Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Flygskam (flight Shame)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

nwdiver

Feb 17, 2013
United States
Screen Shot 2019-06-21 at 10.59.28 PM.png

Love the dedication. Choosing a 2 day train over a 4 hour flight. Trains are better anyway :)

‘Flygskam’ is the Swedish travel trend that could shake the global airline industry

I remember reading a story a while back from one of the scientists working on climate change modeling. The context was there was a big conference somewhere and his point was that there were all these people flying into the conference, and contributing to the problem they were discussing. In an interview with him, he said something to the effect that until "it was not viewed as normal to travel by airplane for unnecessary reasons", there would be no real change in the general mindset of attitudes toward flying. This is the first sign of that I have seen.

Contrast this with a recent N.Y. Times piece by a travel reviewer. The guy was trying to maximize his frequent flyer miles. In order to do that, he took advantage of some cheap fares to take unnecessary flights just to get to the next rung in the program. He even had a website describing how to game the system. I'm thinking: How is it even remotely OK to be flying around just to get more free flights. I should have commented when I read the article.

I'll try and find a link to the stories...

RT

P.S. Just waiting till the coffee shop opens. :)

Last edited:
Here are couple...

https://www.sciencemag.org/careers/2019/05/why-some-climate-scientists-are-saying-no-flying

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappen...colleagues-for-flying-to-conference-1.4442890

But what I'm trying to push for is that our house is on fire right now. The planet is on fire, it's flooding, there's fires. The effects of climate change are really obvious. I think that we need a cultural shift. We have to wake up as a society that fossil fuels is causing real harm.

And one way that we can do that, for people to get how serious this is, to start modelling change in our own lives and shifting what we view as normal in the society.

This is amazing on so many levels...

Greta Thunberg to sail Atlantic for climate conferences

Can't think of a better way to cross the Atlantic :)

View attachment 435598

I beg to differ. Not only is flying much faster, transatlantic flights have become so much better since I started flying in 2005, and I once upgraded us to business class, which made the whole experience, a whole lot better, especially given the coincidence of a stupid 3 hour delay due to a refuelling mismatch between ground crew and plane.

It's such a shame about the environmental impacts.

But if you have the time to travel by ship, you can travel at relatively low cost on a freighter: eg
Maris Freighter Cruise and Travel Club -- Around the World Cargo Cruises

I beg to differ. Not only is flying much faster, transatlantic flights have become so much better since I started flying in 2005, and I once upgraded us to business class, which made the whole experience, a whole lot better, especially given the coincidence of a stupid 3 hour delay due to a refuelling mismatch between ground crew and plane.

It's such a shame about the environmental impacts.

But if you have the time to travel by ship, you can travel at relatively low cost on a freighter: eg

I'll never fly again unless Branson can get his biofuel scheme to produce sufficient volumes or some form of Power to gas from solar/wind. I'd be ok with taking passage on a cargo ship but IMO the sailing yacht would make for a better overall experience.

• Love
Reactions: Brando

It's such a shame about the environmental impacts. [My bold]

Kind of impossible to get around the environmental impact though, isn't it?

And this sailing yacht also beats the freighter alternative.

So it seems to me that she made the right choice.

Reactions: nwdiver