Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frequent price changes worse than negotiated discounts

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
These constant price changes are terrible. They destroy brand value and hurt both old and new customers. They make people doubt their decisions, wonder if they made/are making the right choices, and become generally more reluctant in such a major purchase, the purchase of a car. People highly value smooth and steady price movements and become anxious when prices gyrate (e.g., volatile stock or crazy inflation). There's a behavior economics in this and Tesla really should recognize these issues and how people actually feel.

Honestly set prices with negotiated discounts is a much better model than constant price changes. At least there's constancy on paper, and people emotionally enjoy discounts even if they are illusory.

You're right, everyone will flock back to the dealerships. I'm so upset about how my same configuration is cheaper than it was when I bought it that I've pledged my next car purchase will come from a dealership, rather than this silly, detached online purchase where I'm left second-guessing my purchase every moment of every day (other than when I'm driving the car of course). I really missed the art of the negotiation. Dealerships are the only way and Tesla's recent price fluctuations are proving that.

Back to the tried and true method of selling cars! And while we're at it, I also prefer coal's steady and consistent effect on our climate.

• Funny
Reactions: Cirrus MS100D
This is not me complaining about price changes' effects on me; instead it's my thinking for the good of Tesla in general.

Normal people pay attention to the price of the car only when they are looking to buy a car. It doesn't matter what it used to sell at or what it might sell at in future. The car buying process is, "I need a car; What's out there in my budget that works for me?; Which one of those in my budget do I like?; Buy the car and move on with life."

Assuming that most car buyers are normal people, Tesla should be fine.

Reactions: Nocturnal
Status
Not open for further replies.