Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For AWD owners wanting a P3D-

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update: In a prior post, I reported I set up a service request, via the app, for a software update. In the text of that request, I asked for the "P" flash. After three days, I just received the long-awaited reply that came in via text msg. Here it is...

"Hi, this is John with Tesla Service. My apologies but it isn't possible to upgrade the Long Range Model 3 to a Performance Model 3. The vehicle would have had to have been built as a Performance vehicle. May I cancel your appointment?"

Of course, I replied pointing "John" to the TMC reports, otherwise. Will update, if I receive an update.

Reactions: TJ73
Update: In a prior post, I reported I set up a service request, via the app, for a software update. In the text of that request, I asked for the "P" flash. After three days, I just received the long-awaited reply that came in via text msg. Here it is...

"Hi, this is John with Tesla Service. My apologies but it isn't possible to upgrade the Long Range Model 3 to a Performance Model 3. The vehicle would have had to have been built as a Performance vehicle. May I cancel your appointment?"

Wait, did you buy a P3D- recently and request to have it flashed and they denied it? Or did you mindlessly waste a service personnel's time when he could have been helping someone who really needed it?

Wait, did you buy a P3D- recently and request to have it flashed and they denied it? Or did you mindlessly waste a service personnel's time when he could have been helping someone who really needed it?

The latter. I purchased a LR AWD that was delivered three weeks ago, and was trying to back door a "Flash" - "For fee, or for free"! Sorry for not being more clear!

• Disagree
Reactions: voip-ninja
It seems totally possible that Telsa could test the parts and find that 5% can't handle P-level power. Instead of tossing them out, they just put a small sticker on the parts that fail the test and use them in the factory in non-P cars. As long as the % is small enough that they have no problem using up the non-p-worthy parts at the factory, there is no need to stock service centers with 2 versions.

If that were the case (and I don’t really think it is ...) - wouldn’t they be on the SR version?

I wouldn’t think they would want to use motors that fail testing in that regard, as I would assume that means some internal component is marginal or failed. Nothing would be worse for Tesla than to have an unreliable drivetrain. That’s the bread & butter.

We can gloss over many body challenges for a solid drivetrain.

The latter. I purchased a LR AWD that was delivered three weeks ago, and was trying to back door a "Flash" - "For fee, or for free"! Sorry for not being more clear!

Sorry you fell for Tesla's sales trick with the tax credit (Buy now before it gets cut). They played the same trick on 2018 buyers as well. In the end, that isn't an excuse to waste the time of service personnel, especially since people wait weeks to get their cars serviced.

Sorry you fell for Tesla's sales trick with the tax credit (Buy now before it gets cut). They played the same trick on 2018 buyers as well. In the end, that isn't an excuse to waste the time of service personnel, especially since people wait weeks to get their cars serviced.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Thanks for sharing yours. Have a great evening! :)

Same. Sounds silly but $2K is an instant buy for me, but $3K would make me think about it.

Same reason I bought during the FSD sale even though (as an EAP owner) it got me nothing new.

I assume that if it truly is a software unlock Tesla just needs to make sure the impact on warranty claims will not make it a net loss for them. If it doesn't it is just free money.

I definitely would have

I'd buy it the second it came out for 2k

Reactions: Scott7
Again, just shaming you for doing something really petty.

You shared your view, now move on... I'm certain not everyone following this thread agrees with your view. This will be my last reply to you as you are wasting everyone's time here with the repeated back and forth non-substance related posts. I shared my experience and you shared your opinion of it, fine. But like a little elementary school yard bully, you persist like a bad habit.

Hmmm, here is the response from customer support when I asked whether or not it was available to purchase a performance software update to my LR AWD.

Hello,

Thank you for contacting us with your question about changing updating your vehicle to be a Performance Model 3. Currently this is not a available upgrade. I recommend subscribing to our newsletter so that if this option does become available you will not miss the announcement.

Sincerely,

Tom B. | Tesla Support
12832 Frontrunner Blvd. Draper, UT 84020
www.tesla.com/support
Lof3wv8NVNHSErG9wSQeSkb83BJmTe5gLQF7krXQR82bkKkjoMol_CpWqAeW8QFUfKO60GL5ka3G96jAgUFF5lcIPKp6SPIR9a7XzMVlmZVH4GVqAm6C04OjCCUTNTSuGC_6ZpJBU7zaSpQ63Vj7M7SUlqnwpQ=s0-d-e1-ft

You shared your view, now move on... I'm certain not everyone following this thread agrees with your view. This will be my last reply to you as you are wasting everyone's time here with the repeated back and forth non-substance related posts. I shared my experience and you shared your opinion of it, fine. But like a little elementary school yard bully, you persist like a bad habit.
So it's not ok to waste your time but it's fine to waste the time of Tesla service personnel? Of course that was a rhetorical question. The answer is that Tesla service personnel did not deserve to be subject to your antics and I am just calling you out on your bad behavior.

So it's not ok to waste your time but it's fine to waste the time of Tesla service personnel? Of course that was a rhetorical question. The answer is that Tesla service personnel did not deserve to be subject to your antics and I am just calling you out on your bad behavior.

i am happy he reached out and got an answer. A LOT of us are waiting on that answer, albeit we are still hoping for an upgrade regardless of what the service center rep said.

maybe think of it this way...had he not reached out, "wasted" the time of tesla, and posted answers here, then maybe many more people may have done the same.. at the very least he prevented more "time wasting". to think of all the seconds that poor tesla rep wasted. the horror...

can we move on now?

thanks @jebinc fingers crossed we all still have a change anyway

i am happy he reached out and got an answer. A LOT of us are waiting on that answer, albeit we are still hoping for an upgrade regardless of what the service center rep said.

maybe think of it this way...had he not reached out, "wasted" the time of tesla, and posted answers here, then maybe many more people may have done the same.. at the very least he prevented more "time wasting". to think of all the seconds that poor tesla rep wasted. the horror...

can we move on now?

thanks @jebinc fingers crossed we all still have a change anyway

Thanks and happy to share what I’ve found out! :)

@minsup23 - It sure has. Some people can’t catch a clue if their life depended on it.

Reactions: minsup23