Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

From a Jeep to a M3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m going from a 2017 JKRHR with a 2.5” metalcloak lift and 35’s. And a 50mike daily commute.

Recently I decided to trade my wife cars and I’ve been sporting her 2013 bmw 335i. Much better on gas. We decided to make a switch to the Tesla model 3. The BMW will be sold and my wife will drive the jeep as needed once the Tesla arrives.

I’m using gas as an excuse. Really I just think it’s a neat car. I hate stopping at gas stations on the way to/from work. I started off aiming for a LR RWD. but found out from Tesla rep that it’s only 2k cheaper than a LR AWD so decided the only logical move was a performance model. (I’m insane).

If you plan on taking the model 3 off the beaten path at all you might look into paint protection film. The paint is apparently rather delicate and the rockers will get demolished.

LOVE my Jeep for dirty trips, nasty icy roads, pulling the boat/ jetskiis, transporting the dog, and when I will be in sketchy areas with potential door dings... -My 3 is for everything else:)
I must say though, my AWD M3 drives quite nicely in snow/ ice, I just don't trust the other drivers in a state that doesn't plow most roads. (We just wait for it to melt, y'all).

Thanks for all the responses!

So, I looked up where charging stations might be in areas close to where we camp. There are a couple right outside of Joshua Tree, Yosemite has a Tesla charger in the Valley and the lodge we stay at when we aren’t in a tent has a supercharging station right across the street. Sequoia is a bit harder since the station is a little ways down the road, but between mountain roads and Regen and the LR, I should be good there too!

Now I just have to convince my wife that we need the LR and myself that I am ready for something so fancy:)

I have been driving Jeeps since 2002. My current rig is a 2008 Jk Unlimited with a 4” lift, steel bumpers, and 37” tires. I get about 14 miles to the gallon and am paying $400 a month on gas. I still love the Jeep and won’t get rid of it, but... I have started to look at EV’s.

I originally looked at the Kia, Hyundai, Bolt, and Leaf because I thought the M3 was too expensive and too fancy. Then I drove it.

Now I am seriously thinking about a Tesla.

My issue is, I am pretty outdoorsy. I climb, camp, ride bikes, hiking with the dog, long road trips etc. I am looking at the RWD LR because I want the extra range and I can’t afford the AWD.

Has anyone else used their Tesla in a similar fashion? I’m not taking it off-roading or anything crazy, but maybe a gravel road or snow every now and then. I will probably put a roof rack on it for my bike.

Am I crazy to want a Tesla?
No more new LR RWD available... friends looked for one last week. If you look for pre owned it’s worth paying the $75 for Tesla to do a diagnostic on it to make sure it’s okay. New You’ll get an SR or an AWD. I had a Jeep for many years, loved it...she was even in Four Wheeler magazines Top Truck Challenge one year. Gravel roads not a problem (though if you care about paint you might want PPF) but not a lot of ground clearance. Really fun to drive, great for road trips.

• Disagree
Reactions: PhaseWhite
No more new LR RWD available... friends looked for one last week. If you look for pre owned it’s worth paying the $75 for Tesla to do a diagnostic on it to make sure it’s okay. New You’ll get an SR or an AWD. I had a Jeep for many years, loved it...she was even in Four Wheeler magazines Top Truck Challenge one year. Gravel roads not a problem (though if you care about paint you might want PPF) but not a lot of ground clearance. Really fun to drive, great for road trips.

That’s weird. I was told just yesterday that I could get it off the menu. They priced it out and everything.

• Informative
Reactions: PhaseWhite
I have been driving Jeeps since 2002. My current rig is a 2008 Jk Unlimited with a 4” lift, steel bumpers, and 37” tires. I get about 14 miles to the gallon and am paying $400 a month on gas. I still love the Jeep and won’t get rid of it, but... I have started to look at EV’s.

I originally looked at the Kia, Hyundai, Bolt, and Leaf because I thought the M3 was too expensive and too fancy. Then I drove it.

Now I am seriously thinking about a Tesla.

My issue is, I am pretty outdoorsy. I climb, camp, ride bikes, hiking with the dog, long road trips etc. I am looking at the RWD LR because I want the extra range and I can’t afford the AWD.

Has anyone else used their Tesla in a similar fashion? I’m not taking it off-roading or anything crazy, but maybe a gravel road or snow every now and then. I will probably put a roof rack on it for my bike.

Am I crazy to want a Tesla?

First vehicle was a Jeep. I currently own a Comanche, J20, and well equipped Rubicon. I told myself I'd never drive anything but a Jeep.
Once a friend let me drive his original Roadster, I knew that one day I wanted an electric vehicle.
Now that I own a Model 3 we take it everywhere. I recently told myself I'll never buy another new vehicle if it isn't electric or have autopilot.

The Model 3 has low ground clearance. I'm used to being able to literally drive over anything. Nothing has ever stopped my Rubicon. I've pushed through 4' snow drifts, climbed over car sized boulders, and can go anywhere I point it. So anytime I need to pull off the road or in a grassy field for event overflow parking in the Tesla I am nervous I'll get stuck or scrape bumpers. We have the AWD and it is impressive in the snow. For your application, I'd go with the 18" wheel and tire setup. A little more rubber if you are on some dirt roads with pot holes. I wouldn't recommend the Model 3 on anything more than a well graded dirt road. I'd also highly recommend PPF on the rocker panels and areas prone to chipping.

I came from a Jeep and have no regrets with the Model 3. Trust me, it will be hard to climb back into a Jeep and drive it after spending time in a Tesla. I keep my Wrangler around for offroading and winter if it snows more than 4".

Last edited:
One small thing to remember (or big thing for many people) is that the rims on the 3 stick out past the tires just a little bit. Coming from a vehicle that curbs, etc. didn't matter, I scuffed up 3 of my rims in the first few months. I sanded, bondoed & used touch up paint and it's only noticeable if you look close but it sucks. 100% my fault but it was an adjustment. Be careful until you make new habits & realize that you're not invincible anymore.

The store rep went to computer looking for one, etc., said only option for LR was AWD. Will be interesting if you are able to order one.

I was able to as of this afternoon. He said today was pretty much the last day to do so. That I had to put my $2500 down so he could do the paperwork to get the LR RWD.

I decided against it. It was hard to make a $50,000 plus commitment just to get RWD and the full $3750 tax credit.

Maybe an AWD is in my future, or I will just fix up the Jeep and be happy with that.

• Helpful
Reactions: Dana1
Sounds like you’re not sure what you want and it might be a stretch to afford. I’d wait until you are certain you are ready for a Tesla because if you didn’t know for sure after driving one (I presume you have right?) you’re probably not ready. I drove one and knew immediately it was the right car for us and took delivery less than 14 days later. As someone who spends a lot of time off road however, I would never recommend taking a model 3 off pavement unless it was a well graded gravel road, and even then I would hate it. If/when you’re ready, keep the Jeep or a beater to wheel and the Tesla for everything else.

Not crazy at all, but we might not be the best judge of sanity.

Take me for example.

I had a 2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited that I was pretty content with, and then I got a Model S. But, that meant I was only driving the Jeep on the weekends when I wanted to go camping/biking/etc. So I put very little miles on it.

Then I got the bright idea that I would get a 4x4 Camper van, and I'd sell the Jeep. I went for about a year trying to get my soul to let go of the Jeep, but I just couldn't. There is just something about a Jeep that connects to my soul.

So I traded the 2012 Jeep in on a 2019 Jeep Wrangler unlimited that solved a lot of things I didn't like about the Jeep I had. I now have a 4x4 Camper Van, a new Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, and a Model 3 (the P3D+).

Now I do have a long term mental stability plan on trading in both the Jeep and the Model 3 in on a Rivian.

The Rivian is really my only hope to avoid the nut house.

The funny thing about the new Jeep is it has that auto-engine shutoff. That's how ICE cars do it these days to save gas, and it's about the most annoying thing in the world. Sure you can softly hold the brakes, and it won't shut it off. Or you can simply turn that feature off.

But, it's pretty amusing to me. I was wondering why new ICE cars are so slow off the line when the light turns green. Now I know they gotta turn themselves on first.

Sounds like you’re not sure what you want and it might be a stretch to afford. I’d wait until you are certain you are ready for a Tesla because if you didn’t know for sure after driving one (I presume you have right?) you’re probably not ready. I drove one and knew immediately it was the right car for us and took delivery less than 14 days later. As someone who spends a lot of time off road however, I would never recommend taking a model 3 off pavement unless it was a well graded gravel road, and even then I would hate it. If/when you’re ready, keep the Jeep or a beater to wheel and the Tesla for everything else.

I drove it an loved it.