Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

For those of you with a ceramic coating...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i was just quoted 1400 for ceramic coating done over the whole car, inside and out, knowing there are many simple dyi products i am planning on doing it myself.
that being said their big sell was they even put a coating on the seats as mine are white. i have never heard of putting his on seats, new to me and i am not trying it. seems like a bit of bs....

What are the pros and cons of getting a ceramic coat? I'm undecided. I received a quote for $2k.

How does it handle rocks chips? Do you have to re-apply it every once in a while? how does it handle scratches? If get in a fender bender, will insurance cover the cost of re-application?

Waiting for my M3, but have made arrangements to get ceramic pro 2 year coating when it arrives in a couple of weeks. The more layers they apply, the longer the warranty and the higher the cost. I am lucky I can get the family and friends discount, at a local shop. They will also put PPF on the rocker panels behind the wheels, as wear there is a known Tesla issue. To get these small PPF areas done was very reasonable.

i was just quoted 1400 for ceramic coating done over the whole car, inside and out, knowing there are many simple dyi products i am planning on doing it myself.
that being said their big sell was they even put a coating on the seats as mine are white. i have never heard of putting his on seats, new to me and i am not trying it. seems like a bit of bs....

DO NOT apply a coating to the white seats. Per Elon they’re the easiest to clean because they already come factory coated. See various YouTube videos - coffee, ketchup, etc wipes clean with a baby wipe or wet paper towel.

What are the pros and cons of getting a ceramic coat? I'm undecided. I received a quote for $2k.

How does it handle rocks chips? Do you have to re-apply it every once in a while? how does it handle scratches? If get in a fender bender, will insurance cover the cost of re-application?
Will depend some on geography but expect $600-$800. Ask your local club for recommendations. It’s like a super wax. Protects against acidic substances and makes cleaning easier. Here in Texas waxes don’t last long and ceramic lasts quite a bit better. But it basically does everything a high quality wax does, paint should be corrected prior to application for the best results and that’s the difference between a cheap DIY kit and a pro doing it, IMO.

Yes. I should have noted. I did CarPro myself but I also fully detailed and corrected paint issues myself before hand. If you don’t know how or have the stuff to do it. You may want to look into a pro. Took me about 10 hours and probably 3-400$ worth of stuff. A lot of the stuff is useable still though. Not a one time item. Pressure washer, sprays, polisher etc

• Helpful
Reactions: Dana1
I used HydroSilex Recharge Ceramic coating when I got my m3 in September. Its a DIY ceramic coating. Super easy to apply. Spray on, wipe off.
I applied it twice a couple of weeks apart. It lasted pretty for most of the winter. It feels as slick as any other ceramic coating I have felt. I put on another coat a couple of months ago. I'm very happy with the results. It doesn't last as long as a pro job, but feels great.
It's easy, simple, and inexpensive. About $28 for a bottle that was good for 3-4 coats.

Reactions: lax1mxb
Cquartz is great. Modessa is better. My MSM 3 sparkles in the sun when it's dirty as sin. Which is a phenomenon I've never experienced before.

Had cquartz on my p85 and it was excellent, easy to wash and always came crystal clean. But Modessa is better all around.

Good luck! The shop I worked with did PPF and then ceramic coating, not the other way around.

Reactions: Bill Foster
First you should understand that ceramic is a thin coating and it will do absolutely nothing for rock chips. You need to apply material like Paint Protective Film aka clear bra or vinyl wrap to protect against rock chips...

Ceramic purpose is to make the car easier to clean because dirt can't stick. It makes it less likely that you will scratch your car when washing because the dirt will just float off vs you rubbing dirt into the paint when washing and scratching it. However due to how microscopically thin ceramic is, its still possible to scratch the paint.

If your main concern is scratches and rock chips then id suggest Paint Protective Film material over Ceramic! It will add thickness to protect your paint from damage. If you can afford it, add ceramic on top over the clear bra making the clear bra material easier to clean ...

A big thank you to people in the community who educate fellow owners from their experience! While we apply CQuartz and PPF as the significant portion of our business, I can't tell you how many times a day I get calls from people who want ceramic coating for rock chip protection because some shop over promised on what coatings are capable of. PPF has its strengths and weaknesses, as does coating.

-Kevin

Reactions: Tech_Guy
DO NOT apply a coating to the white seats. Per Elon they’re the easiest to clean because they already come factory coated. See various YouTube videos - coffee, ketchup, etc wipes clean with a baby wipe or wet paper towel.
Yea that's what we hear, but unless you want to be cleaning dye transfer out of your seats every couple weeks a coating really works better. Mine have been much easier to maintain since coating them. I would highly recommend it.

I still haven't done my exterior, interior took priority.

Yea that's what we hear, but unless you want to be cleaning dye transfer out of your seats every couple weeks a coating really works better. Mine have been much easier to maintain since coating them. I would highly recommend it.

I still haven't done my exterior, interior took priority.

Fair point. Obviously any coating will help protect the seats more. At some point you must reach diminishing returns...

I used HydroSilex Recharge Ceramic coating when I got my m3 in September. Its a DIY ceramic coating. Super easy to apply. Spray on, wipe off.
I applied it twice a couple of weeks apart. It lasted pretty for most of the winter. It feels as slick as any other ceramic coating I have felt. I put on another coat a couple of months ago. I'm very happy with the results. It doesn't last as long as a pro job, but feels great.
It's easy, simple, and inexpensive. About $28 for a bottle that was good for 3-4 coats.
Hi
I’ve just put the second coat of HydroSilex on and one more to go have to say I’m pleased with the results so far
Just one question What do you wash your car with now it has a ceramic coating on
I’ve got some Maguires wash and wax (yellow Liquid not Cheap) is this ok to use on a ceramic coat
Cheers
Keith SA

I heard really good things about this product. Thinking of using this and doing it myself right when I get my car delivered.

I gave my wife’s filthy minivan a wash this weekend and after the foam, and 2 bucket wash I sprayed carpro hydro2 over the whole car. My god that stuff is good. Made the whole car hydrophobic. You can spray it on the wet car and just powerwash it off 20 seconds later. Her car felt as slick as mine. I couldn’t believe it. I’ll see how long it lasts.

Ceramic Coating questions for the detailers in here:

I want to DIY the ceramic coating on my car, since there is no paint correction that needs to be done because it's vinyl wrapped.

I've learned of Ceramic Pro, CQuartz, and FuseVinylpro that offer products specifically designed for wraps. I'm inclined to go with one of the latter two since one doesn't have to technically be an "installer" or "dealer" to be able to purchase these, which is the case for CeramicPro.

I currently wash my car with a waterless wash and wax by Aero Cosmetics. So my questions are:

1) Can I safely apply any of the three even though I might have some residual wax leftover from washing it with the Aero Cosmetics. I've read that the surface must be free of wax before applying ceramic coating.

2) If not, then what do I need to wash it with to "strip" the wax off in order to allow me to safely apply the ceramic coating? I've thought about using dish soap, but i'm afraid it may be harmful to the vinyl wrap.

3) What do you recommend from any of the three I listed above?

4) Do you have any other recommendations for ceramic coat for vinyl wrap?