Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Flat Tire With No Cell Service?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I asked my local Tesla service location and they didn’t have an answer. Sometimes I make trips where there isn’t cell service and worried about getting a possible flat, and since the model y doesn’t have a spare it was a bit of a worry. I asked if you could use the cars service section with premium connectivity to some how contact a tow is needed? Does anyone have tips or know solutions if your in the middle of no where and don’t have cell service? I’ve seen just googling some people recommend spare tires to take along. But my main question is can you use the car to get a tow if you have a flat without cell service?

I asked my local Tesla service location and they didn’t have an answer. Sometimes I make trips where there isn’t cell service and worried about getting a possible flat, and since the model y doesn’t have a spare it was a bit of a worry. I asked if you could use the cars service section with premium connectivity to some how contact a tow is needed? Does anyone have tips or know solutions if your in the middle of no where and don’t have cell service? I’ve seen just googling some people recommend spare tires to take along. But my main question is can you use the car to get a tow if you have a flat without cell service?
No. Your car can't communicate with its server if there's no adequate AT&T LTE signal.

You might want to invest in a satellite phone option

But my main question is can you use the car to get a tow if you have a flat without cell service?

Probably not, since if you dont have cell service there is a good chance the car wont either. As @Tam said, the cars service is ATT, but even if you have another carrier and ATT has service, you would be trying to use a web page or something because there is no hotspot capability the car provides.

If you travel places like that you need to make other arrangements, either carrying a spare, or getting a device that can make calls off satellite, etc.

Google tire inflator to buy one to keep in the car. I bought the one that uses battery and has digital readout instead of analog readout. Tesla sells it too but not digital.
Besides using in emergency, you can use it at home to inflate the tires instead of going to a tire station.

Last edited:
Reactions: ColoPhoto
Probably not, since if you dont have cell service there is a good chance the car wont either. As @Tam said, the cars service is ATT, but even if you have another carrier and ATT has service, you would be trying to use a web page or something because there is no hotspot capability the car provides.

If you travel places like that you need to make other arrangements, either carrying a spare, or getting a device that can make calls off satellite, etc.
Thank you for the feedback

I’m an Apple user so that’s definitely helpful to look into thanks!

Apple uses limited satellite Globalstar features, which are texting, not voice, and not internet for now (1-year free for IP14 and 2-year free for IP15) :

That means you should be able to download and use it regardless of your cell phone providers (AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon...).

T-Mobile is also planning to partner with Starlink with the same texting features as Apple by the end of this year, then voice and internet later. However, it is delayed due to competitors' complaints so it's still pending FCC approval.

In the meantime, if your car is as big as a Jeep, a Starlink antenna is not that bad:

1698017376125.png

While communication is one aspect, logistics/environment are another. I have been in CO for 7 years now and am an avid off-roader. We have a Gen 3 Raptor (just sold our original Gen 1 Raptor a month ago to make space for the MYP) and a built Jeep and spend a great deal of time in places with little or no coverage.

Sometimes, I believe, it is difficult for those in greatly populated areas with constant traffic to understand that you could be stranded without contact for an extended period of time. Obviously, being off highway on a trail is another level of complexity. However, the logistics of being on the other side of a mountain pass or two in challenging or severe weather can leave you stranded for a timeline that can even potentially be life threatening.

I can give you an example. We went snowmobiling in Grand Lake with another couple (that do not have their own sleds) last winter. We were in our Raptor pulling our enclosed trailer and they drove their year-old Land Rover Discovery. After a weekend out, we packed up and headed away from Grand Lake. They were going to stop in Winter Park before heading over the pass. As my wife and I started over the pass, we texted to see how they were doing because the snow was starting to fall again. Unfortunately, they said when the got back in their LR, the dash lit up like a Christmas tree and they had several faults that impeded travel. One of which was a braking system fault.

No problem, right? Land Rover has a great service and roadside assistance program. We turned around and sat with them to ensure they were going to be taken care off. Two hours later, the towing service reported that they couldn’t find anyone willing to cross the pass to pick up the vehicle. We threw all of their gear in the snowmobile trailer and they rode home with us, They had to drive back to Winter Park two days later to meet a tow truck driver. Ultimately, it was a shorted wire in the rear brake light bundle but a major issue when you are across a snowy mountain pass.

In the winter, we are prepared to self-recover and spend the night in extreme cold weather if we have too. All of our vehicles have an extreme cold weather survival pack. If you never travel in these conditions, all of this is irrelevant. But, be mindful of those times when you could be crossing long passages without the means to take care of yourself and your family. I WILL have a plug kit, inflator, and spare tire (pucks/scissor jack) in the MYP as well.

While communication is one aspect, logistics/environment are another. I have been in CO for 7 years now and am an avid off-roader. We have a Gen 3 Raptor (just sold our original Gen 1 Raptor a month ago to make space for the MYP) and a built Jeep and spend a great deal of time in places with little or no coverage.

Sometimes, I believe, it is difficult for those in greatly populated areas with constant traffic to understand that you could be stranded without contact for an extended period of time. Obviously, being off highway on a trail is another level of complexity. However, the logistics of being on the other side of a mountain pass or two in challenging or severe weather can leave you stranded for a timeline that can even potentially be life threatening.

I can give you an example. We went snowmobiling in Grand Lake with another couple (that do not have their own sleds) last winter. We were in our Raptor pulling our enclosed trailer and they drove their year-old Land Rover Discovery. After a weekend out, we packed up and headed away from Grand Lake. They were going to stop in Winter Park before heading over the pass. As my wife and I started over the pass, we texted to see how they were doing because the snow was starting to fall again. Unfortunately, they said when the got back in their LR, the dash lit up like a Christmas tree and they had several faults that impeded travel. One of which was a braking system fault.

No problem, right? Land Rover has a great service and roadside assistance program. We turned around and sat with them to ensure they were going to be taken care off. Two hours later, the towing service reported that they couldn’t find anyone willing to cross the pass to pick up the vehicle. We threw all of their gear in the snowmobile trailer and they rode home with us, They had to drive back to Winter Park two days later to meet a tow truck driver. Ultimately, it was a shorted wire in the rear brake light bundle but a major issue when you are across a snowy mountain pass.

In the winter, we are prepared to self-recover and spend the night in extreme cold weather if we have too. All of our vehicles have an extreme cold weather survival pack. If you never travel in these conditions, all of this is irrelevant. But, be mindful of those times when you could be crossing long passages without the means to take care of yourself and your family. I WILL have a plug kit, inflator, and spare tire (pucks/scissor jack) in the MYP as well.
Thank you so much for your feedback and examples. I feel like people think I’m “stupid” or being paranoid. Before I had a ram 1500 truck 4x4 and a Durango with all wheel drive. I do photography so places like Rocky Mountain National park I know someone would eventually come along and see me if I had an issue. But in those vehicles I had not only a space tire, but entering I would need such as an emergency survival kit, etc. the model y is a whole different animal because someone can’t bring a gas can to you etc. On certain trips I plan to possibly use a different vehicle for some of these reasons, but would like to be able to use the model y in more situations, I just want to make sure I’m prepared for any worst case scenario. I like your advice and tips!

Reactions: beachztt
Thank you so much for your feedback and examples. I feel like people think I’m “stupid” or being paranoid. Before I had a ram 1500 truck 4x4 and a Durango with all wheel drive. I do photography so places like Rocky Mountain National park I know someone would eventually come along and see me if I had an issue. But in those vehicles I had not only a space tire, but entering I would need such as an emergency survival kit, etc. the model y is a whole different animal because someone can’t bring a gas can to you etc. On certain trips I plan to possibly use a different vehicle for some of these reasons, but would like to be able to use the model y in more situations, I just want to make sure I’m prepared for any worst case scenario. I like your advice and tips!
I completely get it! So many people only base their input on their own situation. Which is fine, but things change at 10k plus elevation and in the wilderness and until you get there, sometimes you can't appreciate the severity of being stranded.

We were just shooting the Elk at RMNP on Saturday, and it was our first venture "out of the nest". I am a brand new EV owner so I am learning as well. BTW, there is a Supercharger station at The Stanley in the back overflow parking lot.

If you get jammed up, shoot me a message... we have the Pro Power Generator built into the Raptor and I can at least get you off the mountain. :)

As for what people think... that tire may be like a parachute... you probably won't ever need it, but if you do and you don't have it, you may never need it again. ;)

I completely get it! So many people only base their input on their own situation. Which is fine, but things change at 10k plus elevation and in the wilderness and until you get there, sometimes you can't appreciate the severity of being stranded.

We were just shooting the Elk at RMNP on Saturday, and it was our first venture "out of the nest". I am a brand new EV owner so I am learning as well. BTW, there is a Supercharger station at The Stanley in the back overflow parking lot.

If you get jammed up, shoot me a message... we have the Pro Power Generator built into the Raptor and I can at least get you off the mountain. :)

As for what people think... that tire may be like a parachute... you probably won't ever need it, but if you do and you don't have it, you may never need it again. ;)
Thank you for the info! I’ve had the car only a month now so still learning a lot. We’re actually going to Estes tomorrow but taking a gas car lol for the reason of the EV charger and wanting to do some more research. I appreciate the info and feel like I have a new game plan for those situations!

Reactions: beachztt
Thank you for the info! I’ve had the car only a month now so still learning a lot. We’re actually going to Estes tomorrow but taking a gas car lol for the reason of the EV charger and wanting to do some more research. I appreciate the info and feel like I have a new game plan for those situations!
Hey, Estes was a perfect shake down run for us and we had two other adults with us. Left from Palmer Lake in the morning (90% charge) and picked them up in Castle Rock. Drove up to Estes the back way through Blackhawk and past St. Catherine's Chapel, Mt. Meeker. Stopped and had lunch at Wayfider and there is a Level 2 charger in the parking lot and you would need your adapter. We didn't charge there. Drove around the park the rest of the afternoon and went to The Stanley supercharger around dusk with 15%. Charged for 40 minutes to 83%.

Have fun and consider maybe making it a shake down. Life begins at the edge of your comfort zone! :)