Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Flat tire experience - broken valve core

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A week ago, as I was checking the tire inflation on my 2021 Model Y, one of the valve cores broke. The tire instantly deflated. Fortunately the car was parked in my driveway.

I didn't know what to do because this was the first time a valve core broke on any of the vehicles I've ever owned or driven. I'm 67. I've owned and driven a lot of cars and filled many tires with air.

I called a few businesses that fix tires and offer mobile repair. None would come to my house.

I'm a AAA member, so I called for a tow. The driver was very familiar with Teslas. The car was towed to Discount Tires, where I bought my tires four months ago. There was no charge for the tow.

Discount Tires replaced the broken valve core for free.

Lesson learned: keep a spare tire and a jack in your car.

A week ago, as I was checking the tire inflation on my 2021 Model Y, one of the valve cores broke. The tire instantly deflated. Fortunately the car was parked in my driveway.

I didn't know what to do because this was the first time a valve core broke on any of the vehicles I've ever owned or driven. I'm 67. I've owned and driven a lot of cars and filled many tires with air.

I called a few businesses that fix tires and offer mobile repair. None would come to my house.

I'm a AAA member, so I called for a tow. The driver was very familiar with Teslas. The car was towed to Discount Tires, where I bought my tires four months ago. There was no charge for the tow.

Or just don't play with the valve

Did you consider simply submitting a service request via your Tesla app? Likely they would have just sent over a mobile service car. Need to be careful with those air valves. They are not the simply rubber ones from back in the day. FYI same with most Any OEM car today.