Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front License Gone

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Installed last summer, missing today. Anyone else had mysterious disappearance? Obviously was reasonbly well applied or wouldn't have lasted this long. Lots of wind, rain, and high speed driving lately.
I live where meter maids ticket for missing front plate. Any ideas on how to mount replacement?
IMG_2433.jpg

Oh gosh, I hope he doesn't find me. That plate looks really good in my garage :eek:

When I researched this 3 years ago, there were some ridiculous pricing out there for mounting solutions. Some as high as $100 or more. I went to the hardware store and got a couple of long bolts with wing nuts on them. No drilling into the front and it has worked well for almost 3 years now. Maybe there are cheaper solutions now, yet I like my wing bolts. The model 3 looks different in the front, so probably a stupid idea for that car. Mine is on a model X.

• Funny
Reactions: EVMeister
All Model 3's come with a taped-on front license plate frame kit - no bolting or permanent attachment available from Tesla.
Just like the rear spoilers for performance 3's. Hence my question.
I've also note most Tesla folks don't mount a front plate in CA. Wish I could not mount mine...

Reactions: telmod3-2019
If you'd just had a regular plate, I might've thought that it might've fallen off...but seeing it was a vanity plate, there's a very high probability that it was stolen.

I had a vanity plate stolen years ago. It was bolted on instead of using screws but someone stole it in the 15 minutes that I was in a grocery store. I'd bet someone else with a red Model 3 liked your plate and decided they needed it. :(

There's a nature trail near my house. A few months back, someone stole all of five of the interpretive signs that were placed along the trail. They were bolted onto large metal stands. Someone obviously wanted/needed pictures of dinosaurs and rock formations more than the rest of us.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dre78 and WallyP
SMAIset: Since they do ticket for missing front displayed plate, you want to have it on record it was likely stolen. Do they replace plates like this?

"CA DMV says: Duplicate license plates in the same configuration are made to replace personalized and some special license plates. If both personalized license plates are lost or stolen, duplicates with the same configuration cannot be issued. You must apply for another configuration or regular series replacement license plates"

I have the rear mounted with theft prevention caps over the screws. Did the same on the front - and I guess I didn't think it through.
Although whoever has it will have to work to get it out of the frame!

Any recommendations for a front license plate holder that isn't double sticky taped on? Sadly I live where I have to have a front plate
I’ve had mine on for around 4 months (on top of a piece of PPF) and it’s still as solid as the day I put it on. Unless you’re going to be putting it on and taking it off frequently the tape is the way to go.

My Tesla-installed stick-on front license plate fell off within days, probably because I took delivery in very cold New York weather, which meant the adhesive didn't stick well. I bought a Bandit instead. Why won't Tesla just provide a real front license plate holder, when 31 out of 50 states require one - including California?