Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Beta 10.6

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Drove several miles in our small town just now. 50% of unprotected turns are unsatisfactory and 25% scary. Beta products should be useable with some bugs. This is unusable. Enroute it's somewhat worse than AP/NOA but on city streets it's unusable. Beta test drives should have an election seat option. Turned off til the next one
I agree with the fact that unprotected lefts are a challenge. But it doesn’t make the beta unusable. You know it doesn’t handle them very good so you can just pay special attention and give prudence the safety goat an extra stroke whenever beta is doing a turn.

Slowing down at flashing yellows was a perception problem, as shown in Chuck's videos. Some of the flashing yellows were perceived as reds in the visualization.

With perfect perception, planning is easier. I guess planning has to take into account uncertainty as well, which isn't as much of an issue with HD maps.

I guess the motto of Tesla's approach is: it's better to be uncertain than to be certain about the wrong thing, lol.
Not in my video. There it correctly visualizes as flashing yellow. Also the cross-walk is visualized.

vlcsnap-2021-12-05-13h08m26s329.png
vlcsnap-2021-12-05-13h07m18s058.png

Not in my video. There it correctly visualizes as flashing yellow. Also the cross-walk is visualized.

View attachment 740977 View attachment 740978

The thing is, it's possible that it was perceived as red for some milliseconds, so it doesn't show on the visualization.

In Chuck's prior videos with the flashing yellows, the braking was directly correlated with misperception of red.

The thing is, it's possible that it was perceived as red for some milliseconds, so it doesn't show on the visualization.

In Chuck's prior videos with the flashing yellows, the braking was directly correlated with misperception of red.
Actually it wasn't just braking as such - it was an orderly slow down and stop before the cross walk. Same thing happens before the roundabout without a flashing light.

• Informative
Reactions: nvx1977
Actually it wasn't just braking as such - it was an orderly slow down and stop before the cross walk. Same thing happens before the roundabout without a flashing light.

Do you mean it goes from like 28mph to 23mph? Or is it going to basically stop at 10mph?

The slowing down for flashing yellows has been an issue for a long time, and only recently around version 10.0 was it improved or mostly fixed. For me, it doesn't slow down at flashing yellows, maybe on rare occasions.

Do you mean it goes from like 28mph to 23mph? Or is it going to basically stop at 10mph?

The slowing down for flashing yellows has been an issue for a long time, and only recently around version 10.0 was it improved or mostly fixed. For me, it doesn't slow down at flashing yellows, maybe on rare occasions.
No it stops - well, rolling stop at 2mph.

Reactions: powertoold
I agree with the fact that unprotected lefts are a challenge. But it doesn’t make the beta unusable. You know it doesn’t handle them very good so you can just pay special attention and give prudence the safety goat an extra stroke whenever beta is doing a turn.
It didn't do right turns very well either. There was a distant car approaching from the left and it waited until the last safe second to turn in front of it. So it makes protected turns often but not unprotected so that's 50% for the city streets AP. The EAP/AP/NOA has worked well for years so IMHO city streets fails even to be a beta. I shudder to think what straight line driving will be like when it goes to a single stack on NN.

Am I one of the few who felt 10.5 was worse ?? It just added more phantom braking that is even more sudden… and now it will try to stop when 3/4 way through intersection it sees the light turn red …. Or the signaling when you are going on a high curve road as it thinks you are actually turning … when is same road.

Reactions: ahoen117
No it stops - well, rolling stop at 2mph.
Am I doing something wrong ? I have always seen it freeze on a flashing yellow turn arrow … anything longer than 1s stop I have not had chance to try as people will blow up behind me… I even waited 5s once when nobody was around, and it just continued to sit there. Or is flashing yellow turn not a scenario it handles just flashing yellow ?

Am I doing something wrong ? I have always seen it freeze on a flashing yellow turn arrow … anything longer than 1s stop I have not had chance to try as people will blow up behind me… I even waited 5s once when nobody was around, and it just continued to sit there. Or is flashing yellow turn not a scenario it handles just flashing yellow ?
Not sure about 10.6 but previous versions did not proceed with flashing yellow left turn arrows. I'm sure the functionality will be added eventually but for now it will proceed with the turn if you hit the go pedal.

I have some flashing yellows that are singlets, with singlet flashing red for the intersecting road. The car has never hesitated or tried to stop for the flashing yellow, ever since 10.2. On the flashing red side, the car will stop, and I can't remember if it goes on its own (legally, it should be treated as a yield), or if I have to step on the accelerator.

Reactions: powertoold