Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front Motor Gearing Noise

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2018 August delivery 75D seems to be making this mechanical gear noise coming from the front motors during 0-40. No hard acceleration just normal acceleration. I'm not sure if it was there before or not or if it is normal. It sounds like a transmission or differential gearing noise or the mechanical whining noise that some ICE cars have when reversing however a lot more faint. It slowly increases in pitch as you increase in speed from 0-40 and by the time you hit 30-40mph the road noise blocks it out. Its very very faint so I think its probably normal? Just wondering if anyone else has it in their X or S. Thanks in advance. When I coast in neural at 30 mph you can hear it the best. So I know it is not the motor or the regen braking. Any ideas? Its too faint to capture on recording.

Here is a youtube video of the whine in an ICE car. It is a lot more faint probably 5-10% as loud as that.

Oh I've tried recording multiple times but nothing its too faint that why I'm thinking its more normal than not

Mine has noise like an electric train. No grinding or anything, just an electric whir. Sounds loudest when there is little to no load on engine.

I know its not the inverter electric whirl which I actually like. Its definitely more of a mechanical gearing noise that you here sometimes if you kids R/C cars.