Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free 22 inch on my x?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Quick update on real-world difference since my swap. I use abetterrouteplanner to map out my routes, and I previously had it set to 380 Wh/mi cruising at 65 mph, and with very few exceptions, it has predicted to the percent my remaining battery pulling into a supercharger. I calibrated on the first leg of my road trip and confirmed on the second leg, I’m now at 330 Wh/mi, a 13% improvement.

If I remember my planning right, this will save me as much as 3-4 hours at superchargers driving from Seattle to Indiana.

I understand it's fair that the 22's reduce range, cost more to replace, are stiffer riding, and are more susceptible to blowouts, but I don't understand all this hate everywhere about them. Your range hit is negligible compared to the range hit that comes from hard acceleration that all of you guys do daily.

They do have some advantages. First of all, they look amazing. Since they're matte black, you don't really have to clean them that much (in fact to me, they look better when dirty). The biggest benefit is that they improve handling by, like, a LOT. Your Model X will corner much better, never "bounce" around corners. You can take turns at much higher speed, never lose grip under hard acceleration, and best of all, you will have much better stopping power since they have a larger footprint than the 20" wheels. So, in my experience, the 22" are actually safer when driving. You are more likely to prevent a collision as your heavy Model X will be more agile with them.

Yes. The handling seems to be the best part apart from looks. The car is really heavy. I only drove Model S for a while and needed more passenger space so moved to X

Reactions: spectrum
I understand it's fair that the 22's reduce range, cost more to replace, are stiffer riding, and are more susceptible to blowouts, but I don't understand all this hate everywhere about them. Your range hit is negligible compared to the range hit that comes from hard acceleration that all of you guys do daily.

They do have some advantages. First of all, they look amazing. Since they're matte black, you don't really have to clean them that much (in fact to me, they look better when dirty). The biggest benefit is that they improve handling by, like, a LOT. Your Model X will corner much better, never "bounce" around corners. You can take turns at much higher speed, never lose grip under hard acceleration, and best of all, you will have much better stopping power since they have a larger footprint than the 20" wheels. So, in my experience, the 22" are actually safer when driving. You are more likely to prevent a collision as your heavy Model X will be more agile with them.

Does it really corner much better on the 22" wheels? We have some proper driving roads in the UK countryside and the standard 20s on Michelins are pretty good on the handling/grip front. Certainly not an obvious handicap. I've driven the X with 22s and didn't feel they offered any more or less grip, but they certainly made the ride a little more harsh and crashy. Also more road noise at speed. Plus there will be no decent winter tyre options for the 22s, so any marginal dry weather advantage will be wiped away over the winter months.

22s win for looks (perhaps arguably a bit blingy for some tastes), 20s win easily for year round practicality.

...since they have a larger footprint than the 20" wheels...

Can you explain how you came to this reasoning? Aren't the 22" tires the same width & the same outer circumference as the 20" tires? (truly, I don't actually know - can someone confirm?).

If so, I struggle to understand how the "contact patch" is greater than the 20", but would appreciate an explanation from someone more versed in geometry than I.

Looks like I'm getting a set of 22s soon (or not so soon!) via the referral program. I'm tempted to fit them for the summer just to see how they handle on the ultra-low profile tyres, but I'm not expecting to keep them. Might even just sell them brand new and put the money toward our Model 3.