Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front End Noise During Hard Deceleration on AP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a MS Raven LR without FSD. At times when on AP (which I use infrequently), I hear a sort of rattling noise from the left front when the car automatically decelerates rapidly. I cannot duplicate the noise when not on AP and I cannot consistently force the car to make the noise even when on AP. I have a service appointment scheduled, but I fear the tech may not be able to reproduce the noise on a test drive and therefore will not fix the problem. I would appreciate hearing from anyone who experienced a similar noise, especially if you identified the source. Thank you.

After forcing the noise several times, my guess is there is a master cylinder actuator that is activated only on AP that is making the sound, which is a rumbling noise as if a piston is being forced into a dry cylinder. The sound sometimes also occurs when the car comes to a stop and the brake is released. I have an appointment with the SC next Tuesday, but am thinking of postponing to comply with social distancing suggesting.

I brought the car to the SC today. I was correct that the brake actuator is the source of the noise. I was told the noise is normal, but they will check it out anyway. This is the usual response I get when I think something is wrong: "It's not like other cars, it's a Tesla."

I brought the car to the SC today. I was correct that the brake actuator is the source of the noise. I was told the noise is normal, but they will check it out anyway. This is the usual response I get when I think something is wrong: "It's not like other cars, it's a Tesla."
I got the car back. Sure enough, my car is supposed to make an annoying noise under hard automatic braking. I enjoy driving my Tesla, but beyond that my experience has been a huge disappointment.

I got the car back. Sure enough, my car is supposed to make an annoying noise under hard automatic braking. I enjoy driving my Tesla, but beyond that my experience has been a huge disappointment.
I have a 2017 and it also makes the same sound in AP in stop and go traffic during hard stops.

Attachments

• 20190912_163721.jpg
    20190912_163721.jpg
    414.3 KB · Views: 75