Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

front/back air circulation in Model 3 for respiratory virus isolation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Transformer

Do the math. Save the world. — Mark Leon
Dec 26, 2019
Silicon Valley
How to maximize isolation from a passenger with Covid or another respiratory virus? Turn on the front and rear fans, sit in opposite corners, and of course wear masks? Or would the rear fan blow more of their exhaled air around to the front? Turn the front fan up high to increase the fresh air intake rate?

While the fans pump air in, where does it exit?
In recirc mode, where does the HVAC take in air from the interior before filtering/heating/cooling, then blowing back into the interior?
In non-recirc mode, does the air exit through vents in the rear of the interior?

This seems like sitting in a restaurant in the non smoking section, right next to the smoking section, and thinking some version of air conditioning is going to make a difference in inhaling smoke.

Your better off both wearing a mask, than depending on anything in the car to do anything related to isolation from other car passengers.

Reactions: BigNick
Your better off both wearing a mask, than depending on anything in the car to do anything related to isolation from other car passengers.
Yes, for sure both wearing good masks. But also what's the HVAC doing?

Even without an infection need, this made me realize I have no idea how air moves through, around, and out of the car's interior. That's what I'm really curious about.