Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Can you use Smart Summon while on FSD trial

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello, I have a friend who recently got a Model 3 and has the FSD trial for 3 months. We wanted to use smart summon but the feature is not showing in the app.

Does the FSD trial include smart summon?

He has all the FSD and enhanced autopilot in the Autopilot menu.

I was actually wondering about this too. I got my free trial FSD today and I can click on Summon but it says Summon Disabled. I was able to use FSD on roads, which is odd!

I’m up to date on all apps and phone as well.

I just tried summons but it appears to be there when i press summons in the app.
It looks like it tried to run. It said it was waiting for better accuracy, with the statement "Waiting for accuracy.."
Then the message:
"summon is disabled"

It appears it is trying to work, but cannot for some reason. I don't have the high quality cell connection, I discontinued that. Is that why?

Last edited:
Um. The SO drives a 2021 MY with USS and EAP. Everybody lost Smart Summon (that is, getting the car to drive to one across a parking lot) about the same time, a couple of years ago.

What's left is being able to back the car in or out of a parking place. And that's it. The 2018 M3 with FSD (and USS, and RADAR) had the same thing happen to it: It could back out of the garage, but no retrieval from Far Away.

The ASS (Actually Smart Summon) is supposed to be available sometime between mid April and Any Day After That.

Comments?

Well, between 2:52 p.m. and now, the SO's 2021 MY got updated to 2024.3.10 and FSD 12.3.3. Life now gets interesting.
  1. This car has USS and RADAR, although the RADAR is pretty much disabled.
  2. It very definitely has Autopark; I've used it twice in parking lots and it does its thing. But the view on the screen isn't the fancy one that the Vision-only cars have, but resembles the one we all had a couple of years ago. It's about 10%-20% slower than the Vision-based version, but does the job. Haven't tried parking on the street with it yet.
  3. The App has Summon. After doing the update, I took a close look at the App's UI. Yup, one can back into and out of the garage. Also: It's got the bit where one can apparently summon the car from across a parking lot. Haven't tried either. The 2023 M3 running Vision, 2024.3.6/FSD 12.3.2.1, does not have summon on the app. It does have Autopark, though, which appears to be somewhat more advanced than the one that the 2021 MY is running.
As to ASS: It'll come when it comes.

Finally: Looks like people on 2024.3.6 are being updated to 2024.3.10 at the moment.

Mom and I used summon this morning to try it out. Her phone hooked up quickly while mine took longer. (Casper is kind of picky with my phone anyway, sometimes I can't open the rear trunk or doors without using the app. I have an Android and I'm the second driver. She's the main driver and has a newer iPhone.)

I finally got Summon working. This is under the free 30 day trial period of "Supervised FSD".
I didn't realize that I had to go into the screen, controls, autopilot, summon, to accept and set settings specifically for summon. Apparently Tesla treats it as entirely different risk than FSD.
I don't think it's very good overall however..
I did auto park once. You have to sort of line up your car for the space then put it into reverse. To me, an odd instruction set. But it parked perfectly in my backing into spot case.

Reactions: kpanda17
I finally got Summon working. This is under the free 30 day trial period of "Supervised FSD".
I didn't realize that I had to go into the screen, controls, autopilot, summon, to accept and set settings specifically for summon. Apparently Tesla treats it as entirely different risk than FSD.
I did auto park once. You have to sort of line up your car for the space then put it into reverse. To me, an odd instruction set. But it parked perfectly in my backing into spot case.
Was. It able to activate AutoParl, FSD, Summon works fine. My 2023 MY does have the USS, but no auto park …. Well not that I can activate.

I may be missing something. We have two cars at this household, one a 2021 MY with EAP and USS. It also has RADAR, although my understanding is that that's disabled. The other car is a 2023 M3, bought in September of last year, and had FSD transferred from an older 2018 M3. This car has absolutely no USS.

The 2021 MY has summon; never lost summon; and shows summon on the menus and all that. And it's present on the app, so one can back the car out of the garage and all that jazz. And this is with or without the 30-day trial of FSD. It very definitely has Autopark; we're currently on a longish trip from NJ to Texas. (Eclipses, don't-cha-know). The Autopark on this car doesn't resemble the really fancy autopark visualizations one sees in various release notes. In looks like the old-timey autopark from a few years back.

The 2023 M3 has no Summon buttons anywhere on any menu. The app, when selecting this car, has no Summon section. The car very definitely has the fancy Vision stuff and Autopark. Note that that car is not on any free trial; we bought FSD for a few grand back in the day and, as such, it remains.

So: If you have an older Tesla with USS and didn't have neither EAP nor FSD, you didn't have Summon, because that's not a feature of Standard Autopilot. When you got the FSD free trial, then, what with USS and all, you got the latent Summon that had been hanging around but not enabled.

The 2023 M3 over here doesn't have USS, doesn't have Summon, but, hopefully, will get it one of these days when Tesla releases Actually Smart Summon, which will be running on vision and all.

I may be missing something. We have two cars at this household, one a 2021 MY with EAP and USS. It also has RADAR, although my understanding is that that's disabled. The other car is a 2023 M3, bought in September of last year, and had FSD transferred from an older 2018 M3. This car has absolutely no USS.

The 2021 MY has summon; never lost summon; and shows summon on the menus and all that. And it's present on the app, so one can back the car out of the garage and all that jazz. And this is with or without the 30-day trial of FSD. It very definitely has Autopark; we're currently on a longish trip from NJ to Texas. (Eclipses, don't-cha-know). The Autopark on this car doesn't resemble the really fancy autopark visualizations one sees in various release notes. In looks like the old-timey autopark from a few years back.

The 2023 M3 has no Summon buttons anywhere on any menu. The app, when selecting this car, has no Summon section. The car very definitely has the fancy Vision stuff and Autopark. Note that that car is not on any free trial; we bought FSD for a few grand back in the day and, as such, it remains.

So: If you have an older Tesla with USS and didn't have neither EAP nor FSD, you didn't have Summon, because that's not a feature of Standard Autopilot. When you got the FSD free trial, then, what with USS and all, you got the latent Summon that had been hanging around but not enabled.

The 2023 M3 over here doesn't have USS, doesn't have Summon, but, hopefully, will get it one of these days when Tesla releases Actually Smart Summon, which will be running on vision and all.
My Model Y is a 2023, but with USS (I know, very few like that, early build late 2022). I got the 2024.3.10 with FSD 12.3.3. FSD and Summon are fully working. But, no sign of auto park anywhere. I don’t had the ear or FSD prior to this update. Took the car out on a few occasion, one in a parking lot with clear lines, the fancy display was not showing any “p” space. Tried again today on the streets for parallel parking… nothing was working. Drove slowly, stopped, put the car in reverse… no button to start the auto parking… clearly not there for me.

My Model Y is a 2023, but with USS (I know, very few like that, early build late 2022). I got the 2024.3.10 with FSD 12.3.3. FSD and Summon are fully working. But, no sign of auto park anywhere. I don’t had the ear or FSD prior to this update. Took the car out on a few occasion, one in a parking lot with clear lines, the fancy display was not showing any “p” space. Tried again today on the streets for parallel parking… nothing was working. Drove slowly, stopped, put the car in reverse… no button to start the auto parking… clearly not there for me.
i have the same Y, late 2022 build MYP, autopark shows up when you are in the parking lot
1712230936020.png

Reactions: Olyts