Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Foam inside tire to reduce noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla didn't do it. The tire manufacturer did (and most of the big ones have tires with this). No, you can't swap it out. It's part of the tire and ripping it out would destroy it, plus you'd not have a real way to affix it to the new tire that would stand up to use, and then you'd have this loose weight flopping around in your tire.

Tesla didn't do it. The tire manufacturer did (and most of the big ones have tires with this). No, you can't swap it out. It's part of the tire and ripping it out would destroy it, plus you'd not have a real way to affix it to the new tire that would stand up to use, and then you'd have this loose weight flopping around in your tire.
Ok, thanks for the clarification !

I have the LR Rear wheel motor...those that have already replaced the tires with the same ones that came with the car, did those replacements also come with the foam?

There are two versions of the OEM tire, Michelin Primacy MXM4 for 18” for example. If you want the one with foam (I think it’s called “TO” or something like that), you have to make sure your tire place knows that. At Costco, the foam version is about $20 more/tire as of last week.

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo and JPUConn
Michelin's site doesn't seem to say, but you can look them up on TireRack by which ones you got and if they say Acoustic Tech in the size listing, the answer is yes. Assuming you got Michelin tires.

I have M S 90D with Goodyear Eagle Touring 98W TO Tesla, SoundComfort Tech tires.

Tire Size: P245/45R19

Paid $283.15 + tax per tire

Work well and is certainly is quieter than others. Not a sports car tire - but for cruising it keep the the cabin quiet.

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo
Wife recently had to get new tires. Done some research on wether the foam made any different and based on they few (non scientific) studies by various you-tubers, seemed to suggest it didn't make any real difference.

We opted for the ones without and she reckons, one her daily commute, can't tell the difference. She likes her music LOUD, so she probably wouldn't notice !

I'm sure it'll come do personal preference.

• Helpful
Reactions: Ulmo