TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Foam inside tire to reduce noise

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by tarballqc, Nov 5, 2019.

1. tarballqc

tarballqc Member

Hello

Apparently, Tesla put some kind of foam inside their tires to reduce noise.

Is this foam removable? I mean, can we use this foam on winter tires?

2. Occar

Occar Member

Tesla didn't do it. The tire manufacturer did (and most of the big ones have tires with this). No, you can't swap it out. It's part of the tire and ripping it out would destroy it, plus you'd not have a real way to affix it to the new tire that would stand up to use, and then you'd have this loose weight flopping around in your tire.

• Like x 8
  3. tarballqc

tarballqc Member

Ok, thanks for the clarification !

4. BOBEDIGITL

BOBEDIGITL Member

I have the LR Rear wheel motor...those that have already replaced the tires with the same ones that came with the car, did those replacements also come with the foam?

5. woodisgood

woodisgood It's walnut, beech

There are two versions of the OEM tire, Michelin Primacy MXM4 for 18” for example. If you want the one with foam (I think it’s called “TO” or something like that), you have to make sure your tire place knows that. At Costco, the foam version is about $20 more/tire as of last week.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  6. Occar

Occar Member

Michelin's site doesn't seem to say, but you can look them up on TireRack by which ones you got and if they say Acoustic Tech in the size listing, the answer is yes. Assuming you got Michelin tires.

7. rosegrif1

rosegrif1 Member

I have M S 90D with Goodyear Eagle Touring 98W TO Tesla, SoundComfort Tech tires.

Tire Size: P245/45R19

Paid $283.15 + tax per tire

Work well and is certainly is quieter than others. Not a sports car tire - but for cruising it keep the the cabin quiet.

• Informative x 1
  8. Jimbydude

Jimbydude Member

Wife recently had to get new tires. Done some research on wether the foam made any different and based on they few (non scientific) studies by various you-tubers, seemed to suggest it didn't make any real difference.

We opted for the ones without and she reckons, one her daily commute, can't tell the difference. She likes her music LOUD, so she probably wouldn't notice !

I'm sure it'll come do personal preference.

• Helpful x 1
  9. woodisgood

woodisgood It's walnut, beech

The other point to consider other than the noise is flat repair. The foam ones can’t be repaired via traditional roadside methods. The fellow at Costco made a point to tell me they wouldn’t be able to offer repairs if I opted for the foam-filled.

• Informative x 1