Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front end clunk when pulling out of driveway

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This morning when I pulled out of the driveway (front end first), I could hear an audible clunk from the driver side wheel area. The sound kind of reminds me of a loose tie rod end, or a control arm that isn't tight. Is this something I should schedule a service ranger to come look at? Haven't dealt with anything since the car is only 2 months old. Do they charge you for fixes or charge you if nothing is wrong?

Is it reproducible? If yes, certainly setup an appointment. And yes, they have been using a diagnostic fee that gets waved if it’s warranty work. For example if they were to find out the clunk is due to your lowering springs, you would be on the hook for the diag fee, but if it is a loose ball joint or similar, no fee would be charged.

Reactions: Leonard4
Yeah its consistent, every time I pull out of the driveway with the kids in the car (extra weight i guess?) I hear the front left wheel well clunk as I come off the lip of the driveway. I'll setup an appointment, thanks for the info.

Check the bottom of front bumper for scratches. I have a high pitch driveway and unless I am driving at less than 5 MPH, I will hit bottom going in or out of the driveway. The front of the car will scrape the driveway before the wheels start the incline going in and scrape the street before the wheels hit the flat street. That is, if I go faster then 5 MPH. I am having my driveway ripped up and resurfaced with a evening of the pitch and raising the street a little higher to meet the lip of the driveway. Needed it resurfaced anyway.

My car had similar problem since the first week of ownership. Not just when pulling out of driveway. It happened when I was driving, too. I made an appointment and brought it in to the SC. They determined that it was a bad shock. Got it replaced. The noise was gone. Definitely have them take a look at it.

Reactions: Leonard4