Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD in Japan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi dear fellow Tesla owners,

I'm wondering if the typical FSD features like 'smart summon' and 'navigate on autopilot' are available in Japan. I just got my model 3 but could not find any settings in the car menu for them. I did buy the FSD option so this should be okay. Other FSD package buyers please share your experience. Also what is your view on the regulations/atmosphere in general in Japan towards self-driving cars. Cheers!

Reactions: TesQuestJapan
Hi cgiGuy,

sorry for the delayed reply. I've been away for a while.
I'll explain a bit more on the FSD issue in Japan below and by the way I'm located in Tohoku region of Japan.

I have to say that I don't know what I was expecting but it seems that when comparing to the US, the FSD package in Japan (at the moment) is not worth it as:
1. 'Smart summon' is not allowed in Japan.
2. 'Navigation on autopilot' is not allowed in Japan.
3. 'Driving visualizations' are not enabled in Japan.
4. 'Third party chargers' are not shown on the map in Japan.

In other words what do you get with the 7000$ investment? You get "automatic" lane change on high way and even that is actually quite buggy and not really usable.

I'm not sure when we will get up to speed with US/Europe on the SW updates. I've been getting updates regularly but the improvements are small like concerning Bluetooth connection and so on. I understand of course that Japan is not a big market (and will never be?) for Tesla and most likely the best features will come in very delayed if ever. I'm also afraid that when it comes to the 'Autopilot' in Japan, we will have to wait for a really long time for the legislation to change here even if the 'Autopilot' was proven "superhuman" somewhere else. I wouldn't hold my breath ;). Probably the JP car makers will nail it first here.

Additionally (not related to FSD but) the whole Tesla experience in Japan is rather hindered as you cannot even purchase the 'boost to acceleration SW mods' if you wanted due to (If I understood correctly) JP licensing regulations.

I hope this does not come out too negative. The car itself is great but realistically thinking, the autopilot related stuff will be allowed in Japan somewhere in distant future.