Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S might be…. Better?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi!

I’m 35, 6 foot 7, have been driving a bmw m3 competition for the last 5 years as my daily driver, loved it, but loved the tesla tech. And the space in the car… there’s nothing like it for my legs.

got good as one pedal driving on my test drive. I never knew I had “motion sickness” - I was always disoriented after flight for an hour or two, and after train rides for a bit. Dizzy and sick feeling. I feel it RIGHT away in the tesla.

I rented a model Y, I’m a week in and still feel sick. Was planning on keeping it for 2 more weeks because I’m hoping it “gets better”.

I love everything about this car but obviously this sensation is a red flag. Does it get better? Am I screwed ? Is this all EV’s ??

Or maybe it’s the suspension on the Y? Ugh. It’s hard to accept!

Looking for “it gets better” or “it doesn’t” thoughts. My fear is that for some people, EV’s just won’t work.

Ok I need to be talking to you! I get motion sickness (not puking, more like out of it, disoriented, dizzy) for a an hour or two after I’m on planes and trains - and teslas. Never cars. Are you similar?

I want the tesla more than I’ve wanted any car before. It’s so fun. So I’ll buy any model… I just want to make sure “this” isn’t going to be a long term issue …
Planes I can get nauseous if turbulence. Have not been on trains enough recently to see if that is an issue. Cars, if I am not driving, NO WAY. And I will not even watch amusement park rides. And just show me a picture of a boat and I will get sea sick. Got sick once on the Queen Mary and its cemented to the bottom of Long Beach harbor I think.

I swear mine is an inner ear issue possibly related to some other autoimmune issues I have. When I was a teenager I could do anything with no issues. It got progressively worse as I got older and my AI issues developed. But then again maybe this is all age related ...

Again the MX, while fuggily, is the best car I have had WRT this. My prior car was an Acura MDX which was not bad, but I could get sick in it too if I tried. With the MX, I only got sick once on a long winding road heading into darkening skies. Oddly, 8 hours before on the same road in full daylight, not an issue.

Upvote 0
My wife is quite sensitive. I can make her ill driving any car if I want or try. Just two things from my experience:

I think issue for many is not the acceleration, but the quite sudden, abrupt initial deceleration which can happen as to let off the accelerator. As others have commented, this is more a smoothness issue and largely relates to building the appropriate muscle memory for how you roll out of the accelerator.

The other issue which I don't believe others have mentioned is potentially some of the visual stimulus, especially if you have some of the side or rear camera views set to show on the screen while you are driving. I don't have the side cameras in my AP1 version MS90D, but it's guaranteed disaster if I drive with the back-up cam image displayed on the center console when my wife is in the car. This actually happened during my first test drive 7+ years ago, wife in back seat, owner-advisor running shotgun turned the rear camera on to be on the big screen as they demonstrated features to me as I drove. Fortunately I was able to spot my wife in rear view mirror, realize she was about to turn green, and I got the display shut off before the impending disaster hit. That's where I'll always caution people about driving with some of those rear facing camera displays (including side rear blind-spot cameras) unless you're really familiar with your passengers. Not sure if this might be part of OPs issue, but another consideration.

Upvote 0
Does s
My wife is quite sensitive. I can make her ill driving any car if I want or try. Just two things from my experience:

I think issue for many is not the acceleration, but the quite sudden, abrupt initial deceleration which can happen as to let off the accelerator. As others have commented, this is more a smoothness issue and largely relates to building the appropriate muscle memory for how you roll out of the accelerator.

The other issue which I don't believe others have mentioned is potentially some of the visual stimulus, especially if you have some of the side or rear camera views set to show on the screen while you are driving. I don't have the side cameras in my AP1 version MS90D, but it's guaranteed disaster if I drive with the back-up cam image displayed on the center console when my wife is in the car. This actually happened during my first test drive 7+ years ago, wife in back seat, owner-advisor running shotgun turned the rear camera on to be on the big screen as they demonstrated features to me as I drove. Fortunately I was able to spot my wife in rear view mirror, realize she was about to turn green, and I got the display shut off before the impending disaster hit. That's where I'll always caution people about driving with some of those rear facing camera displays (including side rear blind-spot cameras) unless you're really familiar with your passengers. Not sure if this might be part of OPs issue, but another consideration.
Does she have the same sensitivity when she drives it or only as a passenger? I ask because my issues tend to linger long after the drive has ended (couple hours after it seems)

Upvote 0
Planes I can get nauseous if turbulence. Have not been on trains enough recently to see if that is an issue. Cars, if I am not driving, NO WAY. And I will not even watch amusement park rides. And just show me a picture of a boat and I will get sea sick. Got sick once on the Queen Mary and its cemented to the bottom of Long Beach harbor I think.

I swear mine is an inner ear issue possibly related to some other autoimmune issues I have. When I was a teenager I could do anything with no issues. It got progressively worse as I got older and my AI issues developed. But then again maybe this is all age related ...

Again the MX, while fuggily, is the best car I have had WRT this. My prior car was an Acura MDX which was not bad, but I could get sick in it too if I tried. With the MX, I only got sick once on a long winding road heading into darkening skies. Oddly, 8 hours before on the same road in full daylight, not an issue.
Can I ask what AI type issues as I’ve been experiencing some myself recently ?

Also - does your motion sickness end once the ride concludes, or does it linger? I’m feeling dizzy right now as I type this and it’s been 20 min since I was in the car (just cruising around my neighborhood).

A part of me just wants to buy the car and say to myself that I’ll get used to it in 2 months but, I don’t know if that’s a dumb approach or not

Upvote 0
Can I ask what AI type issues as I’ve been experiencing some myself recently ?

Also - does your motion sickness end once the ride concludes, or does it linger? I’m feeling dizzy right now as I type this and it’s been 20 min since I was in the car (just cruising around my neighborhood).

A part of me just wants to buy the car and say to myself that I’ll get used to it in 2 months but, I don’t know if that’s a dumb approach or not
Seems you're doing a lot of educated guessing here to figure out a cause and solution. Have you considered consulting with a health care provider. Definitely don't want to put anyone in danger.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sometimes it is just a matter of control. I never get sick when I am driving, but it is always present when I am a passenger.

With a sports car, like a Porsche or Viper, you always feel directly connected to your car. It kind of instantly responds to your inputs. With an EV, you are more disconnected, as the torque comes on quickly, and with no warning. You have a harder time anticipating in your head, what is going to happen in the next mili-second. For me, back seat is even worse.

Reactions: manderson4040
Upvote 0
Looking for “it gets better” or “it doesn’t” thoughts. My fear is that for some people, EV’s just won’t work.

I suspect this will get better for you, but I'm also surprised that you're not driving smoothly after a week. Are you just "letting off" of the accelerator, or tapering slowly?

My wife is in her 30's and drives like an elderly woman... it's an incredibly easy ride for those that like that. I can drive that way too, but very much prefer to test my 0-60 speed at every stop.

Upvote 0
We purchased a Y for my wife (her first EV) back in December. She has never quite been able to figure out how to appropriately control regen braking. You need to treat it more like a dimmer switch vs. a pedal up/down type of thing.

That being said, after taking my daughter's friends for a longer trip in our new Y, and having 3 of them vomit all over the back seat due to motion sickness (sorry for the visual), she told me that if I couldn't do anything about the regen, she wanted the car gone (using much more colorful language :) ).

I ordered the S3XY buttons and can 100% confirm that they work as expected. We actually found that setting the regen to 0% (off) actually goes too much the other way as the car gains momentum when coasting (almost like being in neutral). We found that having it set for 25% is good and she is happy telling me that it finally drives like a "regular car".

Of course, she soon found out that dialing down the regen does have an effect on the range so she only turns it down when she has other passengers in the car. When she drives by herself to/from work, etc..., she leaves regen alone.

Upvote 0
Completely anecdotal, but I have found (including for myself) that people who know how to drive manual transmissions seem to take to regen far faster then those who don't. Because we are much more used to using 'engine braking' to modulate our speed and regen feels very similar. Whenever I give a test drive I actually tell people to that 'you are driving a 1-speed manual transmission'. If they are comfortable with stick, they immediately get it.

Upvote 0
I ordered the S3XY buttons and can 100% confirm that they work as expected. We actually found that setting the regen to 0% (off) actually goes too much the other way as the car gains momentum when coasting (almost like being in neutral). We found that having it set for 25% is good and she is happy telling me that it finally drives like a "regular car".
i can confirm this does make a huge difference. 50% setting is sufficient to make ride comfortable for my spouse. Still need to be cautious with acceleration given torque.

Upvote 0
Completely anecdotal, but I have found (including for myself) that people who know how to drive manual transmissions seem to take to regen far faster then those who don't. Because we are much more used to using 'engine braking' to modulate our speed and regen feels very similar. Whenever I give a test drive I actually tell people to that 'you are driving a 1-speed manual transmission'. If they are comfortable with stick, they immediately get it.
Yep. People that are used to driving manuals also have much better/finer throttle control as that’s need to get going in a manual without revving the crap out of the engine.

Upvote 0
I suspect this will get better for you, but I'm also surprised that you're not driving smoothly after a week. Are you just "letting off" of the accelerator, or tapering slowly?

My wife is in her 30's and drives like an elderly woman... it's an incredibly easy ride for those that like that. I can drive that way too, but very much prefer to test my 0-60 speed at every stop.
It’s bothersome and I have dizziness even after my 7 minute ride to work where I didn’t go above 30 mph …

Upvote 0
Sometimes it is just a matter of control. I never get sick when I am driving, but it is always present when I am a passenger.

With a sports car, like a Porsche or Viper, you always feel directly connected to your car. It kind of instantly responds to your inputs. With an EV, you are more disconnected, as the torque comes on quickly, and with no warning. You have a harder time anticipating in your head, what is going to happen in the next mili-second. For me, back seat is even worse.
This makes a lot of sense. Does it get “better over time” to the point where it won’t be an issue ?

Upvote 0
Hi!

I’m 35, 6 foot 7, have been driving a bmw m3 competition for the last 5 years as my daily driver, loved it, but loved the tesla tech. And the space in the car… there’s nothing like it for my legs.

got good as one pedal driving on my test drive. I never knew I had “motion sickness” - I was always disoriented after flight for an hour or two, and after train rides for a bit. Dizzy and sick feeling. I feel it RIGHT away in the tesla.

I rented a model Y, I’m a week in and still feel sick. Was planning on keeping it for 2 more weeks because I’m hoping it “gets better”.

I love everything about this car but obviously this sensation is a red flag. Does it get better? Am I screwed ? Is this all EV’s ??

Or maybe it’s the suspension on the Y? Ugh. It’s hard to accept!

Hmm, I’m no doctor but dizziness and sickness don’t feel right. I’ve never felt a thing while driving EV’s or any car or bike for that matter … you should see a doctor, i.e., driving an EV may have reviewed an unknown medical condition you didn’t know you had, just my 2 cents.

As far as the car, I owned BMW’s M3 and M4 in the past, as well as Tesla’s M3P and MYP and currently waiting on my MSP order; I’d say get the MSP.

Edit: You’re 6’7”?! holy crap! 😳 😃

Upvote 0