Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD Check for Model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
is there a way to check for FSD on a Y through an online tool? My parents are looking at some Ys, but the dealer doesn't know if it has FSD.
No online DB that I'm aware of. Dealer will need to access the MY and check under the VIN on the software menu. Not sure if you would be able to contact Tesla with the VIN to confirm FSD, maybe it is worth a shot? Lastly, not sure I would trust this dealer if they don't know. Probably a good chance they are not properly maintaining the battery charge either.

In case of a used car, the only way to transfer FSD is to buy directly from the owner.

If a car is sold by a dealer, Tesla will not transfer it, see many threads about this subject.

Wow, had no idea. I thought that was only when you sell to and buy from Tesla. Actually, I am curious. How does a third party dealer transfer the car to your Tesla account? Looks like they work with Tesla, thus removal of FSD? Does that also apply to EAP too for older builds?

Wow, had no idea. I thought that was only when you sell to and buy from Tesla. Actually, I am curious. How does a third party dealer transfer the car to your Tesla account? Looks like they work with Tesla, thus removal of FSD? Does that also apply to EAP too for older builds?
When they login to your tesla account, there is an option to transfer ownership to another account. No need to go thru Tesla... Bjorn even did a video showing this... The issue with FSD is how the dealer acquired the car in the first place... If it was acquired at auction, that is usually how/when Tesla removed FSD.

Ok thanks. If the car has FSD enabled at the third party dealership, then the buyer should be okay? At that point in time, I don't see how Tesla can intercept?
The only caveat is that if the third party acquired the car from Tesla/Auction, I heard there is sometimes a delay as to when fsd disappears. Just make sure if/when you buy, you have FSD listed in the purchase agreement. That way you have recourse if it disappears.

Ok thanks. If the car has FSD enabled at the third party dealership, then the buyer should be okay? At that point in time, I don't see how Tesla can intercept?

No, that is no guarantee of anything. Tesla may not have caught up with removing it yet.

Do not pay extra for FSD at a car dealership, or "Expect" it to stay there, because you have NO IDEA of the chain of custody of that particular car. It "could" stay, it "could not" stay.

The ONLY way to be 100% sure FSD / EAP will stay with the car is to buy it from the first owner. I am a bit surprised that would not be something you know already though given the activity you have here on TMC is still very much around buying or selling teslas.