Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla will not Sell you vehicle without proof of residence in state where car is located.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just spoke to Tesla customer service. I live in PA, I see very low inventory, and few deals on vehicles located in PA.
I asked if I could locate a vehicle (in Texas as an example) and modify my zip code to Houston, pay the $250 fee, and then fly to Texas to pick up, and pay for vehicle.

After a short discussion, he insisted yes, but I would have to pay full taxes in Texas. After more discussion, he placed me on brief hold, came back and said.. nope... our system will not allow you to pick up and pay for a vehicle in Texas, unless I can show a utility Bill, with Texas address, and prove that I reside in Texas.

He also said that after they collect the $250 ordering fee, the www site asks me to upload my State Drivers Liscense.
At that point the system would see that I reside in PA, and I would not be able to complete the reservation process, and pick up a better priced vehicle in Texas (or a discounted Demo).

In addition I would lose my $250 reservation fee, as that money is collected at stage 1 of the reservation process.

When I asked why, all I got was we don't have Auto Dealers, and are not and Auto Dealer, so we have to operate in this manner.

All I can say is Sheesh.

So it looks like as of today, I can only place an order with little no discount, and ignore sites like waiting for Tesla, and order from the very small available inventory in my state.

Feel free to collect me if what I shared is incorrect

I searched this WWW site for other threads about flying somewhere to get a better priced (more discounted) new Tesla, and did not find this information.

And yes, I have done this exact thing previously on other vehicles, with no issue. Fly to location of good deal, pay, and drive home.

Makes me cranky

No, you arent. Edit time is set by the site owners as very short by default, especially on a first post in a created thread. Volunteers (like myself and almost any other mod one might interact with here) are not able to change that setting, so it is what it is.

Reactions: cwerdna
I just spoke to Tesla customer service. I live in PA, I see very low inventory, and few deals on vehicles located in PA.
I asked if I could locate a vehicle (in Texas as an example) and modify my zip code to Houston, pay the $250 fee, and then fly to Texas to pick up, and pay for vehicle.

After a short discussion, he insisted yes, but I would have to pay full taxes in Texas. After more discussion, he placed me on brief hold, came back and said.. nope... our system will not allow you to pick up and pay for a vehicle in Texas, unless I can show a utility Bill, with Texas address, and prove that I reside in Texas.

He also said that after they collect the $250 ordering fee, the www site asks me to upload my State Drivers Liscense.
At that point the system would see that I reside in PA, and I would not be able to complete the reservation process, and pick up a better priced vehicle in Texas (or a discounted Demo).

In addition I would lose my $250 reservation fee, as that money is collected at stage 1 of the reservation process.

When I asked why, all I got was we don't have Auto Dealers, and are not and Auto Dealer, so we have to operate in this manner.

All I can say is Sheesh.

So it looks like as of today, I can only place an order with little no discount, and ignore sites like waiting for Tesla, and order from the very small available inventory in my state.

I searched this WWW site for other threads about flying somewhere to get a better priced (more discounted) new Tesla, and did not find this information.

And yes, I have done this exact thing previously on other vehicles, with no issue. Fly to location of good deal, pay, and drive home.

Makes me cranky
This isn’t a Tesla issue. It is a state of Texas issue.

I live in NH and have picked up vehicles in IL, NJ, and NY.

I am not allowed to pick up a vehicle in my neighboring state of MA because they also have a pay-sales-tax-at-point-of-purchase “law”.

I always wondered about this...
I've bought cars before from out of state by flying there n picking up myself
I was considering that with Tesla's used inventory but i don't want to pay shipping fee..
This sucks if this is true for every state.
Inventory always seems to be NOT in the state u want lol

Ok, So the Telsa rep misinformed me, perhaps I need to call back multiple times and use different states as an example and ask if it is even possible to purchase a discounted vehicle from a different state.

I have now had 2 different Tesla reps tell me that it is impossible to purchase a new Telsa except from the state I reside in.

The first one indicated that they "used" to allow this, but something changed and they no longer allow this.

The second one said I could "trick the system" by modifying my zip code BUT, step 2 upload drivers license would fail, and I would lose my $250 non refundable deposit. And I would need to have Texas State ID or proof of residence to complete a purchase in Texas.

I am not trying to spread fud, or argue with anyone here, just trying to understand if it is possible to purchase a discounted tesla model y from a state that has the inventory and features I want, and has it at a discounted price.

Perhaps it is as posted that I need to ask about a state that allows non-residents to purchase, and doesn't require immediate payment of sales tax.

If anyone can share a link, or confirm what the steps are to complete a purchase from out of state, I would appreciate the method, but of course I need to then confirm with Tesla that the planned purchase method will work and I won't just spin my wheels and waste my deposit $.

I will try to identify a state that is on the east coast and contact tesla again to test that state,

I see on waiting for Tesla that I can pick up from Maine, New Hampshire, New Jersey, or Vermont, but Tesla customer service needs to confirm if this is accurate, or if the rules have changed.

So far I am zero for 2 with feedback from Tesla employees.

I will keep investigating and share what I learn.

Why is PA Store not casting a wide net for the car you want and getting it to their nearest location? They have access to regional inventory and Tesla has made some changes which break the community inventory scavengers. Might pay to physically visit a store.

Thank you for the replies/suggestions, I will check with inventory in New Jersey next.
I plan to purchase new Y in early 2024, just trying to get my process of purchase sorted.

Good discounted cars don't hang around long on the www sites.

This whole going to another state for discount thing doesn't make sense to me.

The whole point of direct sales in theory is that the price is fixed like an iPhone and everyone pays the same price. If everyone starts doing whatever they can to acquire discounts, then we are right back to the dealership model, in which case the selling point of direct sales is moot and why not let's just go back to having dealerships?

I understand that Tesla has increased and lowered prices a lot of times over the past couple of years. Perhaps too many times, And this probably destroyed a good deal of trust amongst people. I get that, and that sucks.

But trying to hunt down a Tesla with discounts doesn't make much sense.

Reactions: zoomer0056
This whole going to another state for discount thing doesn't make sense to me.

The whole point of direct sales in theory is that the price is fixed like an iPhone and everyone pays the same price. If everyone starts doing whatever they can to acquire discounts, then we are right back to the dealership model, in which case the selling point of direct sales is moot and why not let's just go back to having dealerships?

I understand that Tesla has increased and lowered prices a lot of times over the past couple of years. Perhaps too many times, And this probably destroyed a good deal of trust amongst people. I get that, and that sucks.

But trying to hunt down a Tesla with discounts doesn't make much sense.
OP actually never mentioned if its new or used car..
Sure this might make sense for new cars (again only if tesla wouldn't do discounts on random cars...) but def not for used ones
Since ur locaion is seattle, have a look at used model S inventory, like 2 cars there wa...
So if i want a specific car i have to get one from out of state...
Cheapest S is actually in PA as of this moment lol
Sometimes its a forced hunt down.. unless Tesla offers to transfer cars to closer location like 'ship to store' that big names stores do (for free)

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865

All I can say is Sheesh.

Makes me cranky
How good a deal could you be getting that makes flying to TX and driving back to PA worth it? Especially when you can buy new with $7500 tax credit

I found this information from aa Aston-Martin dealer in Houston.
“Buying a car in another state involves paying the local Texas auto sales tax, the sales tax difference between Texas and your home state, and any processing fees charged by the DMV. Beyond that — and the price of the vehicle — you won’t have to worry about any additional fees and taxes. ”
Maybe that helps out

OP actually never mentioned if its new or used car..
Sure this might make sense for new cars (again only if tesla wouldn't do discounts on random cars...) but def not for used ones
Since ur locaion is seattle, have a look at used model S inventory, like 2 cars there wa...
So if i want a specific car i have to get one from out of state...
Cheapest S is actually in PA as of this moment lol
Sometimes its a forced hunt down.. unless Tesla offers to transfer cars to closer location like 'ship to store' that big names stores do (for free)
It does seem like when looking at the existing inventory on New cars, prices do vary a bit by location. Recently when looking at existing 2023 mY in Texas there were some in Austin $2k less than existing ones with same specs in Plano Tx.