Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Front wheel drive/Model Y in the snow?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm considering purchasing a model Y, but had some initial questions about how it does in the snow. Does the long range model come with front wheel drive or rear wheel drive? I've been reading some information that says it used to be front wheel drive, but now it is rear wheel drive. I'm a little confused about the various models and updates available now.

Can anyone comment first hand on how a model Y functions in the snow?

Thanks and regards,

Steph

All Model Ys come with standard All Wheel Drive. The vehicles mostly rely on the rear motor for most of the drive, the front motor is usually only engaged when the vehicle detects it needs more torque/traction.

We had a Model Y for an entire winter season in Alaska (6 months of snow) and it is an amazing vehicle to drive during winter. You just have to get used to the regenerative breaking part which usually takes a couple weeks to learn how to modulate coming to a full stop without having to press on the breaks.

For a short time in 2021 Tesla sold a standard range SR Model Y with rear wheel drive (RWD.) After two months Tesla removed the SR Model Y from the ordering page. Currently Tesla offers three variations of the Tesla Model Y in North America. These are: Dual Motor Long Range Model Y, 5 seat; Dual Motor Long Range Model Y, 7 seat; Performance Model Y (Dual Motor) offered in 5 seat only.

For a short time in 2021 Tesla sold a standard range SR Model Y with rear wheel drive (RWD.) After two months Tesla removed the SR Model Y from the ordering page. Currently Tesla offers three variations of the Tesla Model Y in North America. These are: Dual Motor Long Range Model Y, 5 seat; Dual Motor Long Range Model Y, 7 seat; Performance Model Y (Dual Motor) offered in 5 seat only.
Correct, I should have clarified. All NEW Model Ys come standard with AWD :)

Thank you for the replies. I really would like to order one, but I feel extremely bad/frustrated that I did not order it back in June when I test drove it. I cannot believe that prices seem to have risen by $10,000 or more. I don't think prices will come down anytime soon.

Thank you for the replies. I really would like to order one, but I feel extremely bad/frustrated that I did not order it back in June when I test drove it. I cannot believe that prices seem to have risen by $10,000 or more. I don't think prices will come down anytime soon.
That’s the game, always best to put the $100 down and lock it in. My SA kept pushing me to do this with the promise of putting the order on hold. Not sure if they will do that anymore.

As far as prices coming down, maybe if the EV tax credit doesn’t pass otherwise it will take a couple of years for the prices to come down when Texas and Berlin factories are ranked up.

is the model Y worth it's current price? I just want the basic long range model.
Worth? Yes, there is no other car within its price range that delivers on what Tesla can offer IMO. All new vehicles are seeing an inflated price currently so Tesla is no exception.
The positive side is that the Model Y has one of the best resale values in its class, so they do good on value retention. Also, if you order now, there is a chance that the EV Tax Credit gets introduced and you end up getting some money back, but I would plan without thinking of that because there is an equal chance it doesn't get passed.

Thank you again for the replies. I see paint prices have gone up too :) Didn't it used to be $1000 for another color besides white?

What I would like to order is the Model Y Standard long range in black. Have you ever heard of a negotiation at the Tesla store? :) I test drove one twice back in June and July (2021). I felt pressured into purchasing by the sales associate. If I say I will order now, but would like them to "throw in" the black paint, any chance?

Thank you again for the replies. I see paint prices have gone up too :) Didn't it used to be $1000 for another color besides white?

What I would like to order is the Model Y Standard long range in black. Have you ever heard of a negotiation at the Tesla store? :) I test drove one twice back in June and July (2021). I felt pressured into purchasing by the sales associate. If I say I will order now, but would like them to "throw in" the black paint, any chance?
Tesla doesn't really negotiate prices. It is kind of a double edged sword, on one hand, that is a good thing because everyone pays the exact same prices on cars and there is no added mark ups that traditional dealerships get away with. The other side is that there is no chance for reducing prices or getting a "deal".

I have a feeling that prices will never fall. It would be strange I think to bring them down. Perhaps that could lead to many complaints? It's different than announcing a price hike. They can't really announce a price decrease.

I wish I locked something in back in June :( Now I feel like I lost $10,000. I was hoping they could throw in black paint :)