Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla will not Sell you vehicle without proof of residence in state where car is located.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To add onto this, technically you are able to purchase cars in MA if you are from NH but you just can't take delivery of it in MA.

The work around most dealers in MA do for NH buyers is to have a dealer rep drive the car up to NH and do the paperwork (registering and etc at NH location like a Townhall). This prevents point of sale tax being paid to MA.

The issue and reason why Tesla doesn't do this is because they simply don't have the manpower. They don't have workers to drive the car from MA to NH and meet people at the Townhall to do all the necessary paperwork. It takes at least 1-1.5 hours of driving, 1 hour at least for paperwork if no line, and they need another driver/car to pick them up and go back to MA after.
Correct. They used to do home-deliveries to satisfy this requirement.

Not sure why the service isn’t offered anymore since customers were paying for the transport.

Correct. They used to do home-deliveries to satisfy this requirement.

Not sure why the service isn’t offered anymore since customers were paying for the transport.
That's what they did for me back in '16. I bought a CPO'ed S that was shipped from Dallas to Dedham for final prep, then brought up to me (~150mi) by a Dedham employee on a single car flatbed trailer hauled behind a white F250 with a Tesla logo and TESLA down each side.

Reactions: Chewy13
A few weeks ago, I found a list (Table) of states you are allowed to purchase in on the waiting for tesla site. For my state of PA it included at least 2 or 3 nearby states.
I think Tesla shares some of the blame here and that some of these rules may be Tesla policy, not just state restrictions, although sales tax and temp plate laws come into play as well.

I don't know why a buyer from PA can't pick up in NJ. NJ certainly is fine with out of state buyers. I can't see how a PA law could prevent it (restraint of interstate trade?). It may just be Tesla policy - maybe the NJ sites are just too busy handling deliveries to buyers in NJ, DE, NH, VT, ME (the states listed in your doc) to add buyers from additional states.

I can confirm the NH rules - when ordering my new Y, I was allowed to pick up in NJ, PA, or pay for home delivery in NH.

I know of plenty of examples of people from NH, CT, and RI buying non-Tesla cars from MA dealers. The dealer just delivers the car to a location in the buyer's state to avoid MA sales tax. No out of state buyer picks up a car at a MA dealer, since MA requires sales tax to be paid on all car purchases delivered in MA, regardless of ultimate state of registration. Also MA has no temporary plate.

I have purchased 2 cars from VT dealers as a NH resident. No VT tax was due. In one case they gave me a VT temp to drive home, in another I took the paperwork, registered it, and came back with permanent plates.

Reactions: Chewy13
I'm running into same issue - have personal residency in one state and business in another state and was going to title / register in one of those states. They won't let me proceed unless state matches on both personal and business or if I just choose to title under my personal or business. Has anyone run into that issue? We're trying to title where our vehicle will be which is where our personal address is, but still want to add business as co-owner due to the credits and deductions allowed for businesses.

This seems to be a really hit or miss kind of thing. I'm not sure how much is up to state laws and how much is up to Tesla internal policy, and I've seen plenty of speculating, but little in the way of facts one way or the other.

I can tell you, however, that I ordered my MY in my home state of New York back around February when wait times were long (I was looking at a June delivery) and whether or not it would continue to qualify for the tax credit was very much up in the air on a day to day basis. I found my exact build on waitingfortesla.com. It had just rolled off the plant in Austin and was on a truck headed to their Knoxville store.

I called the store and asked if I could buy that one, and they did some research and called me back saying yes, but I would have to come get it. So I got a cheap one way flight and drove it back. I did not pay any sales tax at the time of purchase. It came with a 60 day temporary Tennessee tag, and when I got it home I took it to the DMV to get it registered, get the real license plate, and pay the sales tax.

• Helpful
Reactions: brainhouston
I just spoke to Tesla customer service. I live in PA, I see very low inventory, and few deals on vehicles located in PA.
I asked if I could locate a vehicle (in Texas as an example) and modify my zip code to Houston, pay the $250 fee, and then fly to Texas to pick up, and pay for vehicle.

After a short discussion, he insisted yes, but I would have to pay full taxes in Texas. After more discussion, he placed me on brief hold, came back and said.. nope... our system will not allow you to pick up and pay for a vehicle in Texas, unless I can show a utility Bill, with Texas address, and prove that I reside in Texas.

He also said that after they collect the $250 ordering fee, the www site asks me to upload my State Drivers Liscense.
At that point the system would see that I reside in PA, and I would not be able to complete the reservation process, and pick up a better priced vehicle in Texas (or a discounted Demo).

In addition I would lose my $250 reservation fee, as that money is collected at stage 1 of the reservation process.

When I asked why, all I got was we don't have Auto Dealers, and are not and Auto Dealer, so we have to operate in this manner.

All I can say is Sheesh.

So it looks like as of today, I can only place an order with little no discount, and ignore sites like waiting for Tesla, and order from the very small available inventory in my state.

Feel free to collect me if what I shared is incorrect

I searched this WWW site for other threads about flying somewhere to get a better priced (more discounted) new Tesla, and did not find this information.

And yes, I have done this exact thing previously on other vehicles, with no issue. Fly to location of good deal, pay, and drive home.

Makes me cranky
Just verified that Tesla no longer allows ’cross-border’ transactions. The rep at Roswell GA said that Tesla was having too many registration issues and recently stopped allowing this. I’m in FL and have bought several ICE cars out of Atlanta so I know it isn’t a state taxation issue. Too bad, config I want isn’t available in FL but there are two sitting in Atlanta area. I need car now so I guess I’ll have to rent from Hertz again.

• Helpful
Reactions: brainhouston
Just verified that Tesla no longer allows ’cross-border’ transactions. The rep at Roswell GA said that Tesla was having too many registration issues and recently stopped allowing this. I’m in FL and have bought several ICE cars out of Atlanta so I know it isn’t a state taxation issue. Too bad, config I want isn’t available in FL but there are two sitting in Atlanta area. I need car now so I guess I’ll have to rent from Hertz again.
For FL residents, where there are plenty of Tesla stores, maybe. For NH, ME, VT, that is incorrect. Our only option (ignoring home delivery) is a "cross-border" transaction.

Edit: I put this thread post in a different place and it was merged into this thread because it was similar. I had not previously been able to find this thread but it does appear this thread answers my questions. Thanks.

Last edited:
I’ve purchased plenty of cars from MA and I’m in NH. The latest being a EQS SUV. The Mercedes dealer put the car on a flatbed and drove it up to my NH town hall to do the paperwork for registration. There’s no sales tax.
That's good to know. I'm guessing Tesla stores don't have the employees to do this for customers.

Regardless, what is the real deal? Why the problems and you'd think there would be a clear statement to indicate how to do this effectively and without issue. It seems we have so many different stories and experiences and no real guidelines. Are people in NH just paying the tax or are they getting someone to over the border for them? Did they move into the state with the Tesla already purchased?

How good a deal could you be getting that makes flying to TX and driving back to PA worth it? Especially when you can buy new with $7500 tax credit
I've seen used Teslas with FSD enabled priced more than ten thousand below the new price.

Year and Mileage lowered the value of the vehicle to begin with but I've literally seen FSD be only $1,000 more than EAP on a used Tesla. It doesn't always happen that way but when it does it's worth shipping across country or going to get it. At least to me, I value FSD at more than the difference you often see price differences from Tesla on used cars.

Reactions: Watts_Up
Are people in NH just paying the tax or are they getting someone to over the border for them? Did they move into the state with the Tesla already purchased?
Paying what tax? Mass sales tax? No, because Tesla will not sell a NH resident a car from a MA location, period. NH buyers have two options for taking delivery - deliver to home/office (probably not an option during the quarter/year end rush), or pick up in NJ/PA (and soon VT), states which don't charge sales tax to out of state buyers.

My Model S was delivered to my home by a Tesla employee (granted, this was in '16). In '23, I picked up the Y in NJ (drove down in the S to trade it).

From other forums and such, Im getting the response that other companies will sell vehicles but they drive vehicle to DMV to meet you to complete the transaction.

Why is Tesla different? Surely no one wants to pay sales tax that MA forces on dealerships. Does Tesla not want these sorts of accomodations to happen for thei customers?

From other forums and such, Im getting the response that other companies will sell vehicles but they drive vehicle to DMV to meet you to complete the transaction.

Why is Tesla different? Surely no one wants to pay sales tax that MA forces on dealerships. Does Tesla not want these sorts of accomodations to happen for thei customers?
The dealers you talk about would not be able to make that out of state sale if they didn't accommodate it, so they have an incentive to do so.

Tesla on the other hand gains nothing from dealing with out of state buyers (other than from nearby states where they are banned from direct sales), given it's all manufacturer owned anyways. In fact, it's the opposite, it takes up sales rep time from helping local buyers (which is the propose of the stores), the paperwork is more complex, there is high likelihood of getting it wrong and the liability that comes from that.

Reactions: SpiritAdriftM
The dealers you talk about would not be able to make that out of state sale if they didn't accommodate it, so they have an incentive to do so.

Tesla on the other hand gains nothing from dealing with out of state buyers (other than from nearby states where they are banned from direct sales), given it's all manufacturer owned anyways. In fact, it's the opposite, it takes up sales rep time from helping local buyers (which is the propose of the stores), the paperwork is more complex, there is high likelihood of getting it wrong and the liability that comes from that.
Thank you