Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y has FSD enabled but shows it as an upgrade still?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Very strange situation
So I recently came across a Tesla model Y that has FSD capabilities and has FSD enabled, but when you go to the info section of the vehicle it says "autopilot included" like the non FSD teslas instead of saying "FSD included". The app also says FSD is available as an upgrade indicating it has not been purchased.
I was told that a tesla tech employee owned this Tesla and enabled FSD on the Tesla and it has the full FSD package. I checked the car and confirmed that it does have FSD and also I can see the summon option in the app, so is this some kind of bug or something else? Any help is greatly appreciated. When a tesla employee gets FSD on the car does it actually show as FSD has been purchased or not?
I already checked and it's not a subscription of FSD, it's the full version

Attachments

• copy1.jpg
    copy1.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 146
  • copy2.png
    copy2.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 106
  • copy3.png
    copy3.png
    987.7 KB · Views: 108
  • copy4.png
    copy4.png
    424.3 KB · Views: 98
  • copy5.png
    copy5.png
    677.8 KB · Views: 100
  • copy6.png
    copy6.png
    192.6 KB · Views: 104
Very strange situation
So I recently came across a Tesla model Y that has FSD capabilities and has FSD enabled, but when you go to the info section of the vehicle it says "autopilot included" like the non FSD teslas instead of saying "FSD included". The app also says FSD is available as an upgrade indicating it has not been purchased.
I was told that a tesla tech employee owned this Tesla and enabled FSD on the Tesla and it has the full FSD package. I checked the car and confirmed that it does have FSD and also I can see the summon option in the app, so is this some kind of bug or something else? Any help is greatly appreciated. When a tesla employee gets FSD on the car does it actually show as FSD has been purchased or not?
Are you looking to buy this vehicle as used? If so, employee FSD may not necessarily transfer to you. It could also be the car is still in a free FSD trial period. If you really want FSD, then make sure you have an out if it turns out that it disappears after the ownership changes or factor that possibility in the negotiated price. Note even if you keep the same account, there have been cases where Tesla finds out about an ownership change via DMV databases noting the change in the registration.

Are you looking to buy this vehicle as used? If so, employee FSD may not necessarily transfer to you. It could also be the car is still in a free FSD trial period. If you really want FSD, then make sure you have an out if it turns out that it disappears after the ownership changes or factor that possibility in the negotiated price. Note even if you keep the same account, there have been cases where Tesla finds out about an ownership change via DMV databases noting the change in the registration.
Appreciate the response. Yes this vehicle is used, it's not new so I don't think it has FSD trial period (if there is a way to check I would definitely double check). I just bought the vehicle recently labeled as FSD included. Just never had this situation happen before so I'm wondering if that's true. The account has already been changed under my Tesla account and it still has FSD activated. What I do know is this Tesla has had FSD for at least 3+ months

Appreciate the response. Yes this vehicle is used, it's not new so I don't think it has FSD trial period (if there is a way to check I would definitely double check). I just bought the vehicle recently labeled as FSD included. Just never had this situation happen before so I'm wondering if that's true. The account has already been changed under my Tesla account and it still has FSD activated. What I do know is this Tesla has had FSD for at least 3+ months

Im not sure if you are aware of this or not, but this website (TMC) is not affiliated with Tesla officially in any way, so no one here will be able to do anything other than speculate / guess.

With that out of the way, I am guessing the car is not supposed to still have FSD and at "some point" when Tesla audits stuff, it is going to disappear. I dont know this, but the fact that it shows you can subscribe to FSD does not happen on a car that shows up "properly" in Teslas system with FSD activated "normally".

Im just guessing though, and dont know. Unless you bought the car from Tesla itself, if FSD somehow is removed on the vehicle, you would likely have to go after the seller (not Tesla) if in fact your sales contract actually says FSD is included with the car.

Very strange situation

I am pretty sure that this car has enhanced auto pilot, it does not have FSD. That is why it has summon as an option in the app, and if it does NOT show enhanced auto pilot as one of the optional purchases but does show FSD as a purchase option that will confirm my speculation. If that is the case, and you want to upgrade from enhanced auto pilot to FSD it will cost you half as much as an upgrade from basic auto pilot to FSD would cost.

Keith

Last edited:
This car has enhanced auto pilot, that is why it has summon as an option in the app, and it does NOT show enhanced auto pilot as one of the optional purchases... because it already has it.

Keith
If someone has Enhanced autopilot through normal Tesla channels, a subscription to FSD is $99 a month (not 199 a month), so while this is possible, the subscription price in the app suggests its not the case.

Reactions: E90alex
It might have had its gateway configuration modified to enable FSD on the car itself without officially purchasing it through Tesla.

Obviously this is not something sanctioned by Tesla and the tech probably used his access level/knowledge to his advantage and basically “stole” FSD.

If someone has Enhanced autopilot through normal Tesla channels, a subscription to FSD is $99 a month (not 199 a month), so while this is possible, the subscription price in the app suggests its not the case.

Good catch!

I notice he has the orange download arrow... what you want to bet after he does a software update he either has FSD and the option to subscribe to FSD goes away... OR FSD functionality goes away.

Keith

Good catch!

I notice he has the orange download arrow... what you want to bet after he does a software update he either has FSD and the option to subscribe to FSD goes away... OR FSD functionality goes away.

Keith

I noticed that too (the download arrow). I think this its entirely possible that it goes away, like you said. Its also possible that it doesnt because the car may have it in some sort of non standard way ( like as mentioned by @E90alex ), or something else.

The OPs concern for this is probably what prompted this thread, in fact, but we can only speculate.

It might have had its gateway configuration modified to enable FSD on the car itself without officially purchasing it through Tesla.

Obviously this is not something sanctioned by Tesla and the tech probably used his access level/knowledge to his advantage and basically “stole” FSD.
Thanks everyone for your response, and yes exactly this is my biggest worry. I was under the impression that FSD was fully bought and would stay with the vehicle forever. There is a few things I am going to try to confirm if FSD will stay on the car which will include an update, talking with Tesla directly, and asking the seller again for details. If the tech was "stolen" will it stick to the car forever or would I always have to worry about losing FSD? I don't want that over my head, I've owned a few Teslas and this is the first time I've come across this situation.
Here is what I think:
1. Tech was enabled through MSU, will stay enabled forever
2. Tech was enabled through MSU, will remove if you update or if you take it to get serviced or if Tesla finds out

I have no idea, but anyway I will let you guys know once I figure this thing out just in case anyone comes across a similar situation

Reactions: Fourdoor