Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

FSD on a trial basis? Or as a monthly leased service?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Personally think IF (and it's still an If) Tesla gets AP working it will further delineate various offerings.
(And I day that as Elon's latest tweet about the new AP being 'pretty good' at roundabouts in 12 months - 'pretty good' is not autonomy)

1. Personal Autopilot - Roughly priced as current. I think it's near the limit for an average driver

2. Commercial Autopilot - More for the Semi and including the convoy feature, and APIs for corporate system integration (eg. GPS)

3. Rental Autopilot - Enhanced system for rental companies/ fleets

4. Rideshare Autopilot - includes integration to Tesla/3rd party rideshare platforms, in-car camera, valet or some future wireless charging - this they can initially charge big $s or even an hourly rate.
Ultimately competition will bring this down and actual ride share fares will fall

Reactions: BlindPass
Question: If I had bought it with my car, I believe I'd pay sales tax ("use tax") on the entire purchase including FSD. (Unless I'm wrong.) But if that's true, and I instead bought it now, after the sale for the same price to have it permanently, would I owe sales tax on it, or is it sold as a "service" with no sales tax? If it would be treated differently, tax-wise, then I'd say NOBODY should buy it with the car. They'd be better off waiting until registration is paid for, and buy it later to save the tax. (I'm in California.)

Pardon the bump. I asked this question and still wondering, but it was buried in a longer post.