Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Free Supercharging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was an early buyer of a Model S 75D and as part of a promotion I got free charging for life. The other day while on a trip with about 80 miles left in the "tank" I plugged in at a sparsely populated supercharging station expecting to be fully charged in 15 minutes, but it took almost an hour. Is that because I don't get free supercharging and so it switched to normal charging?

• Funny
Reactions: Rocky_H
Super chargers don’t have multiple charging speeds AFAIK. They go up to the max of what the car can accept and the station can provide. Try another supercharger station if you can and see if your slow speeds are consistent.
What was your state of charge when you had the slow speeds, and what was your speed at that specific state of charge?

I was an early buyer of a Model S 75D and as part of a promotion I got free charging for life. The other day while on a trip with about 80 miles left in the "tank" I plugged in at a sparsely populated supercharging station expecting to be fully charged in 15 minutes, but it took almost an hour. Is that because I don't get free supercharging and so it switched to normal charging?
So you plugged in at ~35%?

It has never taken 15 minutes to get “fully charged” at a supercharger. An hour is about right.

Tesla and other manufacturers use the x miles in 15 minutes routine, but that’s typically from 1% state of charge at the fastest possible charger. Once you hit around 30% your charge rate will decrease more and more as you fill up.
A level 2 supercharger, known as a city charger also, has a peak of 72kw. A level 3 supercharger is 150kw, and a level 3 2nd gen supercharger charges at a max rate of 250kw currently. Very broad results.

… and unless you really need the range, or are charging while you eat or sleep or are otherwise occupied, it’s a waste of time to supercharge until ‘fully charged’. Your charge rate will reduce as your charge percentage increases, and above 80% it’s not really worth the time.

Here’s what a peak rates charge for 15 minutes looks like on a BTX5 car. (It really is no faster starting at 10% because it throttles back early)

1627404578459.png

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Super chargers don’t have multiple charging speeds AFAIK. They go up to the max of what the car can accept and the station can provide.

Tesla and other manufacturers use the x miles in 15 minutes routine, but that’s typically from 1% state of charge at the fastest possible charger. Once you hit around 30% your charge rate will decrease more and more as you fill up.
A level 2 supercharger, known as a city charger also, has a peak of 72kw. A level 3 supercharger is 150kw, and a level 3 2nd gen supercharger charges at a max rate of 250kw currently. Very broad results.
All superchargers ale level 3 chargers by the nature of the speeds they provide. you are quite close in your statements otherwise though.
Urban Supercharger smaller mostly white stations 72kW no load sharing

Most common SC Ver 2 large white shell with giant hole in the middle that's red with thick cable labeled A and B Max 150kW, shares load so if you are plugged in while someone else is also plugged into the same pair (you're in 3A and someone else is on 3B) the person that plugged in first gets the lions share of power and the other gets 36kw until the other car unplugs or drops down below about 40kW then your car will start going to about 67kW or so.

Newer SC V3 looks nearly identical to the V2 just it has a smaller main cable and is numbered A-D. max 250kW no load sharing so no matter what stall you plug into you will get the max speed your car can handle for its current SoC.

So now lets get into the speeds using my car P85D as an example if i plug in at 30% it will take about 2-3 hours to reach 100%. but it will be at about 75% in like 45 min to an hour. When my pack is down at like 2% the max i can pull regardless of where i plug into is 127kW, it can be less i the SC stall doesn't support that speed for reasons already said above. As the battery SoC goes up the speed from the SC goes down. See my graph I've made over the last 2 years of my SC activity for the speed curve.

How to tell if you have free SC or not, on the bottom right of your main screen when plugged in is the SC pay area, if it says no recent supercharging while you are in fact plugged into a SC then you have free like me.

My car graph.JPG

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve