Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frozen door handles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m sure there are plenty of threads discussing but figured I would rekindle. Here is NY it was 22 degrees this morning and the door handles stuck a little. I’m expectIng it to be worse in the coming months. Any tips on how to prevent/ deal with this issue? I have seen videos that recommend a gentle wack to the door handles, pushing both sides etc. Would live to hear from some folks who have dealt w this!

I've had frozen door handles on every vehicle I've owned in Michigan. What's worse is when the latch in the door freezes so they don't shut after you get in. On my old Ford I would have to hold the door closed with my right arm while I drove with my left until it warmed more and could shut. For the 3/Y, I just punch the fat part of the handle and it opens no problem.

Reactions: David Sowden
It is recommended to do two things to your Tesla when you live in cold climates:
- lubricate your window rubbers with a silicone lubricant. This prevents the windows from freezing to the rubber.
- Lubricate your door handle mechanisms. Pull the handle and you'll see the hinge/mechanism inside. Lube that.

Otherwise, gentle taps on the handle area to release surface ice. When all else fails, condition the cabin and it will slowly heat the handles.

It is recommended to do two things to your Tesla when you live in cold climates:
- lubricate your window rubbers with a silicone lubricant. This prevents the windows from freezing to the rubber.
- Lubricate your door handle mechanisms. Pull the handle and you'll see the hinge/mechanism inside. Lube that.

Otherwise, gentle taps on the handle area to release surface ice. When all else fails, condition the cabin and it will slowly heat the handles.
How often to lubricate the window rubbers? I can’t imagine everyone in cold climates doing this though. What’s the worst thing that can happen that a warranty can’t fix? And when it comes to gentle taps on the handle. Where exactly on the handle?

Window trim scratches will not be covered under warranty afaik. As in when the window doesn't go down when you open the door...

I do once or twice a year close to winter.
Silicone spray is also known to dry up and deteriorate the rubber trim over time.

Source: I used to work at a dealership during college who sold high end autos.