Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Found this little gem on my $55K Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was curious what I had, so I went and checked. In the Model Y you don’t have to remove the whole frunk insert to see it, just pop off the intake cover on top. Super easy.

I have molded plastic pieces with a channel for the straps. VIN 39xxx, August build date.

Looks more and more like they have the right parts and either ran out or are slowly switching over to it. My opinion stands that this isn't a big deal and people are just looking for a reason to hate on Tesla for some reason. At least pick something worth hating like the empty FSD promises, phantom braking issues, service center attitude or the multitude of missing features that a 60K car should have but doesn't...yet.

^ I think there would be plenty of hate to go around if-when the people unlucky enough to have the Home Depot corner molding have HVAC failures due to complications of makeshift shrinking/cracking/deteriorating polystyrene parts being used in their $60K cars.
Anyone think the current Tesla corp. would cover these repairs once the B-to-B warranty is up even if the root cause was found to be due to failed corner moldings?

^ I think there would be plenty of hate to go around if-when the people unlucky enough to have the Home Depot corner molding have HVAC failures due to complications of makeshift shrinking/cracking/deteriorating polystyrene parts being used in their $60K cars.
Anyone think the current Tesla corp. would cover these repairs once the B-to-B warranty is up even if the root cause was found to be due to failed corner moldings?

This is what regulatory bodies are for. Would you be happy with the formed L pieces from post #120 or are you mad that they have tape, a band and plastic in general? Also these parts look to just be there for support so any cracking, shrinkage or otherwise probably wont affect the HVAC for a very long time. I would bet that in that time something else needed major repairs and these would have been replaced.

• Disagree
Reactions: croman and saltsman
I'll let the photos speak for themselves... which would you rather have in your $60K car when the warranty runs out?
Which one is more likely to compress even further over time?
Have you ever worked with that crap polystyrene corner molding? It simply cracks at a certain stress level.. I would not be surprised to see some of the moldings crack right along the inside corner joint. At that point the support strap will be lose and offer no support for the LCC assembly.

LCC-Bracing-Compared.png

Looks more and more like they have the right parts and either ran out or are slowly switching over to it. My opinion stands that this isn't a big deal and people are just looking for a reason to hate on Tesla for some reason. .

Every washer, nut, and bolt used in the cars construction is there by design. The pitch and thread and torque are known and purposeful.

Fastening something with what is clearly RANDOM, left-over parts is pretty good reason for concern.

Every washer, nut, and bolt used in the cars construction is there by design. The pitch and thread and torque are known and purposeful.

Fastening something with what is clearly RANDOM, left-over parts is pretty good reason for concern.
You are making the assumption this wasn't by design? You think someone on the line was just like "You know what would go really well here?! Some wood veneer!" It's "random" parts but they all have the same intent. I'd bet a years salary several days if not weeks of engineering time was put into this fix. Like I said above, it's hacky, its ugly, but its functional and unless you take your cowl off and look you don't see it.

I love how some folks are defending this "fix" as being resourceful.

If this arrangement appeared on a Chevrolet Bolt the members here would lose their *sugar*.

Funny thing is the wood is a band-aid for a band-aid; the cooler is insufficiently supported in its original design, necessitating the band strap.

I would have the same response on any car. I'm not some fan boi who thinks Tesla can do no wrong. I am speaking purely from an engineering standpoint. Tesla has a truckload of problems that are inexcusable. Panel gaps produced by RNG, paint that seems to be every tone from here to sunday, phantom breaking that is going to kill someone, the list goes on.

You are making the assumption this wasn't by design? You think someone on the line was just like "You know what would go really well here?! Some wood veneer!" It's "random" parts but they all have the same intent. I'd bet a years salary several days if not weeks of engineering time was put into this fix. Like I said above, it's hacky, its ugly, but its functional and unless you take your cowl off and look you don't see it.

Since you assume it was actually designed, what aspects of them do you think were designed?

Their material? they're various and different.
Their finishing? like, hey, coincidentally, the wood-finish has absolutely zero purpose or function, but we'll use it because it's on sale?
Their length? every piece out there looks different
Their construction? looks like they were broken off over someones knee

VJfCzCD.jpg

LCC-Bracing-Compared.png

Since you assume it was actually designed, what aspects of them do you think were designed?

Their material? they're various and different.
Their finishing? like, hey, coincidentally, the wood-finish has absolutely zero purpose or function, but we'll use it because it's on sale?
Their length? every piece out there looks different
Their construction? looks like they were broken off over someones knee

The approach. It's a simple enough fix that you can just tell the operators hey put a piece roughly this long here. You don't always have to specify every single minutiae for something that isn't critical. I've stated this already and will again, it's hacky, it's ugly, it could be done prettier but in this instance I am in the function over form camp. If it was visible from any angle, I would be in the other camp.

also regarding homelink since it seems we are also discussing that -- when I come home the door opens like it should within x feet - HOWEVER - when I leave - it never closes and its setup properly. Since the homelink equipment is in the front - does it need to be line of site? I thought it would geofence calculate...? thanks in advance.
Early build RWD LR TM3 here with a data point: every once in a while after a new firmware update has been installed, my homelink will just stop closing the door when I leave. When I put the car into reverse, the homelink dialog box will not even pop open to offer to close the door in xx meters...my hack has been to unistall the garage door and then re install the door into the homelink system. YMMV.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP
A simple bracket that would use those bolts on the strut tower brace would work fine. Like a “U” shape that also ties into the bolts that holds the heat exchanger to the rest of the assembly. Isolate it with rubber or whatever.

Sounds like a good fix. But in this case Tesla needed to make their quarterly numbers... so some lucky owners get the Home Depot special.

• Funny
Reactions: lensovet