Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front radar issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all,
There is a way to calibrate the front radar manually ? Thanks

Attachments

• A9346E24-708B-4B20-A373-DDC69760B09D.jpeg
    A9346E24-708B-4B20-A373-DDC69760B09D.jpeg
    579.8 KB · Views: 415
How do you know you have a radar calibration issue? I get this error when a major camera is blocked by direct sunlight, dirt, bad weather, etc., or any set of circumstances where the autonomous driving does not feel it can do a good job.
Hello, thank you for your question. The FSD was working fine until I took the car to a car wash. The radar became defective and the updates were stopping at 30%. I then purchased a replacement radar and the updates went through but the autonomous driving error message was still there. I need to do a manual calibration because I can’t currently take it to Tesla service center (where they would use toolbox) due to COVID border restrictions in my country. Do you have any recommendations on manual calibration ?
thank you

Basic Calibration:

More details on how to do the Horizontal Calibration:

Horizontal Calibration​

Unfortunately, to receive any feedback from the car about horizontal calibration, you need Tesla’s Toolbox software, which is not available to the general public. However, you can get close enough by hand to meet the tolerances for Autopilot.

1. After performing vertical calibration, notice the other 3.5mm hex nut to the left of the radar. This nut is used for horizontal calibration.
  2. Using a combination of eyeballing and measuring the distance between the radar and radar frame at each corner, adjust the horizontal calibration nut until the radar appears horizontally centered.
  3. Turn on the car. Wait ten seconds. If you see a “Driver Assistance Features Unavailable” message, turn your car off and repeat step 2, ensuring it is off for at least two full minutes between tries. If the DAFU message just won’t go away, get as close as you can, and proceed to step 4.
  4. If you don’t receive the DAFU message, nice work! Take the car for a drive and verify that Autopilot works.
Note: it can take up to 50 miles of driving for Autopilot to self-calibrate after a radar calibration. In such cases you will continue to see the DAFU message for some time even after the radar is properly adjusted.

Gasket Removal (Recommended)​

If your radar still has a beauty gasket around it, and you drive in subfreezing temperatures, it is recommended that you remove it. Instructions can be found here.

Last edited:
Reactions: YieldFarmer
Basic Calibration:

More details on how to do the Horizontal Calibration:

Horizontal Calibration​

Unfortunately, to receive any feedback from the car about horizontal calibration, you need Tesla’s Toolbox software, which is not available to the general public. However, you can get close enough by hand to meet the tolerances for Autopilot.

1. After performing vertical calibration, notice the other 3.5mm hex nut to the left of the radar. This nut is used for horizontal calibration.
  2. Using a combination of eyeballing and measuring the distance between the radar and radar frame at each corner, adjust the horizontal calibration nut until the radar appears horizontally centered.
  3. Turn on the car. Wait ten seconds. If you see a “Driver Assistance Features Unavailable” message, turn your car off and repeat step 2, ensuring it is off for at least two full minutes between tries. If the DAFU message just won’t go away, get as close as you can, and proceed to step 4.
  4. If you don’t receive the DAFU message, nice work! Take the car for a drive and verify that Autopilot works.
Note: it can take up to 50 miles of driving for Autopilot to self-calibrate after a radar calibration. In such cases you will continue to see the DAFU message for some time even after the radar is properly adjusted.

Gasket Removal (Recommended)​

If your radar still has a beauty gasket around it, and you drive in subfreezing temperatures, it is recommended that you remove it. Instructions can be found here.
Thanks a lot for your quick answer. I tried so many times this procedure for the old model but doesn’t work for me. I can’t align the horizontal position because it’s much different than the first version.

Attachments

• 5956AF3B-D072-41AF-B000-CF2BC03206B6.png
    5956AF3B-D072-41AF-B000-CF2BC03206B6.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 258
Unless you stayed on a version of the software from quite some time ago, I forget the version, radar has been disabled in all the recent updates even if physically installed in the car.

Has anyone bought an hour of ToolBox 3 access and recalibrated their own radar? Is it a really quick procedure as I'd like to try it on mine before buying a new unit?
I seemingly only get about 12months out of them before they fail again 😥