Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Founder's Powerwall Installation Status

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm starting this thread to give a timeline of the installation process for the Founder's Powerwall 2 that I earned for the referral period that ended January 2016.

1/3 - I received a call from a Tesla Energy Rep for information to begin the installation process. The representative I spoke to confirmed my contact information and informed me of the site survey (performed by customer or Solar City) that was required before the design procss can commence. I informed him that I would like to added another Powerwall 2 to the installation. I was emailed detailed instructions on what was needed to complete the survey.

1/5 - I sent the information back to Tesla via the provided link. This included pictured of my panels (Main and sub panel) and preferred locations for the installation of the Powerwalls. I proposed the basement, where my panels resided, be my first choice and the garage my second choice. Since I live in the northeast the representative suggested that the Powerwalls be placed indoors since that will save the "self heating" the devices initiate once the temperature drops below a certain level. The garage would work but the installers prefer that the Powerwalls be as close to the panels as possible.

1/8 - I receive a request for additional information regarding the transfer switch and Solar Arrays (5KW installed in 2008 & 4KW installed in 2017). The transfer switch connects to critical loads (e.g., Refrigerator, Microwave, Boiler, etc) and is powered by a portable gas generator when an outage occurs. This information was forwarded to Tesla the same day.

1/12 - I received a call for the Tesla Energy rep informing me that the design process has been completed and requires my signature to proceed to the next phase. The following documents were included in the package:

Price Sheet - This document details the cost of each item. The Founder's Powerwall 2 ($0), Standard Powerwall 2 ($5,500), Installation Services ($2000), Multi Powerwall Installation ($200), Permits ($150), Taxes ($447), Award Installation Credit (-$2000). The total cost for the installation of both Powerwalls will be $6297.00

Utility Interconnect Form - This form is required by the utility company for any device that will be connected to the grid. I've submitted this form for each of the solar arrays that I've installed.

Drawing - This details the location of the existing infrastructure (e.g., Electrical Panels, Solar Inverters) as wells as the proposed location of the Powerwalls

Utility Authorization Form - This gives Tesla the permission to contact the utility company on my behalf

W-9 Tax Form - This form allows Tesla to confirm that they have the correct SSN for you. This is required since they will be submitting a 1099 in the amount of $5,500 for the Founder's Powerwall 2.

All forms were signed via docusign and the next step is receiving interconnection approval from the utility company. This is expected to take approximately 6 weeks (Late February 2018). Once the approval has been confirmed the installation will be scheduled and the Founder's Powerwall 2 will be manufactured. If all goes as planned I can expect the installation to occur sometime in May. This all depends on the schedule of my local Solar City Office. I will update this thread once I receive a confirmed installation date.

I'm starting this thread to give a timeline of the installation process for the Founder's Powerwall 2 that I earned for the referral period that ended January 2016.

1/3 - I received a call from a Tesla Energy Rep for information to begin the installation process. The representative I spoke to confirmed my contact information and informed me of the site survey (performed by customer or Solar City) that was required before the design procss can commence. I informed him that I would like to added another Powerwall 2 to the installation. I was emailed detailed instructions on what was needed to complete the survey.

1/5 - I sent the information back to Tesla via the provided link. This included pictured of my panels (Main and sub panel) and preferred locations for the installation of the Powerwalls. I proposed the basement, where my panels resided, be my first choice and the garage my second choice. Since I live in the northeast the representative suggested that the Powerwalls be placed indoors since that will save the "self heating" the devices initiate once the temperature drops below a certain level. The garage would work but the installers prefer that the Powerwalls be as close to the panels as possible.

1/8 - I receive a request for additional information regarding the transfer switch and Solar Arrays (5KW installed in 2008 & 4KW installed in 2017). The transfer switch connects to critical loads (e.g., Refrigerator, Microwave, Boiler, etc) and is powered by a portable gas generator when an outage occurs. This information was forwarded to Tesla the same day.

1/12 - I received a call for the Tesla Energy rep informing me that the design process has been completed and requires my signature to proceed to the next phase. The following documents were included in the package:

Price Sheet - This document details the cost of each item. The Founder's Powerwall 2 ($0), Standard Powerwall 2 ($5,500), Installation Services ($2000), Multi Powerwall Installation ($200), Permits ($150), Taxes ($447), Award Installation Credit (-$2000). The total cost for the installation of both Powerwalls will be $6297.00

Utility Interconnect Form - This form is required by the utility company for any device that will be connected to the grid. I've submitted this form for each of the solar arrays that I've installed.

Drawing - This details the location of the existing infrastructure (e.g., Electrical Panels, Solar Inverters) as wells as the proposed location of the Powerwalls

Utility Authorization Form - This gives Tesla the permission to contact the utility company on my behalf

W-9 Tax Form - This form allows Tesla to confirm that they have the correct SSN for you. This is required since they will be submitting a 1099 in the amount of $5,500 for the Founder's Powerwall 2.

All forms were signed via docusign and the next step is receiving interconnection approval from the utility company. This is expected to take approximately 6 weeks (Late February 2018). Once the approval has been confirmed the installation will be scheduled and the Founder's Powerwall 2 will be manufactured. If all goes as planned I can expect the installation to occur sometime in May. This all depends on the schedule of my local Solar City Office. I will update this thread once I receive a confirmed installation date.

2/5 - Received Interconnect approval from local utility company

3/8 - Received a call from my Tesla Energy Rep informing me that all batteries from the Gigafactory have been allocated for Model 3 deployments. This being the case my Founders Series Powerwall will be manufactured during the second quarter (June at the latest). I can expect installation to occur sometime in late August.

I hope that the installation occurs at least by mid summer so I can take advantage of the peak energy generated by my solar panels.

• Informative
Reactions: SoundDaTrumpet
3/8 - Received a call from my Tesla Energy Rep informing me that all batteries from the Gigafactory have been allocated for Model 3 deployments. This being the case my Founders Series Powerwall will be manufactured during the second quarter (June at the latest). I can expect installation to occur sometime in late August.
Hmm. We have a call tonight concerning our Founders Series Powerwalls. I wonder if we'll be getting the same news. We were also hoping to get ours installed a lot sooner. I wonder if this will delay our solar install as well.

Hi! I’m not throwing shade here, I’m just curious.

Do you think that this response could be reasonably viewed as, no Powerwall 2s will be delivered/installed at all until mid 2018?

Or is it more of a view that Founders Series Powerwall 2s are being delayed as a way to shave the ‘discretionary’ demand curve for battery modules?

I doubt they could not deliver any powerwalls till August, that seems excessive. But if they are ramping up Model 3 production, then that would be taking more batteries. Hopefully they will be able to do both. It's understandable that the free powerwall may be moved around a bit more but for purchased powerwalls I don't see that happening.

We were told in January that they would start building the Founders series Powerwalls in March so we got the ball rolling on solar. In early March we received similar news as @NYEVDriver and they let us know that they are focusing on Model 3 batteries. We had another call over the weekend and that said our Powerwalls could be available in June at the earliest or September at the latest. We'll probably go ahead and get solar installed before the Powerwalls and they will install the Powerwalls at a later day.

Not a part of the Founders PowerWall 2 or the referral program. I confirmed my order of 2 PowerWall 2's on September 27, 2017. After sorting out local sales tax issues, getting approval from Xcel Energy, and getting approval from the City of Boulder, CO, the Tesla installers are installing two PW2's in my house, today, April 3, 2018. These will work with the existing, 8-year-old, 9.9 kW-DC PV system; SMA Sunny Boys.

PowerWalls 1.JPG

Last edited:
Excellent news Cottonwood. Be sure and post some construction in progress photos of the powerwall install.

Glad to see that you are posting again Cottonwood. I thought maybe you got run over by a truck or something. :eek:

2/5 - Received Interconnect approval from local utility company

I hope that the installation occurs at least by mid summer so I can take advantage of the peak energy generated by my solar panels.

4/5 - I received an email from my Tesla Energy Rep informing me that there is a meeting scheduled at Tesla in May to determine how best to proceed with Founder Series units that have not yet been installed. He reiterates that he is trying to complete any projects that have already been started. I am assuming that he means any projects that have already received approval (e.g., signed contract & utility approval) and are just awaiting installation. He stated that he only has a "handful" of such projects. I am hoping that this does not mean that the Founders Powerwall 2 will not be offered as an option for those that have qualified for the prize. I know some may say that they do not care as long as they receive a free Powerwall 2 but I feel that those that referred customers to Tesla should receive something extra. Now if they offered me (2) regular Powerwall 2's for free I'll take that over a (1) Founder's Power 2. All we can do is wait and see.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
@NYEVDriver - Thanks for the very detailed posts, appreciate it.
For the founder series powerwall, would you mind sharing the time between becoming eligible (all 4 referral deliveries taken) => email to order the powerwall => delivery and installation (ongoing process I see).
I am trying to plan for expansion of my solar PV system and need to estimate when would I get the PW2s (I should be getting 2 PW2)from Tesla. My referrals will be taking deliveries by end of May.

I think your assumption that Powerwalls are going to take a back seat for a while is correct, Tesla wants to concentrate or ramp up on the model 3 is correct, Powerwalls are a little more complicated to make as opposed to making it for the model 3, my TA has given me a date of this December for one Powerwall and last week my on site assessment is completed and Iam waiting for a quote now, maybe in California SGID step 4 might be opened by than save me 2600$ hopefully

@NYEVDriver - Thanks for the very detailed posts, appreciate it.
For the founder series powerwall, would you mind sharing the time between becoming eligible (all 4 referral deliveries taken) => email to order the powerwall => delivery and installation (ongoing process I see).
I am trying to plan for expansion of my solar PV system and need to estimate when would I get the PW2s (I should be getting 2 PW2)from Tesla. My referrals will be taking deliveries by end of May.
My deliveries took place last summer and I am still waiting on the powerwall. I wouldn't wait for Tesla.

4/5 - I received an email from my Tesla Energy Rep informing me that there is a meeting scheduled at Tesla in May to determine how best to proceed with Founder Series units that have not yet been installed. He reiterates that he is trying to complete any projects that have already been started. I am assuming that he means any projects that have already received approval (e.g., signed contract & utility approval) and are just awaiting installation. He stated that he only has a "handful" of such projects. I am hoping that this does not mean that the Founders Powerwall 2 will not be offered as an option for those that have qualified for the prize. I know some may say that they do not care as long as they receive a free Powerwall 2 but I feel that those that referred customers to Tesla should receive something extra. Now if they offered me (2) regular Powerwall 2's for free I'll take that over a (1) Founder's Power 2. All we can do is wait and see.

7/2 - Spoke to my Tesla Energy Rep and he confirmed that the meeting in May was to talk about the reduction of staffing associated with Solar City. He now has 600 more "Powerwall 2" installations that he is responsible for. This is outside of the 20+ "Founders Series Powerwall" installs that are already in the pipeline. The good news is that the standard Powerwall 2 that will be installed with my Founders Powerwall is already at the warehouse of my local Solar City installer. We are just awaiting the dispatch of the Founders series. It is actually a good thing I spoke with him, it gave me an opportunity to confirm that I will be receiving the "Signed" Founders PowerWall 2 from the referral program that ended January 2017. There are actually several Founders versions that are being dispatched but are not signed from post January 2017 referral programs. So the delay for me is just getting my Powerwall 2 signed and then dispatched to my local Solar City installer. Unfortunately my installation cannot be schedule until both PowerWalls are confirmed to be onsite by the installer (1 confirmed & 1 unconfirmed). He is shooting for mid August for an installation date. If both Powerwalls were onsite now my installation would occur on July 19th. He was able to send me a picture of the signed "Founders Powerwall 2". I attached it to this thread. Still hoping to receive them before summer ends.

Signed_zpsjxu1y663.jpg

7/2 - Spoke to my Tesla Energy Rep and he confirmed that the meeting in May was to talk about the reduction of staffing associated with Solar City. He now has 600 more "Powerwall 2" installations that he is responsible for. This is outside of the 20+ "Founders Series Powerwall" installs that are already in the pipeline. The good news is that the standard Powerwall 2 that will be installed with my Founders Powerwall is already at the warehouse of my local Solar City installer. We are just awaiting the dispatch of the Founders series. It is actually a good thing I spoke with him, it gave me an opportunity to confirm that I will be receiving the "Signed" Founders PowerWall 2 from the referral program that ended January 2017. There are actually several Founders versions that are being dispatched but are not signed from post January 2017 referral programs. So the delay for me is just getting my Powerwall 2 signed and then dispatched to my local Solar City installer. Unfortunately my installation cannot be schedule until both PowerWalls are confirmed to be onsite by the installer (1 confirmed & 1 unconfirmed). He is shooting for mid August for an installation date. If both Powerwalls were onsite now my installation would occur on July 19th. He was able to send me a picture of the signed "Founders Powerwall 2". I attached it to this thread. Still hoping to receive them before summer ends.

7/19 - I received a call from my Tesla Energy Rep confirming that my Signed Founders Powerwall 2 would be delivered to my local Solar City Installer on Friday, July 20th. Scheduling of my installation will occur on Monday, July 23rd. Based on my last update it looks like will my Rep was correct regarding a tentative install date of mid-August. I guess that counts as "before the end of summer" ;)

7/19 - I received a call from my Tesla Energy Rep confirming that my Signed Founders Powerwall 2 would be delivered to my local Solar City Installer on Friday, July 20th. Scheduling of my installation will occur on Monday, July 23rd. Based on my last update it looks like will my Rep was correct regarding a tentative install date of mid-August. I guess that counts as "before the end of summer" ;)

7/24 - I received a call from a Tesla Energy scheduling Rep (this is a team dedicated to scheduling). He went over the installation with me and confirmed a few details of my installation. I have been scheduled for two appointments. The first appointment is a final walk through by a Tesla electrician. This will occur on July 31st. There is usually completed within an hour and is used to verify the locations of the Powerwalls and the Gateway. The second appointment is the actually installation of the Powerwalls. This is scheduled for August 14th and 15th. This implementation will require both days in full. I was also informed that Tesla will invoice me for the installation. The invoice will appear in my Tesla account post installation. Since I opted for the whole home backup the Tesla app will be able to give me detailed information on the (2) HPWC I have installed in the garage. This was news to me and makes me even more anxious to have the installation completed. I will be recording the entire process and posting it to my YouTube channel.

7/24 - I received a call from a Tesla Energy scheduling Rep (this is a team dedicated to scheduling). He went over the installation with me and confirmed a few details of my installation. I have been scheduled for two appointments. The first appointment is a final walk through by a Tesla electrician. This will occur on July 31st. There is usually completed within an hour and is used to verify the locations of the Powerwalls and the Gateway. The second appointment is the actually installation of the Powerwalls. This is scheduled for August 14th and 15th. This implementation will require both days in full. I was also informed that Tesla will invoice me for the installation. The invoice will appear in my Tesla account post installation. Since I opted for the whole home backup the Tesla app will be able to give me detailed information on the (2) HPWC I have installed in the garage. This was news to me and makes me even more anxious to have the installation completed. I will be recording the entire process and posting it to my YouTube channel.

7/31 - The Tesla electrician performed the final walk-though prior to installation today. He was very kind and open to different options which best suited my installation. The only changes that were suggested were to move the Powerwalls from the inner wall of my boiler room onto the concrete wall (the walls of my basement are poured concrete). He made the suggested based on the weight of the Powerwalls (@ 350 lbs). He also suggested moving the sub-panel that I installed last year and moving the breakers associated my solar arrays (5 Kw & 4 Kw) from the main panel to the sub-panel (sub-panel will only have breakers for Solar Arrays, AC, HPWC's & Powerwalls only post installation). I currently don't have room near my main panel for the gateway. By moving the sub-panel the gateway can be placed next to the main panel. Moving the breakers will also free up space in my main panel which is completely full. The Powerwalls will be used to backup my entire home except my AC and the (2) HPWC that are installed in my garage. I will use a standard outlet to charge the cars in the case of an extended outage. I have an ICE car that I can use in the case of a power outage. He stated that the installation should take just one day. Looking forward to the installation occurring on August 14th.

7/31 - The Tesla electrician performed the final walk-though prior to installation today. He was very kind and open to different options which best suited my installation. The only changes that were suggested were to move the Powerwalls from the inner wall of my boiler room onto the concrete wall (the walls of my basement are poured concrete). He made the suggested based on the weight of the Powerwalls (@ 350 lbs). He also suggested moving the sub-panel that I installed last year and moving the breakers associated my solar arrays (5 Kw & 4 Kw) from the main panel to the sub-panel (sub-panel will only have breakers for Solar Arrays, AC, HPWC's & Powerwalls only post installation). I currently don't have room near my main panel for the gateway. By moving the sub-panel the gateway can be placed next to the main panel. Moving the breakers will also free up space in my main panel which is completely full. The Powerwalls will be used to backup my entire home except my AC and the (2) HPWC that are installed in my garage. I will use a standard outlet to charge the cars in the case of an extended outage. I have an ICE car that I can use in the case of a power outage. He stated that the installation should take just one day. Looking forward to the installation occurring on August 14th.

8/14 - 8/16 - The Solar City team took 3 days to complete the installation of my system. The delays were primarily due to the number of changes that had to me made to my design during the installation process. Overall I am very happy with the process. The team made certain that I understood what was being done and why. The Powerwalls are on but the readings are completely inaccurate. I opened a case with Tesla support and it has been escalated to 2nd level support to resolve. The issue appears to require a remote reset of the metering information. Unfortunately this can take 3 to 5 days to resolve. I'm not going to complain since there are many individuals out there that are still waiting for an installation date. I will be creating a video on my YouTube channel detailing my entire setup over the next few days. Thank for listening to my story and I hope this answers any questions you may have. Feel free to reach out to me if you have any more questions.

DJI_20180816_213138_zpspgvy1jhg.jpg