both from the trunk and rear seats.

These are the areas which were generating the most rattle for me. Steps to fix:

Rear Seats

1: Middle seat - press the middle button to open middle seat, find electrical tape or any kind of tape and wrap around the metal pole several times to make it thicker. Push the middle seat back, it might take slightly more power but it'll snap back more solid (no more wobbling). This alleviated a lot of the middle cabin noise. I'm still trying to see what kind of material is best here, as the seats still make an annoying sound if you hit a big pothole (ie, the latch will make a sound)
2: Lean back both seats - press and hold both ends of the rear seats and push them back until a CLICK happens. Make sure a CLICK happens. There is an upright mode, and a leaned back mode, if you leave it in the middle inbetween (no click) the seat is basically free floating and creating sound.

Trunk

1: The 2 circles, the plastic of those literally are free floating on top of the metal. When you bump over a bump, the trunk literally slaps the plastic into the metal. I ended up putting some rolled up rubber tubing underneath the plastic (had it lying around), you can try a small sponge or any kind of filler material to stop the slap. Sound was much better.
2: There are two more rubber stops at the bottom of the trunk, increase the height of those as you see fit, the trunk should be snug once latched.

These fixes have made my Model Y whisper quiet, at least from a cabin point of view. The suspension can still be improved but that's $$$$ for another day.
1704922591817.png

Can you explain more about exactly
Where to put the tubing or sponge material? Thanks.

The 2 circled areas above, if you press the edges of the plastic, it actually sticks up against the metal, if you hit it with your finger, it makes a nasty high pitched smack sound like cheap plastic hitting metal.. You can either stuff sponge inbetween or rubber tube to stop the sound. I managed to find some tube. Sponge might soak up the rain water and grow mold.

Below is a diagram of what I basically did, I just shoved tubing in there so there it can still move but the tubing creates some sound isolation.

This area causes the harsh sounds when you go over larger potholes. I'm guessing the trunk moves more than the plastic, and thus the plastic ends up slapping the metal. Adding tubing here basically creates a dampener, you can hear the differences immediately.

Diagram below how I installed the tubing:

Grey is plastic, Blue is the metal, I just shoved some horizontally.

1705027073800.png

Just did another drive today - these fixes remove pretty much all the noises I'm currently experiencing in the cabin.

In fact I'm looking at a better solution for the trunk side, the rubber seems to remove 80% of the sound but still has a bit. Potentially need a thick rubber piece instead of tubing.

I hope Tesla take note as well, the side trunk plastics are way too just unshielded and often time slap against the metal, making this really nasty sound when you go over potholes.

It's pretty insane that the factory releases a 60-80k car with these ridiculous noise artifacts.

Reactions: rockinshoe
Just did another drive today - these fixes remove pretty much all the noises I'm currently experiencing in the cabin.

In fact I'm looking at a better solution for the trunk side, the rubber seems to remove 80% of the sound but still has a bit. Potentially need a thick rubber piece instead of tubing.

I hope Tesla take note as well, the side trunk plastics are way too just unshielded and often time slap against the metal, making this really nasty sound when you go over potholes.

It's pretty insane that the factory releases a 60-80k car with these ridiculous noise artifacts.
I used some left over rubber feet from an old network switch.. 2 for each side. Those have a nice adhesive backing. Haven't been out for a ride yet so dunno how it works but the plastic piece definitely doesn't contact the metal. You could maybe use those cabinet stoppers as well. Rubber strips with adhesive backing would probably work best though.

Reactions: SimplyWyn
Thanks for posting. Been doing a lot of rattle and noise mitigation in my 23 MYLR with the help of this forum. Fixed a rattle in my seatbelt guides on the B pillar and have tightened up several clips under the front hood and rear hatch using foam and/or felt tape. I have found that if any of my headrests are elevated the least tiny bit they rattle like hell.

Reactions: reefer_bob
I’m still hunting for one rattle somewhere in the back of the car. Sound like plastic piece is touching a panel or glass. Removed all the trunk panels, sealed the clips, removed left part of the trunk soft padding, sealed plastic there… And still it’s there on some of the bumps. People who sit on rear seats say it somewhere in the trunk.
PS I did all the same “improvements”, found a bolt that was not tightened from the factory..

Reactions: SimplyWyn
Thank you for the reporting and precise guidance. 😉

Does anyone clunk coming from the front every time they take some bump or hole? Have you solved it in any way? I'm going crazy
Don't store loose things in glovebox, console, frunk
One time I heard noise in front. I removed the chained keys in the glovebox and the noise disappeared.
Another time I heard noise on the frunk when driving on freeway. I inspected and found dead leaves in the area below the windshield.

I’m still hunting for one rattle somewhere in the back of the car. Sound like plastic piece is touching a panel or glass. Removed all the trunk panels, sealed the clips, removed left part of the trunk soft padding, sealed plastic there… And still it’s there on some of the bumps. People who sit on rear seats say it somewhere in the trunk.
PS I did all the same “improvements”, found a bolt that was not tightened from the factory..
What do you mean sealed the clips? What trim did you remove and how did you remove it? Thanks. Any diagrams would be great.

Don't store loose things in glovebox, console, frunk
One time I heard noise in front. I removed the chained keys in the glovebox and the noise disappeared.
Another time I heard noise on the frunk when driving on freeway. I inspected and found dead leaves in the area below the windshield.
Unfortunately, these are not the things reported by you. It is a metallic noise, similar to what a car produces with damaged rods. But I tried to replace them and nothing. The service says it's normal for him to make that noise, but in other Y's I haven't heard it.

What do you mean sealed the clips? What trim did you remove and how did you remove it? Thanks. Any diagrams would be great.