Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front clunking noise while turning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been reading a lot about the popping oil can noises. My M3 makes a noise which seems concerning and different. When i drive slowly out of a parking lot (so off a small lip/curb) while turning steering wheel sharply at the same time, to get onto road, that is when it make a clunk somewhere in the front. Maybe at axel?
Anyone heard this as well?

I have been reading a lot about the popping oil can noises. My M3 makes a noise which seems concerning and different. When i drive slowly out of a parking lot (so off a small lip/curb) while turning steering wheel sharply at the same time, to get onto road, that is when it make a clunk somewhere in the front. Maybe at axel?
Anyone heard this as well?
Yes, I'm experiencing the same thing. Happens when I'm leaving the driveway where one tire is higher than the other and turning slow. I've replaced the sway bar links so I dont think that is the issue. Not sure what it is and am trying to figure out.

I have the same issue pulling out of the driveway. Very weird feeling but not sure if it’s a real problem or some steering system component. This isn’t limited to steering lock— it only takes 1-1.5 turns(before locking)

Mine started making this noise as well about a week ago. It does not matter if the car is level or not or if the car is slowly rolling or at a standstill. Fricken annoying.
Anyone complete a service center inspection of the issue yet? If so, what was the issue and resolution?

Last week I had a service visit for the same reason (2023 MX). I think after "all components torqued to specification" the clunk noise is gone.

Concern: Customer states: Other · Noise & Vibration - 1) Steering wheel continuously vibrates above 10 mph speed even on smooth roads. When a car is entering/exiting driveway, clunk noise is coming out of front right (somewhere around front shaft)

Repair Notes:
road tested vehicle, verified customer concern, found steering wheel slightly vibrating at normal driving speeds, found all 4 tires out of balance, checked torque on all front suspension components, all components torqued to specification at this time, road tested vehicle over bumpy road, could not verify clunk noise

Reactions: davenlei