Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For anyone curious, here is how much read/writes my Model Y put on my SSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Everyone's use will be different depending on how much they drive and how often sentry is on. I have sentry off at home and at work (garage parking in both cases). But other than that its always on while driving and parked anywhere else. You can kind of extrapolate from "on hours" between the two dates how much driving was done.

But in my case seems to be about 8TB per year. So for this drive being (5% of lifespan per year) lifespan should last ~15+ years 😅. Also, with that many writes no wonder USB sticks fail within a year! They arent meant for this kind of job lol. This SSD cost me only ~$11.

SSD_Tesla.png

Can you share the link you got that ssd from?
I got it on Craig's List. There is nothing special about it, in fact its a very budget SSD as its SATA. But the things a PC user would want (NVMe, SLC/MLC NAND etc...) we actually dont care for, we are just writing/reading to/from it at USB2.0 speeds, so SSDs we'd want are comperatively cheap to begin with. Being used makes it even cheaper. Needing 128GB or less if you can find on (by today's PC standards very little space) makes them even cheaper. And chances are they are being pulled from a PC, and even after years of use in a PC it will still be 95%+ life.

You still want a good controller that wont konk out on you in summer heat at 160F inside the car (keep in mind that even if you vent the car, the drive is in an enclosed space which probably wont cool down much even with venting, and drive itself is heating up the space as well. So for good controller you want it made by a reputable manufacturer, not some weird Chinese name you never heard of.

I also made sure my enclosure is aluminum to help decipate the heat.

As far as I know these specific Intel ones are from DELL workstations.

Reactions: gottipati.balu