Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

flat tire Model Y- what will roadside assistance cover?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a flat tire (model Y). We tried to put air in the tire to drive it to a local repair shop (Discount Tire), but the tire will not hold air, so we can not drive it.
The car is currently in our garage.

I have read that if I call Tesla roadside assistance, they can give me a loaner tire, but I will get charged for either a repair (if repairable- $121 or so) or new cost of a new tire through Tesla ($400+).

Ideally, I just want to get the car to Discount Tire to see if they can repair it, or I would just buy a replacement from them

We do have AAA, but I am hoping to save a AAA call, nd wondering if Tesla Roadside Assistance can help without any (or not too much) of a cost.

If Tesla Roadside assists you, they're not going to take your tire to Discount Tire. They will follow through with repairing or replacing your tire. They don't work for Discount Tire, right?

I have a flat tire (model Y). We tried to put air in the tire to drive it to a local repair shop (Discount Tire), but the tire will not hold air, so we can not drive it.

I have read that if I call Tesla roadside assistance, they can give me a loaner tire, but I will get charged for either a repair (if repairable- $121 or so) or new cost of a new tire through Tesla ($400+).
Do not "read" about it, try to call them. The repair cost used to be about $70, but more recent quotes are more like $90 (for California, YMMV for different states/areas depending on local labor costs);.
Flat tire cost estimation (do they really charge $200+ for labor?)
Ideally, I just want to get the car to Discount Tire to see if they can repair it, or I would just buy a replacement from them

We do have AAA, but I am hoping to save a AAA call, nd wondering if Tesla Roadside Assistance can help without any (or not too much) of a cost.
Roadside will loan you a loaner wheel (if available) at no cost to you if you return it within 3 days. It is not conditioned on using Tesla service at all. I asked about it last time I had a tire puncture and requested one (it was on the weekend so Tesla SC wasn't open anyways during that time). The wheel is to get you to a place where you can repair or replace your tire. The loaner agreement they have you sign has no condition that you must use Tesla service to repair or replace your tire.
https://www.tesla.com/support/roadside-assistance#request-roadside

Although the SC didn't seem to care, if you get a loaner wheel, take good pictures of the existing condition before or immediately after it is mounted. The one I got was very beaten up. Technically according to the agreement, Tesla can charge you for damage to the loaner wheel.

One way however you can possibly resolve your issue is if you find the hole, you can get a very inexpensive plug kit at any auto parts store, which can get you over to a Discount Tire for a more proper repair.

Last edited:

Compare what Tesla Roadside Assistance vs what AAA would cover - from what I read in the Tesla policy, they will only cover towing to/from Tesla repair center. (https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/downloads/roadside-assistance-policy-en.pdf). AAA maybe the way to go, again, based on your policy coverage.

Attachments

• IMG_0837.jpeg
    IMG_0837.jpeg
    212.8 KB · Views: 27
Reactions: fredzos