Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Flexibility in collection day?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a MY on order, which I think might arrive soon in Southampton with my Tesla account saying the collection day (from Staines Collection Centre) will be somewhere in the range of 2-17 March. When Tesla confirm the date how much flexibility is there? I have a couple of weeks of overseas travel planned next month, and a family funeral to plan and attend on a date not yet confirmed. I might need to be reasonably flexible about the day I collect the car, so I’m hoping that Tesla doesn’t get too regimented about their collection procedure.

First time Tesla owner, so apologies if this is too obvious a newbie question.

Last edited:
Here's extract from the email I got.

At the Southampton Delivery Hub we have limited space and a big volume of cars, so the turn around is tight, which means we cannot have any cars sitting here for more than 5 days.

We have two options moving forward:

1. We un-match you and hopefully your re-matched quickly with different delivery dates.

2. You can get someone to pick the car up on your behalf.

What happened to customer service?.
I'd give Tesla 3 options
1 Allow me to collect at my convenience.
2 Park it on my drive at your expense.
3 Swivel on this..

When i bought my S in 2018 they dropped it round.. no way was I travelling 100 miles for a pickup. The car I bought prior to that, the dealership sent a gopher to collect me 'cos that was also a 100+ mile distance.

Reactions: Billbrown1982
The collection window Tesla "offer" is probably the biggest bug bear of mine in terms of their approach to customer service. On both occasions, picking up my Model 3 in 2019 and Model Y that replaced it in June last year, I was given a 1 day window to collect, if not I'd have been shunted to the next delivery quarter. I was fortunate in that I could juggle work commitments around to attend at the prescribed collection time. If not I actually think I may have told them to ram it and cancelled, just because. When spending >£50k on a car it's not really acceptable. Thankfully my driving and ownership experience with the actual cars has been very positive.

I have a MY on order, which I think might arrive soon in Southampton with my Tesla account saying the collection day (from Staines Collection Centre) will be somewhere in the range of 2-17 March. When Tesla confirm the date how much flexibility is there? I have a couple of weeks of overseas travel planned next month, and a family funeral to plan and attend on a date not yet confirmed. I might need to be reasonably flexible about the day I collect the car, so I’m hoping that Tesla doesn’t get too regimented about their collection procedure.

First time Tesla owner, so apologies if this is too obvious a newbie question.
You still can ask them to deliver to the address that is linked with Tesla account and someone else can sign at home. Tesla allows one change of delivery method and one change of date - I deferred for 10 days but this was during covid period.

I picked up my M3LR in the Glagow SC the day after my collection day as the trains were on strike in December 2022, After I picked up my "keys" i was directed to a sea of Tesla M3's and was rold it was on the left somewhere, took me 10 mins to find mine.