Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For Sale Model X 22" Black Turbine Wheel and Pirelli Scorpion Tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a set of four 22" Black Turbine wheels, including performance tires and installation for sale. I won these through the referral program. They will be delivered to Los Angeles area Tesla Service Center. You can either pick them up, or have them installed at pick up location. Will consider shipping, but prefer to have you pick them up. I do have a shipper I have used in the past that I can get a quote from if you want them shipped. Will consider all reasonable offers. This is the Model X 22" Turbine Wheel and Pirelli Scorpion Tire Package that Tesla sells for $6800 USD. You can contact me at [email protected].

turbine wheels.jpg

A silly question, but if you win a set do you have to report 6800 on your taxes?

it is considered a gift....

It's not a "gift", it's treated as any award or prize and is taxable as ordinary income. Tesla may or may not send you a 1099, but it's still up to you to claim the awards as income.

Optionally, you can report whatever you determine as "fair market value" of the prize, but you need to back it up with something.

I am not an attorney or tax account, YMMV.

Just curious....how many referrals did you need to have won these? Thanks.

I'm not sure, because i've been referring people for a while, over 30 referral so far, and because the prizes are delivered in such a random way, I've lost track of which prize is coming for which contest dates, but probably somewhere between 5 and 10 referrals.

I love how you guys see "won tires" and you're first question is "what are the tax implications?" . . . that's priceless (in a good way)

Why? If Tesla does send out 1099s and values these wheels+tires at $6800, and you're in the 25% tax bracket, you could be paying $1,700 in taxes. That's a chunk of change, for sure. Even if your effective tax rate is 20%, that's about $1,400 in additional taxes.

And say you sell the set for $5000 (about the going rate), that means you only profit about $3,500 after tax. And then technically you're supposed to report the funds from the sale as income also! (but you might be able to deduct the value of the rims, but I'm not a tax accountant).

Reactions: JPUConn
"And say you sell the set for $5000 (about the going rate)"
Going rate is about $3500 for a set like this. I bought a set a month ago for $3500 brand new, and never mounted. Perfect condition. I was watching four ebay auctions and all about the same price. My avatar shows the wheels and tires the day I installed them.
there's a tesla facebook market that's listing a set for $2000 right now...