Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Frustrated with voice calling

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I ask to dial a person it brings up that person with the list of phone numbers listed (mobile, home,etc.) But I have to take my eyes off the road to find the number I want and press it! That is insane! May daughters KIA Soul is more robust with voice recognition. You can just say "dial Joe on mobile " and it will do it. Am I missing something or is this a real Tesla shortcoming?

Probably a Tesla shortcoming. Their phone interfacing is sub par compared to a lot of other manufacturers who integrate with Android Mobile or Apple Auto. They just recently even got the ability to voice to text. Definitely still a work in progress for voice commands, but Tesla certainly leads the way with software updates so that is something that will definitely be fixed in the future.

Probably a Tesla shortcoming. Their phone interfacing is sub par compared to a lot of other manufacturers who integrate with Android Mobile or Apple Auto. They just recently even got the ability to voice to text. Definitely still a work in progress for voice commands, but Tesla certainly leads the way with software updates so that is something that will definitely be fixed in the future.
What worries me is this basic technology has been other cars for over 5 years so if Tesla doesn't have it by now odds are it will never come. Is there any way to invoke SIRI?

Why do you say odds are it will never come? They release software updates monthly. Voice commands were just added in December and they were awful when first added. Since then there has already been updates which have made them better. I'd expect plenty more updates to come. They'll almost certainly never have Android auto or apple carplay, but the voice commands will 100% keep getting better. In fact, they improve on the fly with the neural network. Every time it can't understand a command you say to it, that is logged and noted for improvement.

Reactions: preilly44
Why do you say odds are it will never come? They release software updates monthly. Voice commands were just added in December and they were awful when first added. Since then there has already been updates which have made them better. I'd expect plenty more updates to come. They'll almost certainly never have Android auto or apple carplay, but the voice commands will 100% keep getting better. In fact, they improve on the fly with the neural network. Every time it can't understand a command you say to it, that is logged and noted for improvement.
I dont understand when you say voice commands were just added in December. My 2016 MX had voice commands and my 2020 MY seems to have the same voice command issues from 2016.