Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Found this little gem on my $55K Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m receiving my Model Y supposedly in a week or two. I plan on looking for this hack and if I find it I will demand it be serviced and proper parts be installed.

Do I have to be the first to say this?

"WITHIN SPEC!!!!"

hahahahahah

let us know what you find and what the advisor tells you, because I'm going to bet they'll say "they all look like that" and "that's within spec."

• Funny
Reactions: 1 person
I will also say if you've ever taken apart an ICE for something major, like pulling an engine, you will find zip ties, tapes, and clips that are not on the parts diagrams.
True. It's clear though that this was not the original design of the part. It does look janky and I'm skeptical that it hold up over time (especially when done with wood). If it works that's great, if it doesn't I doubt that that assembly is cheap. I wonder if there's a revision yet. The catalog lists revision C but the pictures I can see on this thread are revision B (and this one on eBay Tesla Model Y Supermanifold Assembly Coolant Bottle 1547595-00-B | eBay)

• Informative
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
True. It's clear though that this was not the original design of the part. It does look janky and I'm skeptical that it hold up over time (especially when done with wood). If it works that's great, if it doesn't I doubt that that assembly is cheap. I wonder if there's a revision yet. The catalog lists revision C but the pictures I can see on this thread are revision B (and this one on eBay Tesla Model Y Supermanifold Assembly Coolant Bottle 1547595-00-B | eBay)
I defiantly agree here, if it's wood, then that is not OK and its just going to rot but I am seeing others say it's veneer then I guess ok. They could have dipped in the pearl white paint jugs first.

It's only disappointing if the heat pump fails right after the warranty ends. Only time will tell if the fix works!

This is my concern as well. Cory Stuben of Munro hypothesized that the LCC needed to be lengthened with the addition of the heat pump system and that the added length/weight was creating leaks and/or failures during validation. Thus, Tesla added the band as a fix.

If the band holds long term, then I'm fine -- even if it's a little janky. Make it an official part, give it a number, and be done with it. However, in that same interview, Stuben also said that in one of the three Model Y's he inspected the fix had already cracked. That's not good. Given the stresses and vibrations inside a vehicle, this is especially concerning for the longevity of a critical sub-system.

If it does turn into a longevity issue, I would trust old Tesla to eventually make it right and provided an updated solution -- even out of warranty. They stood behind the Roadster when they needed new transmissions and they took care of early issues with the Falcon Doors on the Model X. I just hope "new" Tesla isn't so focused on quarterly profits they overlook their existing customer base and early adopters. The "within spec" mentality has gotten a bit out of hand lately and the company appears to be more focused on investor returns than customer satisfaction.

I would not take apart the compartment in the frunk for no reason. I took my photo when the mobile service was installing the homelink kit.
I defiantly agree here, if it's wood, then that is not OK and its just going to rot but I am seeing others say it's veneer then I guess ok. They could have dipped in the pearl white paint jugs first.
But then they wouldn’t have matched....

• Funny
Reactions: raggedy
I am also concerned that that common Home Depot corner molding is not automotive grade material and is not meant to withstand the wide temperature range swings seen in automotive use. It's designed/manufactured for in home use with narrow humidity and temperature swings. Our cars can see temps from 0 to 120F and higher, that doesn't happen in your house (hopefully). I just gutted an area of my home that we renovated 20yrs ago. I had used some of that plastic molding back then. Over time it shrunk and became very brittle. Most of it broke/shattered when I attempted to remove it. I can't imagine what it would be like in a typical automotive environment.

Look - IDGAF if the whole effing thing is made of MDF particle board.

Most reasonable people would care (i.e. GAF) if their car was made of MDF particle board (vs. 30X Cold-Rolled stainless-steel?). Technically... Yugo's 'worked'.

Bad design can lead to problems years down the line. Read my sig... (two cars w/MCU failures = $$$$ out of warranty repairs).

Last edited:
As you can see in this video, there is a plastic yellow ’wrap‘ used instead of corner molding. The molding is a temp fix but is the platic ‘yellow wrap‘ the original design?

Saw this on

Plastic yellow ‘wrap’
As you can see in this video, there is a plastic yellow ’wrap‘ used instead of corner molding. The molding is a temp fix but is the platic ‘yellow wrap‘ the original design?

Saw this on

Plastic yellow ‘wrap’ insteadof corner molding.
A2DE3CFC-9608-4616-8C15-139582978A31.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: GSP