Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Freemont shift schedule. How many, weekends etc.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That seems more than what they actually do from the parking lot view, but that's often not indicative of the factory running.

For instance, in most large systems, they tend to shut down most during the peak working hours, and run most during the valley working hours. The logic there is that maintenance and tuning goes on during peak working hours, and then when the maintenance crews leave, the factory runs all night and weekend with a skeleton crew. This is true for cement factories, railroads, and I presume things like car factories, too. If this is all true, then it's possible they run 24/7 minus maintenance windows (weekdays 8-5).

I can understand that those who are used to manned assembly line stations rather than unmanned (automated) stations have an outdated view on this.

But, indications are that Tesla's factory uptime is somewhat less than 24/7. I don't know how much less. They might have Sunday off, or only run two shifts. How much of a skeleton crew they need to make the factory churn is a decent question, too. If the skeleton crew is small enough, they could easily hide their employee parking lot and fool almost everyone.

What do you want to bet that China and competing car companies already have spies and equipment that knows exactly when Tesla's factory lines are running? I wouldn't be surprised if spies already planted 24/7 video transmitters all throughout the factory. If Elon threw a transmission shield all around the factory (top, bottom, sides), and shut down the factory network from outside connection, I wouldn't be at all surprised if he gets backlash from spies who were used to having all that info at their fingertips. That's probably not even trivially possible, since they probably have remote workers already, as well as integrated process flows that cross factory boundaries.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: NeverFollow
Hi folks. Curious on the factory shifting.

How many shifts do they run.

How many days of the week to they run.

Just curious.

John

See below from page 14, Section 4.3 "Employee Count" of the Fremont Tesla Master Plan.

Capture.JPG

That seems more than what they actually do from the parking lot view, but that's often not indicative of the factory running.

For instance, in most large systems, they tend to shut down most during the peak working hours, and run most during the valley working hours. The logic there is that maintenance and tuning goes on during peak working hours, and then when the maintenance crews leave, the factory runs all night and weekend with a skeleton crew. This is true for cement factories, railroads, and I presume things like car factories, too. If this is all true, then it's possible they run 24/7 minus maintenance windows (weekdays 8-5).

I can understand that those who are used to manned assembly line stations rather than unmanned (automated) stations have an outdated view on this.

I'm going to hazard a guess that you haven't toured the factory. :) I don't doubt your knowledge of cement factories & railroads -- but in my experience (which includes evaluating more than electro-mechanical software-driven product production, along with chip manufacturing), they tend to be shut down for maintenance and such during off-peak hours. Having management available to make decisions if something goes wrong is what I've typically seen - both fully automated and manual assembly manufacturing.

Reactions: smicker
  • Love
Reactions: nikeykid