Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How Accurate? Edmunds cost of ownership - link inside

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm still a couple of weeks out from claiming my Model Y, so the research and fun continues. : )

I stumbled across this page though on Edmunds for a 2022 Model Y for Cost of Ownership. How accurate do you think it is for a 5 year period?
The part that's most curious to me, is the repairs section. I wasn't really able to find a breakdown. I wonder what they are anticipating for repairs, because that seems like quite a bit.
Tires etc would probably fall under maintenance.

Just thought it was interesting!

I will have had my MYLR for three years come April and I've had no repairs, out of pocket or under warranty.

The only consumables I've replaced so far are the cabin air filter twice at $50 each time (I bought 3rd party carbon/HEPA filters, if I had purchased Tesla's filters it would have been $34 each time). I used 2 cans of condenser cleaner at $17 per can. And I've gone thru 1 bottle of windshield washer fluid from Walmart at about $4.

I have not had to replace the original tires yet, but probably will at some point this year (I'm at 30k mi). I expect to pay about $1,300. I've done my own tire rotations, but you can pay Tesla to do it for $65. Once you've purchased tires from somewhere like Costco or Discount Tire, they will do future rotations for free.

My 12v battery is due to fail somewhere around year 4, so that will be $85 to replace if I do it myself. You wont have that issue if you have a car with the 16v lithium ion battery.

I don't have complete data for 2021, but I'd estimate my charging costs were about $325. For 2022 I know my total cost of charging was $435, and for $2023 it was $455. (I drive on average about 12,000 mi per year)

There are too many variables involved in insurance and taxes, so I don't know why Edmunds even includes that.

One thing that Edmunds did not cover is cost to install home charging. Sure you ...can... charge off a normal 120v outlet, but you really want a wall charger or 240v outlet installed in your garage. This will run you anywhere from several hundred bucks to several thousand bucks depending. My garage is on the complete opposite side of the house from my electrical panel, so it ended up running me about $850 to have a 240v outlet installed in my garage. Had I decided to go with the Tesla wall connector, that would have been an additional $450.

So far, this has been an extremely inexpensive and enjoyable car to own.

Reactions: cxone
I will have had my MYLR for three years come April and I've had no repairs, out of pocket or under warranty.

The only consumables I've replaced so far are the cabin air filter twice at $50 each time (I bought 3rd party carbon/HEPA filters, if I had purchased Tesla's filters it would have been $34 each time). I used 2 cans of condenser cleaner at $17 per can. And I've gone thru 1 bottle of windshield washer fluid from Walmart at about $4.

I have not had to replace the original tires yet, but probably will at some point this year (I'm at 30k mi). I expect to pay about $1,300. I've done my own tire rotations, but you can pay Tesla to do it for $65. Once you've purchased tires from somewhere like Costco or Discount Tire, they will do future rotations for free.

My 12v battery is due to fail somewhere around year 4, so that will be $85 to replace if I do it myself. You wont have that issue if you have a car with the 16v lithium ion battery.

I don't have complete data for 2021, but I'd estimate my charging costs were about $325. For 2022 I know my total cost of charging was $435, and for $2023 it was $455. (I drive on average about 12,000 mi per year)

There are too many variables involved in insurance and taxes, so I don't know why Edmunds even includes that.

One thing that Edmunds did not cover is cost to install home charging. Sure you ...can... charge off a normal 120v outlet, but you really want a wall charger or 240v outlet installed in your garage. This will run you anywhere from several hundred bucks to several thousand bucks depending. My garage is on the complete opposite side of the house from my electrical panel, so it ended up running me about $850 to have a 240v outlet installed in my garage. Had I decided to go with the Tesla wall connector, that would have been an additional $450.

So far, this has been an extremely inexpensive and enjoyable car to own.

Great info man! That's so awesome to see.