Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Flew to Tennesse and drove 800 miles back with my new Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I placed an order for a MYLR 5 seat, blue/black, 19" tires, with tow package on 2/12. I'm in New York and was looking at a potential delivery as late as June.

I saw an identical build pop up on waitingfortesla.com that had just been built the day before and was on a truck en route to Tennessee. I called the store there and asked if I could just buy that one (the page clearly says it can only be registered in TN and bordering states, but I figured I'd ask anyway). The guy said he'd have to look into it, but in the meantime he'd go ahead and assign the VIN to my reservation so no one else could reserve it. He called me back the next day and said that'd be fine, I would just have to go to the DMV when I get home to handle the registration and sales tax on my own.

So I got a $200 flight down to Knoxville and got there Friday early afternoon. The car was perfect, no issues at all that I could find. After getting some obligatory local BBQ, I started the drive back and got home about 6pm the following evening (I stopped and got a hotel for the night).

The 800 miles went by great. Autopilot made it feel like I was practically a passenger.

I did learn not to expect to save any money if supercharging. I actually wound paying a few bucks more than I would have if I was simply putting gas into my ICE vehicle on the trip, and these superchargers were a bit less expensive than the ones local to me in NY.

So I placed an order for a MYLR 5 seat, blue/black, 19" tires, with tow package on 2/12. I'm in New York and was looking at a potential delivery as late as June.

I saw an identical build pop up on waitingfortesla.com that had just been built the day before and was on a truck en route to Tennessee. I called the store there and asked if I could just buy that one (the page clearly says it can only be registered in TN and bordering states, but I figured I'd ask anyway). The guy said he'd have to look into it, but in the meantime he'd go ahead and assign the VIN to my reservation so no one else could reserve it. He called me back the next day and said that'd be fine, I would just have to go to the DMV when I get home to handle the registration and sales tax on my own.

So I got a $200 flight down to Knoxville and got there Friday early afternoon. The car was perfect, no issues at all that I could find. After getting some obligatory local BBQ, I started the drive back and got home about 6pm the following evening (I stopped and got a hotel for the night).

The 800 miles went by great. Autopilot made it feel like I was practically a passenger.

I did learn not to expect to save any money if supercharging. I actually wound paying a few bucks more than I would have if I was simply putting gas into my ICE vehicle on the trip, and these superchargers were a bit less expensive than the ones local to me in NY.

That's a LONG trip and lots of hoops to jump thru to get a car.

There are many hotels (especially Marriott and Hilton brands) that has EV chargers (or Tesla Destination chargers) that you can use overnight and charge up your car for free. most of these places can be found on www.plugshare.com

Cheers!

beewang

Reactions: Mr_Joe and henderrj
That's a LONG trip and lots of hoops to jump thru to get a car.
Not at all. It took exactly three phone calls to the dealership. One to ask if it was possible, one for them to call me back and say yes, and another because of a random question I had.

Other than that I flew down Friday early afternoon and was back home Saturday around 6pm. And that's with stopping overnight.

And it'll require a trip to the DMV, but I have to do that anyway because my license is about to expire. Our local DMV is actually usually pretty empty and very fast.

That's not much effort at all to get a vehicle multiple months early and the peace of mind of locking in tax credits for certain.
Austin build? We are driving 4 hours, selling our car the night before... And picking up a Y, site unseen. Scared to death. So glad you shared this and it went smooth for you.

Yes, Austin build. Zero issues regarding panel gaps or anything like that. I've got about 900 miles on it so far and still zero issues.

Not at all. It took exactly three phone calls to the dealership. One to ask if it was possible, one for them to call me back and say yes, and another because of a random question I had.

Other than that I flew down Friday early afternoon and was back home Saturday around 6pm. And that's with stopping overnight.

And it'll require a trip to the DMV, but I have to do that anyway because my license is about to expire. Our local DMV is actually usually pretty empty and very fast.

That's not much effort at all to get a vehicle multiple months early and the peace of mind of locking in tax credits for certain.

Yes, Austin build. Zero issues regarding panel gaps or anything like that. I've got about 900 miles on it so far and still zero issues.
So glad it went so well!!!