Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ford to Build Model S Competitor?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
10 years studying Aluminum. If it takes them 10 years to study a brick of metal. I sure don't call that much technical ability. At that rate let me know when they get going good on the battery front. 15years?

I get that you are a Tesla enthusiast, but let's be fair. Ford had a project to reduce weight of their top-selling F150 pickup by changing over to an aluminum frame and body without affecting production volume of an existing successful product line. Not easy to do.

They had to select aluminum alloys likely to meet specifications, then lab test for corrosion, rigidity, resistance to metal fatigue from flexing, etc. Then they had to run the best candidates through prototype testing, including weathering and road/off road testing, before selecting the winning formula. After that, they had to develop tooling that could meet quality and volume demands as well as suitable welding processes that could keep up with huge manufacturing volumes. By all accounts they did a good job of it and I'll bet that the F-100 hood doesn't crease the first time someone slams it shut.

The germans migh have a better chance though. MB already have working prototypes and cars and can start mass production and drop prices as soon as they have a good battery supply deal.

Mercedes,especially, since they already have a perfect match for the Tesla steering column assembly. :)

- - - Updated - - -

The frame is steel.

Oops, my error. I must have conflated some early speculation articles with the final product. :crying: