Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD on 2.0 ...free upgrade to 3.0?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If I buy a used vehicle with FSD but which runs on the 2.0 (or 2.5) autopilot computer... am I eligible to request the free upgrade of computers to 3.0 at Tesla SC, despite it not having been ME that specifically paid Tesla for the FSD subscription (only paid indirectly via private purchase of the car from the person who did originally spec it up with FSD)

I thought any car with FSD (purchased, not subscribed) was eligible for the free HW3 upgrade, regardless of who purchased it. However, there have been recent reports here lately of people without FSD getting free HW3 upgrades, so it might be a moot point. Don’t know if things are different in the UK.

If I buy a used vehicle with FSD but which runs on the 2.0 (or 2.5) autopilot computer... am I eligible to request the free upgrade of computers to 3.0 at Tesla SC, despite it not having been ME that specifically paid Tesla for the FSD subscription (only paid indirectly via private purchase of the car from the person who did originally spec it up with FSD)
Yes, here in the USA, if the previous owner had purchased (not subscription) FSD and it got transferred to you with the vehicle, the vehicle is eligible for free 3.0 FSD computer and new cameras. Here is what I am getting.
I have a 2016 Model S (AP 2.0) with EAP and just purchased FSD @$2,000. I just got the complimentary installation of FSD computer (AUTOPILOT.ECU,3.0,UNFUSEDASSEMBLY(1655000-90-I) via mobile service. Now I have another appointment for replacing the cameras and here are the part numbers.
1. INLINE TRIPLECAMERA(1120520-00-C)
2. B-PILLAR CAMERA,LEFT(1069104-SL-D)
3. B-PILLAR CAMERA,RIGHT(1069104-SR-D)
4. SIDE REPEATER TRIM -CHROME AERO RIB -LEFT HAND(1514877-01-C) with LAMP ASSEMBLY -SIDE REPEATERCAMERA - LEFTHAND(1495866-22-C)
5. SIDE REPEATER TRIM -CHROME AERO RIB -RIGHT HAND(1514878-01-C) with LAMP ASSEMBLY -SIDE REPEATERCAMERA - RIGHTHAND(1495867-22-C)
I have been told that the last alphabet (A, B, C and D) in the part number indicates the progression of technology and later generation of the part.

Yes, here in the USA, if the previous owner had purchased (not subscription) FSD and it got transferred to you with the vehicle, the vehicle is eligible for free 3.0 FSD computer and new cameras. Here is what I am getting.
I have a 2016 Model S (AP 2.0) with EAP and just purchased FSD @$2,000. I just got the complimentary installation of FSD computer (AUTOPILOT.ECU,3.0,UNFUSEDASSEMBLY(1655000-90-I) via mobile service. Now I have another appointment for replacing the cameras and here are the part numbers.
1. INLINE TRIPLECAMERA(1120520-00-C)
2. B-PILLAR CAMERA,LEFT(1069104-SL-D)
3. B-PILLAR CAMERA,RIGHT(1069104-SR-D)
4. SIDE REPEATER TRIM -CHROME AERO RIB -LEFT HAND(1514877-01-C) with LAMP ASSEMBLY -SIDE REPEATERCAMERA - LEFTHAND(1495866-22-C)
5. SIDE REPEATER TRIM -CHROME AERO RIB -RIGHT HAND(1514878-01-C) with LAMP ASSEMBLY -SIDE REPEATERCAMERA - RIGHTHAND(1495867-22-C)
I have been told that the last alphabet (A, B, C and D) in the part number indicates the progression of technology and later generation of the part.
Just curious, why are they replacing the cameras? Did they get higher resolution at some point? I have a 2018 and am going in next week for HW 3.0 upgrade. Should I be asking for cameras too?

Just curious, why are they replacing the cameras? Did they get higher resolution at some point? I have a 2018 and am going in next week for HW 3.0 upgrade. Should I be asking for cameras too?
I responded to your other thread about “Hardware 3.0” before seeing this. All Model 3s have at least HW2.5 and the newer cameras, so you don’t need a camera upgrade.

Reactions: rcarpen22
This Tesla page clearly states that "legacy" cameras need to replaced to take full advantage of the FSD features.
Q: Why do early production cameras need to be replaced?
A: Camera replacements are required to access a continuously expanding suite of Full Self-Driving capability features.

Not higher resolution but they added blue color filters later. Presumably all of the FSD training data is based on the RCCB cameras is why they are requiring them to be replaced.

Reactions: Jackman