Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Autopilot vs FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I purchased fsd, and its now my only form of assistance. There is no double pull option. It is fsd or nothing
It sounds like you do know that you have FSD because it gives you more than 2 Autopilot features.

Then, your question is about double or single pull: You can change the options in the Autopilot menu.

Your question is also about FSD or nothing: Again, you can adjust the options in the Autopilot options. You used to be able to change the options by single or double pull but now it's buried on the screen.

It sounds like you do know that you have FSD because it gives you more than 2 Autopilot features.

Then, your question is about double or single pull: You can change the options in the Autopilot menu.

Your question is also about FSD or nothing: Again, you can adjust the options in the Autopilot options. You used to be able to change the options by single or double pull but now it's buried on the screen.
The optio for double pull is greyed out

The optio for double pull is greyed out

I don't know why, but the principle of all or nothing is the same: If you activate the pull (1 or 2 times), you get what you already chose on the screen below:

1) TACC
2) Autosteer
3) FSD

We used to be able to choose between one and two pulls for TACC vs Autosteer/FSD, but now the above three options can only be selected on your preset screen.

I purchased fsd, and its now my only form of assistance. There is no double pull option. It is fsd or nothing
Hey Joe, that is the case now with everyone with FSD (not sure about folks with AP or EAP). Tesla removed TACC with the most recent versions of FSD, which I'm not really happy about. I liked using TACC sometimes when I just wanted to keep the car in the same lane and have it auto-brake for me. While I really like FSD v12 and use it often, I still would've liked it if TACC was kept as a backup option, at least until they got autonomy finished. Sometimes I don't want the car to change lanes...just auto steer and stay in the same lane.

Hey Joe, that is the case now with everyone with FSD (not sure about folks with AP or EAP). Tesla removed TACC with the most recent versions of FSD, which I'm not really happy about. I liked using TACC sometimes when I just wanted to keep the car in the same lane and have it auto-brake for me. While I really like FSD v12 and use it often, I still would've liked it if TACC was kept as a backup option, at least until they got autonomy finished. Sometimes I don't want the car to change lanes...just auto steer and stay in the same lane.

With FSD purchase, on the Autopilot screen, you now have 3 options:

1) TACC
or
2) Autosteer
or
3) FSD

1715138998449.png

For convenience, I guess you can set up 3 different profiles once so you can manually change the profile accordingly instead of going to the Autopilot screen menu each time (have to be in park to change out from FSD in Autopilot screen):

Profile #1 TACC
Profile #2 Autosteer
Profile #3 FSD

Last edited:
Reactions: ewoodrick
With FSD purchase, on the Autopilot screen, you now have 3 options:

1) TACC
or
2) Autosteer
or
3) FSD

View attachment 1045238

For convenience, I guess you can set up 3 different profiles once so you can manually change the profile accordingly instead of going to the Autopilot screen menu each time (have to be in park to change out from FSD in Autopilot screen):

Profile #1 TACC
Profile #2 Autosteer
Profile #3 FSD
Bear with me as I am getting older everyday .
Please remind me of major differences between those 3. (#3 is Full Self Driving, i.e. Tesla drives itself but may require HUMAN intervention), (#2 is Autopilot?) how is #1 different than #2?. Enjoy yours

3. (#3 is Full Self Driving, i.e. Tesla drives itself but may require HUMAN intervention)
The difference is that you can Navigate On Autopilot on City Streets. It can interact with signals to stop, go, and turn automatically in the city.

, (#2 is Autopilot?)
Autopilot has 2 features:

1) TACC
2) Centering within a lane automatically.

Within a lane that means it cannot automatically turn at an intersection. You have to manually steer to get to another lane in Autopilot but it is automatic in FSD.

how is #1 different than #2?
Profile #1 TACC: can only do one feature: Cruise. It cannot Center a lane automatically at all. You need to manually steer.

Bear with me as I am getting older everyday .
Please remind me of major differences between those 3. (#3 is Full Self Driving, i.e. Tesla drives itself but may require HUMAN intervention), (#2 is Autopilot?) how is #1 different than #2?. Enjoy yours
OMG, I've got a Cybertruck and t only has #1.
Stopping at traffic lights and Stop signs is considered a "Beta" function.

It is so stressful not having FSD now. I'm actually having to keep the car between the lines. I have to push the accelerator to start the vehicle from a red light. It doesn't even turn on the road to follow my route!

#3? Back out of my space at the restaurant, set destination as home. Babysit the car. Much more relaxing.

I'm about to drive 500 miles out next Thursday. I'm not pleased that I don't have FSD for the trip in the Cybertruck

Not sure I understand your question and comment, Thanks anyway.
I think what he’s trying to say is that when you’re on the interstate, you’re not using the “driving on city streets” part of FSD, you’re using Navigate on Autopilot and Auto Lane Change.

Not sure why that poster is making this point since you’d obviously have to pay for FSD or EAP to get those features…seems a little pedantic but I guess it is technically correct.

Anyway, I think your approach is sound. Just get a month subscription while you’re traveling and try it out in different conditions. Personally, I think it’s great and I still wouldn’t pay thousands for it, so it’s probably best to try for a while before you buy. Good luck!

I think what he’s trying to say is that when you’re on the interstate, you’re not using the “driving on city streets” part of FSD, you’re using Navigate on Autopilot and Auto Lane Change.

Not sure why that poster is making this point since you’d obviously have to pay for FSD or EAP to get those features…seems a little pedantic but I guess it is technically correct.

Anyway, I think your approach is sound. Just get a month subscription while you’re traveling and try it out in different conditions. Personally, I think it’s great and I still wouldn’t pay thousands for it, so it’s probably best to try for a while before you buy. Good luck!
Many Thanks. Great input from members of this wonderful site.