Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Advice Needed: Trade 2019 M3 for 2023 MY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone, I'm completely stuck trying to decide about whether I should trade in my 2019 M3 for a new MY, or stick with what I have. Would love the thoughts of everyone, but particularly of those who have moved from an older M3/MY to a new one.

Reasons to trade in and "upgrade":
  • FSD transfer saves me $6,000. I would never buy $15k FSD now, but could not live without EAP. I guess it's really $5,000 as the FSD transfer lowers the trade value.
  • Tax benefits will save me nearly $11,000.
  • Total savings of ~$17,000 is huge. But...will such rebates and FSD transfers be there in a few years? Unknown.
  • Family of 5 and everyone hates sitting in the back seat of the M3...especially my wife.
  • Much more cargo space which I would like. But truth be told, it's not essential.
  • My M3 has been great to me, but it has almost 90k miles. Quit while I'm ahead, before something major fails?
  • HW4. But does this really mean much?
  • Who doesn't want a new car?
  • Worth a second bullet: A bigger car will be much more convenient a few times a year and particularly in the summer when we do more family trips. As of now, the M3 really can't take the family anywhere except a quick drive out to get dinner. (And then the complaining starts!)
Reasons to keep my 2019 M3:
  • USS in M3 can never be matched with Vision. I really like park assist! A lot. Not sure it's a dealbreaker, but I really love how accurate USS is. Vision is a joke.
  • My M3 works great. Elon says it could last 300,000 to 500,000 miles. Trading in is a waste of money if that's the case. (But is it true???)
  • Better drive. I like the way the M3 drives more than the MY.
  • Better looks. I don't really care...but...I love my M3. The MY just isn't as cool.
  • Worth a second bullet: keeping my M3 is a huge money saver IF I suffer no major issues as it gets older.
So...what would you do?

Hi everyone, I'm completely stuck trying to decide about whether I should trade in my 2019 M3 for a new MY, or stick with what I have. Would love the thoughts of everyone, but particularly of those who have moved from an older M3/MY to a new one.

• FSD transfer saves me $6,000. I would never buy $15k FSD now, but could not live without EAP. I guess it's really $5,000 as the FSD transfer lowers the trade value.
  • Total savings of ~$17,000 is huge. But...will such rebates and FSD transfers be there in a few years? Unknown.
  • Family of 5 and everyone hates sitting in the back seat of the M3...especially my wife.
  • Much more cargo space which I would like. But truth be told, it's not essential.
  • My M3 has been great to me, but it has almost 90k miles. Quit while I'm ahead, before something major fails?
  • Worth a second bullet: A bigger car will be much more convenient a few times a year and particularly in the summer when we do more family trips. As of now, the M3 really can't take the family anywhere except a quick drive out to get dinner. (And then the complaining starts!)
  • USS in M3 can never be matched with Vision. I really like park assist! A lot. Not sure it's a dealbreaker, but I really love how accurate USS is. Vision is a joke.
  • My M3 works great. Elon says it could last 300,000 to 500,000 miles. Trading in is a waste of money if that's the case. (But is it true???)
  • Better looks. I don't really care...but...I love my M3. The MY just isn't as cool.
  • Worth a second bullet: keeping my M3 is a huge money saver IF I suffer no major issues as it gets older.
So...what would you do?
It looks like you've already done your homework pretty good. Your list suggests get the MY. Do it.

I'm in exactly same situation. Long range model 3, switching to 2023 model Y. IMHO model Y is a WAY better car. It's a bit slower, BUT you get
  • much stronger suspension with more comfortable ride, especially on harsh road
  • better air filter
  • powered trunk
  • new faster infotainment computer AMD Ryzen vs Intel Atom
  • rear seat split 40/20/40 instead for 60/40 on top of much more storage
  • factory tinted rear windows and roof
  • double pane side windows front and rear with noise insulation
  • 12V outlet in the trunk
  • heated wipers area and spray nozzles (makes huge difference in Canada)
  • heated steering wheel
  • my model 3 is March 2019, so I have HW 2.5 not even HW 3
  • new 19" tires
  • 4 extra years of full warranty and 8 years on drivetrain

So...what would you do?
Trade
You can always go back
And the Cybertruck May confuse you again in a year or two
If you need the space, just do it

So...what would you do?
I'm going from a 2019 M3 LR to MY AWD LR.

The biggest thing that set this off was the FSD Transfer. After that I mirror everyone on this thread and for me:

- More room
- Gained Heated Steering wheel
- Gained AWD drive.
- Gained Powered Lift gate
- Gain new warranty
- Have only spent $100 on maintenance so far with tire rotations and air filters. Due for new tires and avoiding that now.
- HW4 which who doesn't want latest and greatest. It will make a difference some day.
- Gained better suspension

I know Highland and further on Juniper are coming (could be next week, could be 2 years from now) and I wouldn't want the first year of a new version.

In 2-5 years I could trade it in again and either keep going Tesla OR the competition is catching up and 2-5 years from now other brands will be tempting especially once there are more charging options. Besides Tesla, I like what Kia, Hyundai and Polestar are doing.

But life is too short, if you can afford it, do it.

If I get the tax credits, it's about $20,000.
i also am driving around 5 often and i got the 7 seater.. the middle comes down to make a poor man's captains chairs that keeps my kids separated which helps immensely with "he's touching me" complaints.. .my kids are still young though maybe yours arent as bad

although its tight the 7 seat is also good for shuffling kids friends around town, etc

• Funny
Reactions: AJ.. and zoomer0056
I just made this switch. Before this move I put together all pluses and munuses and that makes sense. In my situation I eligible for $7,500 federal rebate, but not for $2,000 California rebate. I was able to sell my 2019 Standard Plus to CarMax for 23,000. So,
45,000 ( out of pocket, including all taxes for new Tesla Rwd) - 7,500 rebate - 23,000 = $14,500 for update. For this money I got:
Minor gains:
New car vs 4 year 7 months old
4 year base guarantee ( expired on old car)
8 year vs 3.4 battery/motor guarantee
0 miles vs 46,200 miles
New tires(old ones already required replacement), no after-accident repair(minor one), no bumper scratches, no rims minor damages (existed on old car)
Brand new battery ( original lost ~8%)

Lost features:

Ultra sonic sensors on bumpers + radar (additional safety)+ lithium nickel battery ( 5.3 sec vs 5.8 +300 lb lighter) +chrome exterior trim (liked more) +

passenger seat lambar support (not important)

Added features:

1. Double pane side windows (more sound prove)

3. Lithium 12 volt battery (longer life)

4. Heat pump (better battery consumption)

5. Rear seat + wheel heating

6. 272 miles range ( instead 240)

7. Lithium Phosphate battery (100% charging )

8. Auto steer and adaptive cruise control

9. New hardware, processor (full driving capability hardware support) + "3 month free full driving" option enabled

10. Chrome removed ( cool for many people)

11. Power lift trunk

12. Sound when backup ( additional safety)

13. Wireless phone charger

14. CCS Adapter support ( not Tesla fast charging)

15. Nicer interior (Wood extension to doors, matte central panel)

16. USB C(fast charging ) + memory steak

Hope, it helps

I think I'm realizing the big issue is worrying that I'll decide to keep the M3 (saving some money,) and then the tax credits will go away, the FSD transfer ability will go away, and my M3 will, right at that time, require major service, and I'll just be kicking myself!
So this fear is exactly what happened! I had to replace my suspension. Then a few days ago I got a scary message about power reduced, showing a turtle icon. It turned out to be a false alarm. I guess there’s some kind of a firmware issue. But it sufficiently scared me to trade in my model 3 as soon as the full self driving thing was announced this weekend.

Timing couldn’t have been better. I was really starting to worry. Now I’ll have a new Y with FSD, $4k inventory discount, $3.5k Massachusetts EV incentive, and hopefully federal $7.5k tax credit. Overall well worth it and peace of mind with a new warranty.

Ironically, I’m going to hit 100,000 miles on the M3 in about 20 minutes as I drive home tonight. It will probably go down in history as my favorite car of all time. I’m psyched about the the new MY, but man, did I love that M3–my first high tech, self-driving EV!

So...what would you do?
I just did the same thing less than a month ago, here's my story: Traded in my 2021 M3 Standard + for a 2024 MYLR. I had a lot of the same feelings as you. The dealbreakers for me were the instant 11K (state and federal) off the top of the price. MAKE sure you look at inventory, I saved another $5K from Tesla (!) off the list price by purchasing an inventory car of my choosing. The better ride of the new Y's with the new suspension. I test drove it when I bought my M3, didn't like the ride. This one is MUCH better. The HW 4 is quicker, more responsive and the resolution on the cameras is WAY better than HW3. I don't miss the radar so much; the only difference is the "cloudy" outlines with heat maps instead of distance in inches on the older one. After using it for a few weeks I do like it more actually. I am getting older, so the upright, easy in and out of the MY is much better than the feeling of being in a "go-cart". I went from white M3 to a Stealth Gray MY and to me this new one just looks very cool in that color!! My decision was so easy due to the above and that I was gaining dual motor, more range, better sound system, a trailer hitch and more cargo and rear seat room (I got the same complaints from any rear seat passengers!) Also, I shopped my 2021 M3 to several methods of 3rd party sales and still got the best price from Tesla. One final tip: I took the 10K referral credits (for being a repeat customer) and got the $2K Acceleration Boost for FREE! This brings the MYLR down to 4.2 for 0-60, same as the M3LR.

Negatives: Not much other than the depreciation in three years, but I wanted a LR then and the wait was too long at the time, so I have always felt I needed to upgrade, and the timing seemed right. Waiting would likely decrease my trade in. I thought about getting the M3 Highland but the price would have been $10K more and it is the first year of a refresh. When I looked at the MY a few years ago it was almost $70K, I just got it for about half that!

Good luck and Happy Motoring!