Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Full Self-Driving Capability in the future

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sooooo.....how confident are you that our cars have all the technology needed to do "full self driving" in the future? I prefer to pay now versus pay later, but what if the car needs additional retrofit sensors or perhaps 5G internet before that can became a reality? Or heaven forbid, brand new "brains" like a computer module for something? Is Elon going to foot that bill? The skeptic in me wonders aloud.

I'm not a techie or anything and that's why I ask. I'm also coming off a 2017 Audi that has experienced a number of electronic glitches and they've been making cars for a long, long time. Any thoughts?

First, the disclaimer: I am not a Lawyer.

Okay, Now that THAT is out of the way, the way I see it:

If I buy something now to be enjoyed in the future, I have entered into a contractual agreement with the one that promised the something. I am willing to pay for it, they are committing to provide it. If self-driving becomes a thing and you still have your vehicle, then it will be delivered. If the vehicle needs additional stuff to make it work, it is implied that the "stuff" will be added to your vehicle.

The real question here is: Will FSD actually become a thing within the timeframe you will own your current Tesla?

"Are you feeling lucky punk? Are you?" (paraphrase of Dirty Harry)

For me, 2 grand to upgrade wasn't going to kill me and worth the gamble.

For you? well, only you know where your threshold is for such a gamble.

-Mic drop-...

Elon promised....

By the way, how does the car get from point A to B today? Two cameras mounted between two microphones seems to have worked well for over 100 years.

And 5G Internet? Yea, that will never be a requirement. Self-driving all has to be integrated in the car.
I can see a picture now, a bunch of cars stopped just outside of town.....
"They haven't added the new cell site yet"

Or the middle of rush hour. Cars sitting on the road, drivers out of their cars.

"Did AT&T crash again?"

Sooooo.....how confident are you that our cars have all the technology needed to do "full self driving" in the future? I prefer to pay now versus pay later, but what if the car needs additional retrofit sensors or perhaps 5G internet before that can became a reality? Or heaven forbid, brand new "brains" like a computer module for something? Is Elon going to foot that bill? The skeptic in me wonders aloud.

I'm not a techie or anything and that's why I ask. I'm also coming off a 2017 Audi that has experienced a number of electronic glitches and they've been making cars for a long, long time. Any thoughts?

In case you don't know, Tesla is hosting an "Autonomy Investor Day" on April 22 where they will demo their latest Full Self-driving software. It will be livestreamed so make sure to watch it. It should give us the best indicator yet of how far along Tesla is in their Full Self-Driving project. So it should answer a lot of your questions.

You will sell the car and get another one before self driving happens.

Depends on when you bought your car. If you bought a car like 10 years and need to buy a new one in the next 1-2 years, you are right. In my case, I just bought a Model 3 8 months ago so I will most likely see self-driving before I need to sell mine.

Depends on when you bought your car. If you bought a car like 10 years and need to buy a new one in the next 1-2 years, you are right. In my case, I just bought a Model 3 8 months ago so I will most likely see self-driving before I need to sell mine.
It more depends on how we are defining "self driving." If we are defining it as Elon defines it, then yes, probably 1-2 years. But if we are defining it as SAE Autonomy Levels define Level 5, then more like 5-10 years.