Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Bouncing clunk type noise after Koni Special Active Install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Back at the end of March, I installed Koni Special Active shocks on my otherwise stock 2020 Model Y Dual motor.
I have this clunk, bouncing, bump sound over small bumps coming from the front end. I can hear it at low speeds, but this could be because of other noises at higher speeds (not sure).

I have checked all the torques related to the install and they are all tight. I have had a shop look at it as well and come to the same conclusion.

I have recently replaced all my front lower control arms and they look good.

The upper control arms do not have play or make any noise either. For good measure, I replaced both the nut and the bolt on the connection to the upper control arm ball joint.

I removed the end links completely from the car and the sound remains. They also do not have any play.

The upper strut bolt was installed holding the rod in place with a 5mm Allen key on a ratchet.

Has anyone else come across this before and possibly have a solution?

I have a few videos of the sound, but am not sure how to upload it.

One video is from the steering wheel, and two more from each of the front wheel wells. I can hear the bumping sound in both wheel wells.

Is it metallic, or liquid? Does it happening only going straight, or only when turning? Could it be an incorrectly seated spring?
It doesn’t sound so much metallic. Maybe more wooden sound, but it follows the shock movement.

It happens when going straight and when turning.

How could I tell if the spring is incorrectly seated?
The springs are both seated right against the bottom rubber seat and are in the same indent in the top seat.

Here are some images I found.
IMG_8292.jpeg
IMG_8362.jpeg
IMG_8107.jpeg
IMG_8027.jpeg
IMG_7698.jpeg

Spring looks OK from those pics!

I ask about the fluid noise because the fluid noise has been reported with some aftermarket suspension installs. I can sometimes hear it with my Ohlins. Hard to tell without hearing it. You can always use YouTube to dump videos!

Looks like it's on compression. The car doesn't feel like it's bottoming out or anything? Do you see any rubbing anywhere? What about the backs?
The car is going at most 30kmh (20mph) in the videos and the bumps are pretty shallow. Filled it cracks kind of bumps. Does not feel like bottoming out at all.

Oddly enough, if makes none of this noise over train tracks.

I don’t see any rubbing marks anywhere. No issues with the rear shocks.

It sounds like something is loose, but I can’t find anything loose and the noise isn’t over all surfaces.
For example, I can’t mimic the sound by pushing on any corner of the car or even by jumping up and down in the frunk.

Has me thinking it’s an issue internal to the shocks. I am leaning towards sending them in for warranty.

The car is going at most 30kmh (20mph) in the videos and the bumps are pretty shallow. Filled it cracks kind of bumps. Does not feel like bottoming out at all.

Oddly enough, if makes none of this noise over train tracks.

I don’t see any rubbing marks anywhere. No issues with the rear shocks.

Are you able to have somebody bounce the front of the car while you listen? Or does it need more load to trigger the noise?