Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Formula E Announces Driverless Racing Series

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Excellent article - very well expressed and thoughtful

http://plus.autosport.com/premium/f...orsport/?_ga=1.117128964.343399170.1445667306

- - - Updated - - -

What I think will be interesting is that although it is easy-ish to get a driverless car to go around a track quickly - many companies have demonstrated this - it will be fascinating to see how passing/overtaking/out-braking and strategy can be integrated into the software (I am not an electronics bloke so it may be easy...!)

I am presuming that the cars are not 'driven' from the pits or a console but fully programmed to race on their own - no outside driver assistance!

Excellent article - very well expressed and thoughtful
http://plus.autosport.com/premium/f...orsport/?_ga=1.117128964.343399170.1445667306
What I think will be interesting is that although it is easy-ish to get a driverless car to go around a track quickly - many companies have demonstrated this - it will be fascinating to see how passing/overtaking/out-braking and strategy can be integrated into the software (I am not an electronics bloke so it may be easy...!)
I think it is going to be extremely difficult to create a driverless race car that emulates what a skilled human can do, but I am also confident that it can be done.
It appears that the article you linked to requires a subscription to access.

That should be about as interesting as watching somebody else play a video game.

- - - Updated - - -

Correction: That should be about as interesting as watching a video game where both players are the computer.

No way... this will be absolutely fascinating. Unlike a video game this takes place in the real world.

One major sell of this even will be that an enormous crash will only result in twisted metal, not loss of life or injury. And so I expect that the teams will push the cars very hard.

That should be about as interesting as watching somebody else play a video game.

- - - Updated - - -

Correction: That should be about as interesting as watching a video game where both players are the computer.

Yes, but I like it, because eventually that tech will get to me in my vehicle I ride in, or in the vehicles others are in, so they get out of my way, or keep the flow up.