TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Foto of towing package with detached hook

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Thorsten, Mar 5, 2016.

1. Thorsten

Thorsten Member

I configured my EU Model X last week. Now I'm not sure if I should choose the towing package.

Could someone please post a foto how the car looks like when the towing hook is not attached? I would expect that you don't see that much of the towing pacakge then.

2. araxara

araxara S-P85#3,218 X-90D#3,299

There are some pictures floating around in this forum somewhere, but you don’t see anything if the hitch is not installed - it’s covered by a dust cover. Here is a clip from the owner’s manual: Dust Cover - Hitch.jpg

[Here is a link to the NA Owner’s Manual so you can look up things: https://www.teslamotors.com/sites/default/files/Model_X_Owners_Manual_Touchscreen_7.1_DAS_AP_North_America_R20160119.pdf]

3. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

With the receiver removed there is nothing to see. The cover illustrated above covers the hole in the diffuser and you wouldn't even know it's capable of towing anything.

4. Ulmo

Ulmo Active Member

5. Thorsten

Thorsten Member

Thank you for the photos. Then I'll keep the towing package in my Model X FBR configuration although I think that probably I'll never use it.

6. Roamer

Roamer Member

#6 Roamer, Mar 8, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
    image.jpeg Light plug receptacle and safety chain attachment loops are located under that cover plate also.

The tow receiver is pretty handy. Here is an electric car hauling a Pedego electric bike. image.jpeg

Attached Files:

7. proven

proven Member

Roamer: Does the trunk still open with that bike on there? We're trying to find a good bike rack for our tow hitch and ideally we'd like the trunk to open without removing the bike.

8. goneskiian

goneskiian Active Member

#8 goneskiian, Mar 9, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
    Just looking at it, I'm going to say no. It might tilt down and away with the bike still on it though. Most of them do.

Here is the hitch mount rack that I would like to get. It will tilt down and away. vangogh posted some photos of it in a thread. I'll look for it.

1UPUSA.com Bicycle Racks

Here's vangogh's thread with pictures...

Nice Bike Rack for the X....