Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Forgot To Put My Wheel Covers On For A Six Hour Trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Been leaving my wheel covers off because the Gemini wheels look better on my MYLR. Usually I put the covers back on when I make a six hour drive to the beach but forgot last week until I was already on the road. To the best of my calculations, there seemed to be no difference in range. The weather may have played role in my calculations but charging one time each way as normal rendered the about the same amount of battery upon reaching my destination. Based on this I probably will leave the wheel covers off. My car was delivered in early Feb. so I continue to experience some range anxiety but after three trips to the beach I'm beginning to feel more comfortable.

If you want to try something a bit more rigorous, on the next two trips, make one with the covers on and one with the covers off. Each time, be sure to start a trip meter. When you get home, you can check the trip meter and see your efficiency in Wh/mi.

Sure….it looks good on paper….wonder why you aren’t running 1950’s smoothie caps….🤔if hub cap efficiency is that imperative? 🤔 I mean smooth is efficient, right? So how much range does it cut down adding the rotating weight of the caps? I mean realistically you can’t add weight and gain range, right? Unless you are only going down hill…😜

Here is what about 10% additional range?

Attachments

• IMG_3075.jpeg
    IMG_3075.jpeg
    95.1 KB · Views: 151
I feel confident that there must be some difference in range with the wheel covers or Tesla would not have included them. My trip was not a scientifically valid test at all but for my "real world" experience there seemed to be little difference. I glanced at the watt hours but didn't record them so all I can base my experience on is the approximate amount of battery left upon reaching my destination. I started off with a 100% charge and charged to 85% at the stop about half way. Only about 20% of the trip is Interstate driving as the drive on the back roads takes the same amount of time and is much less boring. I'm sure individual results will vary.

Sure….it looks good on paper….wonder why you aren’t running 1950’s smoothie caps….🤔if hub cap efficiency is that imperative? 🤔 I mean smooth is efficient, right? So how much range does it cut down adding the rotating weight of the caps? I mean realistically you can’t add weight and gain range, right? Unless you are only going down hill…😜
Ha Ha! I've been trying to plot a trip that is downhill both ways!🤣🤣

Reactions: carcrazyguy
It’s all about the wind drag. Remember, the top of the tire is moving at 2x the speed of the car, and drag goes up 4x. A small area with high drag can make a measurable difference on a relatively clean aerodynamic car. That offsets the energy needed to accelerate the extra weight. Of course, we could easily improve efficiency by just slowing down, but I didn’t buy this car to let traffic pass me by!

So I measured this with the various wheels and yesterday finilazed with the 275/305's

Consumption with 19 Gemini (covers on) 90km/h 143 wh/km and 120 km/h 191 wh/km
Consumption with 19 Gemini (covers off) 90km/h 146 wh/km and 120 km/h 196 wh/km
Consumption with 21 uberturbines 255/275 90km/h 144 wh/km and 120 km/h 203 wh/km
Consumption with 21 uberturbines 275/3055 90km/h 147 wh/km and 120 km/h 205 wh/km
The 19th of April I already tested the consumption as good as I could do. There was no wind at that time and temp about 15-16 Celsius